Ultimate Larry King Mess Up

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by adm62, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I would say it's time for Larry to go...except when that happens they'll likely replace him with RYAN SEACREST.

I'll take Grandpa.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I actually thought Jerry got a little too miffed in that case - Larry's question wasn't THAT clueless/unreasonable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZfUgVSfKdQ

3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

It's interesting, because usually you associate dumbing down with vacuous younger presenters with shiny white teeth and permanent smiles.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm pretty sure they would want to replace him with somebody who has too much going on to risk it all by asking guests tough questions. Seacrest would fill that bill.

5. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I seem to remember some horrible goofs when he interviewed Clapton. It was obvious that he had no idea who Clapton was other than that he played guitar.

I think the Tate thing even beats the Arsenio Zappa interview.

7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I like her too.

8. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

"One month after Brittany Murphy's death, her husband Simon Monjack said Hollywood contributed to the actress' death.

In a new interview with Larry King, Monjack and the actress' mother - Sharon Murphy - opened up about their loss."

http://ca.tv.yahoo.com/news/article...rphys-husband-hollywood-broke-brittanys-heart

Looks like this^ is in the can. I wonder if he asked the mother how her daughter's music sales will be affected.

9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Hey, I might be in the minority here, but I like Larry King. He's funny in his own way, and fair and balanced more than any other talk show host IMO. He gives everyone a fair shake no matter what side of the political playing field. I remember about 2 weeks ago, he had a guy bring some exotic animals into the studio. One of the critters was a frog. He then started sing "Jeremiah was a bullfrog, was a good friend of mine":laugh: He also handled that Carrie Prejean real well!:thumbsup:

10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

What's with the gay thing? I really don't care if someone is gay or not and it's getting really old having it shoved down your throat all the time.
    I used to have a Manager that would talk about the sex him and his wife had all the time, I finally told him I wasn't interested. Why do guests go on NPR and bring this up? It's really no one business and for me it ruins the interview.

I like Terry Gross, maybe she wouldn't bring it up if they weren't going on about it on a daily basis.

No offense met to anyone, gay or straight, but can we get on with it?:wave:

As for Larry King... You can't blame him for hanging around, the money's good. His boss should offer him a retirement plan and get another interviewer. Larry is getting hard to look at, I keep waiting for him to accidentally spit out his dentures.

11. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Ive never taken him seriously really. He seems like a decent enough older guy that LET his time pass him by. He doesnt want to seem relevant or timely, and basically seems to be reading stuff off cue cards written for him, and trying to have some fake emotion about what he is asking. To me seems very obviously fluff, but trying to masquerade as semi-serious.

12. He's only 76? He looks a million times older than my grandma and she's 82.

13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Larry might be ok to have a drink with and listen to Jackie Gleason stories. As an interviewer of any relevant subject he is astonishingly poor.

14. ???:confused:

You mean his wife, Sharon?

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Preferably listening to Jackie Gleason records instead. That way, before he opens his mouth big enough for his foot, I could say, "Shaddup, and listen to the transience of these highs!"

16. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Maybe it is time for Larry to retire.

17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I remember an interview/ profile of him from several (many) years ago on '60 Minutes' or another tv magazine show. When asked what he did in preparation for his nightly talk shows, he replied "I read the paper". He went on to explain that he did not prepare at all, but that he loved to read the daily newspapers everyday and loved politics so all he knew and all the preparation he ever needed was the general knowledge he gleaned from the papers. He stated his ideal interview would be absolutely no preparation and no idea whom the guest was - to show up for the interview cold with someone who was a stranger to him and start a conversation.

King is not well educated, never went to college (barely graduated from high-school, IIRC) and despite his love of reading the daily papers I got the distinct impression that he is not a well-read man and that his reading was restricted to the daily papers, gossip columns, the 'racing form', and the odd celebrity biography. I don't think he's stupid but he's not particularly bright, either. I would summarize his career long problem as laziness - intellectual laziness.

He became popular on tv because his show was able to book almost anyone it wanted - especially guests who were hot at the moment and there was much competition by other news organizations for them. The reason why guests prefer his show is that his interviews are 'soft', especially for politicians and celebrities facing a scandal.

He is truly one of the worst interviewers, if not the worst on television today. CNN should be ashamed of itself for allowing him to linger on. He must know where the bodies are buried; I can't think of another reasonable explanation for his career. There was a rumour about a year or two ago that Leno would take over King's time-slot as King's contract was about to expire. CNN inexplicably resigned King. I think it would have been an ideal gig for Leno.

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Didn't his last autobiographical book get unusually good reviews?

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I think if one was to ask random people in the street about who murdered Roman Polanski's wife Sharon Tate and give three possible answers (a) the Manson Family, b) Roman Polanski, c) Lee Harvey Oswald), a number of people would mix up the murder and the rape case and answer b).

That's what probably happened in Larry King's mind during the interview when he tried to ask a "clever" question, but it would not have happened if he really had prepared the interview and gone through basic info about the Tate and Polanski families.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If you asked random people in the street about it, they'd probably go "huh?" most of the time. I don't think the average person knows squat about any of this.

What the "average person" thinks doesn't excuse King's mistake, as one would hope that an interviewer knows more than the "average person". As you mention, if he was better prepared, it wouldn't have happened...

21. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

There are other orifices, but you'd need lube.

22. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Yeah, I meant I would have expected Larry to get that confused, given the recent arrest, before I'd have expected him to confuse Polanski with Manson.: winkgrin:

23. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Did you really use the term "gay" and the phrase "shoved down your throat" in the same sentence? :laugh:

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, then...

Gad! What is this forum coming to?:laugh:

25. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I just listened to the clip from Youtube and I'm in tears laughing. She said "um. Roman Polanski didn't murder my sister..". He tries to make a feeble "save" and get her to say something bad about him and she says "I have no problem at all with Roman Polanski"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.