Ultimate Led Zeppelin Vinyl Pressings!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Not sure, never heard an Italian LZ II.

2. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Some countries had to receive a first-generation copy to make their matrices. Maybe they had never heard of the problems generated by the RL explosive cut. Which explains the fact that my second Italian pressing has the same dynamics as the RL. The local engineer felt it had to be cut less hard to keep the tape's qualities. 4 decibels less than the RL cut!

Cereal Killer likes this.
  3. Leonthepro

I think you lose 1 decibel for each copy you make of a tape. If that means anything here.

4. Christophe Lethimonnier

Yes...and I can prove it!

5. Christophe Lethimonnier

Probably. But I compared my different rips with each other. By taking care to adjust the same sound level compared to the RL cut (the absolute reference). If there is a difference, it is almost imperceptible.

6. Christophe Lethimonnier

The dynamics is the same on uncompressed presses that I own. After, the listening sensation is significantly different (RL vs GP) or sometimes very different, almost with an approach diametrically opposed to the philosophy of the recording wanted by the band ( second Italian LP vs RL). Hence a subject of controversy already mentioned here on this thread.

7. Christophe Lethimonnier

I wonder how do you post photos on this site?! :shh::help:

8. Leonthepro

You need to upload a photo somewhere first.
    Postimage.org — free image hosting / image upload works for me.

Then copy the URL of the image and click the image icon next to the smiley on the chatbozx options. Paste the image in there and click ok.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Lose 1 decibel of what?

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The “added” reverb is probably just the compression.

11. Leonthepro

Of dynamic range. Thats the general rule I heard. At least when it comes to making tape copies of tapes.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That better be pretty quiet vinyl cut 4dB less than the RL or the surface noise will be pretty audible in many parts.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t think that’s true. You might have 1dB less signal to noise. Even then I doubt 1dB is hard and fast.

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. Christophe Lethimonnier

Probably. But Led Zeppelin ll US second Monarch Pressing now sounds like a garage band! :laugh:

15. Christophe Lethimonnier

Personally, I chose a reference press. Here the mythical RL. Then I adjust the volume as accurately as possible for a fair comparison. But before, only by looking at a graph, I see the management of the compression. Today, only seeing the graphic of my second Monarch press, I knew that listening would be mediocre.

16. Christophe Lethimonnier

For example, for the second Italian pressing, I saw that the pressing was cut less strong. But on the chart there were a lot of ups and downs. When I adjusted it against the RL, the graph was almost identical. Subtle variations almost inaudible to the ear. Same graphs for Piros and some PF ( german engineer).

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Bob Ludwig likely didn’t add compression - and any other pressing which was mastered without compression (and short of some pretty dramatic added low end) would have basically the same dynamic range. There’s no magic to that.

18. Christophe Lethimonnier

I had the chance to pick up a totally mint copy of this wonderful pressing. Stellar pressing. Just three or four pops barely audible. A member here had asked me to send him the HD file. As he sounded like a cd, he thought I had retouched! My cartridge reduce remarkably surface noise!

19. Christophe Lethimonnier

Thank you. for your help. :edthumbs: I will see if I can post some pictures. I'll keep you informed.

Leonthepro likes this.
  20. Christophe Lethimonnier

Yes quite. I think RL had a great master tape. He understood that it was necessary to bring a three-dimensional touch in the mastering to explode the bomb in the middle of the living! :righton:

21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I believe Bob Ludwig stated he added some compression to specific bass frequencies to give the album some added kick.

Dr. Funk and Leonthepro like this.
  22. Christophe Lethimonnier

I tried your website hosting pictures as well as others. It does not work !? A problem with the browser of my tablet? So I posted some pictures on my Facebook account. Tape my first name and my name like this : Christophe Lethimonnier. You should see the graphics?

23. Christophe Lethimonnier

Yes, it is possible that Robert Ludwig has added extra punch but always with a concern for great readability. I have a German pressing of the 80s. The bass is monstrous ... but it does not work like a RL. Too much bass can kill a brilliant mastering !

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’ve never read this. Source?

25. DPM

DPM Senior Member

It was an interview with Robert Ludwig that I read years ago. I don't remember where. (Internet or magazine)