Ultimate Led Zeppelin Vinyl Pressings!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Feb 26, 2015.

1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’ve seen several interviews with him - written and video - on the topic of LZ2 and I’ve never heard him mention anything like this.

2. DPM

DPM Senior Member

What's the big deal one way or the other? He did the same thing when he was mastering Guns And Roses's Chinese Democracy. A little frequency-band-specific compression in the low frequencies adds some kick to a mix. It's nothing new. It doesn't really affect the dynamic range in any significant way. Why do you think the turntables of the day had a problem tracking that first run of Zeppelin II?

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If it’s not a big deal one way or another, why did you bring it up?

Adding some compression (which can give the perception of more kick) would not have been why cheap turntables had tracking problems.

4. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Because you stated that Bob Ludwig "likely didn't add compression". Well, he did. But it wasn't compression to make the whole recording louder (ala the volume wars we now find ourselves embroiled). It was to add a bit of extra kick or oomph to the presentation.

Now whether or not that added sense of kick was part of what caused those cheap turntables to skip--I'll concede the point that the extreme dynamics alone could probably have accomplished that on their own. And I can't remember whether or not Bob Ludwig also added more bass via EQ. In the end it doesn't really matter as the result was a great sounding, dynamic (but hard-to-track) album that got pulled from the shelves all too quickly. Now to get a clean copy you have to come up with lots of $. ARGH!!!

I just wish Jimmy Page had let Bob L. have another go at Led Zeppelin II when these latest reissues were done. Such a missed opportunity.

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

An image URL looks like this
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81ep8rBNqFL._SL1500_.jpg

Put that into the image icon next to the smiley.

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Except you have no evidence he added compression other than some long ago memory...

7. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Send me a personal message with your address and I will send you the pictures of the graphics. You will see for yourself that the dynamics are much the same for the pressing that we have mentioned lately ( RL, GP, PF, It...). There are subtle variations but that's it! After there are more obvious variations in the soundstage.

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Jeez! How did the subject turn to DR values on a vinyl thread?:doh:

9. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Copy that of any online image or...

[​IMG]

Copy that link from postimages site:
    [​IMG]

Then click the image icon and paste in there:
    [​IMG]

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good grief...1) who mentioned “DRs” and 2) look at the thread title. :doh:

It’s not some dorky fanboy “gee, isn’t LZ2 the awesomest album ever” or “what’s your 2nd favorite song on side 2” thread. Compression is a pretty important part of mastering - including vinyl mastering. The only thread crap I see is someone complaining that a discussion of ultimate pressings might actually turn to discussing the finer points of the mastering of said albums...

11. Slick Willie

LOL!
    Yep, compressing to digital is find DR values is an awesome way to discover the ultimate vinyl pressing!
    And picking the finer points apart helps a whole bunch too.
    Zep II RL is the ultimate....no debate, move on to the other titles.
    :p
    Oops, forgot to number my points...

paddycook likes this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

1) Again, who (other than you) mentioned DRs and 2) you do realize “compression” and “DR” are not the same thing? o_O

13. Slick Willie

I went back, seems I misread, my apologies.
    And yes, I do.

14. Christophe Lethimonnier

Led zeppelin ll RL pressing is probably one of the most dynamic vinyls with at times the most compressed sounds! This is the sound signature of the final mix ... wanted and approved by Jimmy Page. Seems to me ?

15. Slick Willie

Was it not approved by Eddie Kramer? JP just said to cut it hot?

16. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

1. The plural of vinyl is vinyl.

2. Stop.

3. Ahmet Ertegan had the record pulled.

4. Stop.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  17. Christophe Lethimonnier

Il y a un argument qui est indiscutable au sujet de la RL pour le désigner comme étant le plus urgent, c'est précisément ce que Jimmy Page voulait le plus probablement.
    Yes I can imagine. But if Jimmy Page had disapproved of some of Eddie Kramer's choices, they would have discussed it together. I can not imagine the opposite? Listening to the second Monarch press, I wondered if Jimmy Page knew the problems with RL mastering? How did the band sell millions of copies of this awesome album with such random pressings? It remains a mystery for me! Jimmy Page was a perfectionist!

18. Christophe Lethimonnier

violetvinyl likes this.
  19. Slick Willie

Common knowledge, nothing to do with who approved it.

20. Slick Willie

I'm sure that JP had approval on the initial cuts... of the UK stampers. The US, and a lot of other countries would get dupe tapes to cut theirs.
    On II, and going by an interview on the web (and my memory), RL took the test press to Kramer who at that time had a lot of clout. It was approved and stampers were cut. Not normal procedure from what I can gather.
    With III, JP rejected 4 other cuts, it appears he did not concern himself with the US pressings. I suspect this was true for all non UK, at least until the Swan Song years.
    As far as being a perfectionist, some of the early albums were recorded while on tour at different studios with different quality results.
    After years of studio work and touring, I doubt if a golden ear was one of JP's strong points.
    But of course....I was not there.:)

21. Christophe Lethimonnier

It is possible to obtain a great dynamic range by incorporating very compressed sounds. That, normally, is in the final mix. Then the engineer who has to produce a mastering can compress the dynamic range. Or cut the tape by reducing the input level. Unfortunately many engineers have chosen the first solution to avoid blowing the needle with side Two of the album Led Zeppelin ll. Sometimes both sides as on my second pressing Monarch!

22. Christophe Lethimonnier

Very interesting ! Curiously I think that the first two albums are rather well recorded. My Led zeppelin hybrid (MO, SRC, AT @ GP, DK already mentioned in this thread) is sublime. Led Zeppelin lll sounds very handcrafted but it works well with the rustic atmosphere of the album. Finally it is the fourth album that I find least mastered. He lacks breathing. Musically it's a masterpiece.

23. Slick Willie

I was under the impression that more care was taken with the fourth...but I could be misremembering.

24. Christophe Lethimonnier

No you are right. A lot of care in the mix. An excellent recording but it's me who is wrong. I spoke of mastering. I feel that it lacks a bit of dynamics and depth. My Led Zeppelin is dantesque next ... even while listening with my helmet! I own two SRC presses. Cut by George Piros. 1977 and New audio mastering 1982. The latter has a very compact sound. Granite. Rock'n roll sounds almost mono! A very clean sound, almost polite. Nice but a slightly different sensation of pressing 1977. The latter is airier, warmer and more cottony. I hope I'm using the right adjectives!?

25. Christophe Lethimonnier

I was talking about my Led Zeppelin l. Repress 1977. With my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones, Dazed and confused is amazing! Threatening. A real spectacle of désolation!

Bigbudukks likes this.