Ultimate Led Zeppelin Vinyl Pressings!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

:confused::confused::confused:

2. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

I think that @Raunchnroll was only kidding about all that foreign pressings stuff...don't take it literally. ;)

dee and Christophe Lethimonnier like this.
  3. Christophe Lethimonnier

I hope not! Although it is true that it was me who triggered a chain reaction by wanting to share an experience that I considered interesting. Foreign pressings do not seem to arouse much curiosity. Some tell interesting stories. See my posts on the mythical Led zeppelin ll RL both sides German LP ( IMHO, à Presswell pressing with German labels). The second Italian pressing of this album opened philosophical perspectives, but......... Never mind. Now I prefer to share my impressions on the private messaging of this site with the people who wish it.

4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I was having fun. Still wondering about that Antarctic cut though.:)

Seems everyone has their favorite pressing. I've contributed a bit over the years to Led Zep pressing threads. My favorites are:
    s/t: US Monarch cut by George Piros in the mid 70's
    II : US Monarch RL cut
    III: UK plum A5
    IV: UK A3/B3 or 4 w/ Porky & Pecko scribings
    HOH: US Monarch RL cut
    PG: US Monarch
    Presence: same

I mostly stick to the US & UK early cuttings. I'm sure there are other good ones out there.

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Have you tried the classics? What are your thoughts?

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Awesome list. I need to try some of the UKs. Curious if you have heard the Davis remaster of III or In through the Out Door? Those are two standouts for me.

7. Christophe Lethimonnier

I want this list! :agree: Lucky devil! :righton:

8. Christophe Lethimonnier

A precious list! And a great contribution from you ... as often. :righton: And I am really sincere. As I appreciate the comments of other contributors.

9. Christophe Lethimonnier

The famous Led Zeppelin ll Antarctic cut. " Cold mix"! [​IMG]

10. Leonthepro

[​IMG]

dee, Jam757, metalrules and 11 others like this.
  11. Christophe Lethimonnier

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

dee, captainsolo, MBT68 and 2 others like this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Correct that the bottom end of the UK plum LZ3 is lacking (among other things). At least on my copy.

But the Classic’s top end is almost comical.

dee and hi_watt like this.
  13. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

I echo Raunchroller on this list, almost completely! I've shared few of these thoughts before as well, on Physical Graffiti most recently.

LZI: I had the Japanese Pioneer as recommended on here..not enough 'oomph' in comparison, as someone recently mentioned. I rank it 3rd, the Classic 2nd.
    LZII: Monarch RL is best, with the original UK A2/B2 second, the Presswell RL comes third. Never heard a 70's Piros.
    LZIII: I think the Classic has many charms, and rank it 2nd, and the tubey sound of the Canadian red label is also a cool way to hear the record from time to time.
    LZIV: Same as III...really like the Classic and it is a close second to a UK 1st for me. Had a US Monarch but was not satisfied compared to the UK and Classic.
    HoH: I have both the UK A1/B1 George Peckham as well as UK A2/B2 RL. I like the Porky best, but would like to hear an early US Monarch RL.
    PG: US Monarch is a beautiful listen...not cut as hot as the 1st UK. It's tonally rich...a great listen.
    Presence: I also liked the Classic, but Monarch is certainly a touch better. Don't own a UK.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

You mean its too much or too little? I found some strings be a little edgy but thats mostly it.

The main difference I feel is its lack of punch and drive in the mid range. Giving a more audiophile experience rather than rock and roll. Its the best you will ever hear Since Ive Been Loving You Im quite sure though.

The 2014 remaster sort of blends these 2 elements together a bit better if I remember right.

15. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

I really do like the original Plum UK of III as mentioned above, but there is a little bit too much high-end energy in a few places, and the midrange is also not as present as on the Classic in my experience. I agree with Leonthepro here.

Also, I want to add to my comments above that I have never felt that the high end/upper mids on the Classic was as over-the-top as many people point out. The bass and midrange really even out the sound of many songs on that record when you have been listening to the original UK Plum IMO. Trouble is, the recording/engineering of the songs and the types of songs they include on the record aren't uniform, so finding the best Side A and best Side B for your liking is probably the best solution...I remember someone saying that years ago on a predecessor to this thread.

16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Paul Simon is doing this comparison, it appears! :winkgrin:

17. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers...

I shared recently that I had an old bin of records left over from my collection that I had lost due to a flood some years ago... lost my entire collection. I save one bin and over the weekend I pulled out a LZ I AT-RG? Pretty rough shape, but the LZ II RL is good to go and sound awesome. Played it head to head with a version from 77 and not even close sound wise. The RL booms!!

Couldn’t save covers but at least I saved the vinyl. Had no clue those were sitting in my basement.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  18. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

LZ III is a tough one. I own the Classic Records reissue (200 gram), the Davis reissue, and whole slew of US pressings. The Classic and the Davis have their merits, but they also have their shortcomings. US pressings are all over the map......I have owned a truck load, and still own many. I used to pick them up dirt cheap at my favorite record store for 2 and 3 bucks back in the day when people were throwing away their vinyl. Out of 30 (give or take a few) US pressings I've found 2 I really like.....both had early stampers, one pressed at Presswell and the other at Monarch. They sound fresh with nice bass and detail, but even though both are clean they have that good ole Atlantic surface noise.

jgrillo likes this.
  19. Leonthepro

Yes this is usually what I think as well. If you bring out the high end but also the low end the record isnt necessarily bright, its balanced.

20. Leonthepro

Hehe, he does kind of look like him doesnt he.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Christophe Lethimonnier

30 US copies of Led Zeppelin lll listened...and only 2 excellent!? :yikes:I knew that some pressing was random but at this point! :shh:

22. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

I read somewhere on this thread that somebody said the Canadian red Zep 3 lacks top end. I gave it a full spin last night and would definitely dispute this. I would NOT want more top end on this Canadian pressing! As far as strange eq choices, I would dispute this too. It is very balanced, both to my ears and to the eq display on my receiver (which clearly makes visible other albums with the top end rolled off).
    The one criticism of Canadian red 3 that I would agree with is that the crash cymbals (but not the high hat) have quite a bit of sizzle. Even with that feature though, I find it immensely more enjoyable than the newest flacs (not high def, haven't heard that).

I have gotten a kick out of the Antarctica/Italian 2nd pressing jokes! I look at it this way though. If Canada can produce some of the best Zep pressings ever, Italy has twice as many people...so perhaps some Italians are as good at cutting records as they are at making delicious food! :p

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Too much.

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I wouldn’t want more top end on the Canada III either (see Classic LZ3). But you can tell from listening to various versions it must be there on the master tape in spades. So if you temper it too much it negatively affects other things - particularly in the middle which is where the real musical magic lies.

25. Christophe Lethimonnier

I do not know if Raunchnroll was referring to my second Italian Led Zeppelin ll pressing, evoking the Antarctica pressing ... possible? Personally, it is my favorite pressing with the RL for diametrically opposite reasons! However, if I had to choose one, it would be the brutal RL. It's really the only ultimate pressing. It's ........ The Beast !!! I would really like to hear the Led Zeppelin lll canadian pressing because I find it very ... intriguing!