Ultimate Led Zeppelin Vinyl Pressings!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

What can I say? I'm a man of specific taste.

2. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Yes quite. The difference between an original Master and a first or second generation copy must be inaudible. An engineer explained to me that the analog tape was ultra high resolution like 4K. So in absolute terms there is a degradation during an analog-to-analog transfer, but not enough to discern a really audible difference. the decisions of the engineer and the quality in the manufacturing process are also décisive.

3. Christophe Lethimonnier

A great French writer, Jules Renard said: "I do not know if I taste good, but I have very sure disgust"!;)

4. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Canadian red label I on a Philips 212. Perhaps I should make a video with an actual needledrop on my better table.

dee, Flusani, pmdclassics and 2 others like this.
  5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I just spun this. It's not my favorite, but I decided to just CRANK How Many More Times and it was awesome.

I will note, the woodblock or whatever in the intro to Good Times Bad Times is much more prominent on this Youtube clip than it was in my living room. I wonder why?

In other Led Zeppelin vinyl news, I found a real nice German TSRTS a few weeks ago. The store had it listed as a UK copy but I was able to dispel that notion and get them to give it up for a Jackson. It's weird because the sleeve appears to be from the US and it has the US catalog number, but the LP has a German number.

Led Zeppelin - The Soundtrack From The Film The Song Remains The Same

I don't have much to say about it now since I haven't had a chance to spin it more than once, but the noise is much less than my US SP and UK copies.

6. Christophe Lethimonnier

Cool ! How does this pressing sound? Led Zeppelin's canadian presses have a good reputation. I only have two Canadian LPs: a reissue of Sticky fingers and the first Clash album. The Canadian reissue sounds great (despite sometimes a little brightness). The guitars look like chainsaws on this pressing. Great ! Sounds completely different from my original A3 / B3 pressing ( the best IMHO). My Canadian pressing clash is fantastic. Sounds ornery My original UK sounds completely flabby! I am sure that your country has received a dub! At random, do you have a needledrop of the third album? TG in deadwax of course. I would like to hear one, just to get a first idea. If you want I also have needledrops.

7. Rockin' Robby

Sure buddy! Here is a sample of the famous red label III! Just for you. Makes you want to turn the volume way up every time.

pmdclassics and Old Rusty like this.
  8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Need to title it differently to avoid the blocks?

9. Rockin' Robby

Sure, please suggest a title!

10. Christophe Lethimonnier

[QUOTE = "Rockin 'Robby, poste: 18716168, membre: 69445"] Bien sûr, s'il vous plaît suggérer un titre! [/ QUOTE]

III TG ! Thank you my friend for this sample. :righton:

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Something that will not trigger copy write blocks.

12. Christophe Lethimonnier

The sample does not work! With another title as Slick Willie suggested? "Viva Canada" for example? Everyone will understand!

13. Rockin' Robby

Strange, works for me!

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Finally heard the Classic LZ I (from a fellow forum member). I have two different Piros cuts, and this is right up there. Very powerful with lots of top end sizzle.

15. Christophe Lethimonnier

What exactly is Piros pressings? I have a hybrid pressing GP MO DK SRC and it sounds beautiful. I think it came out in 1977. I wonder how the 1974 GP sounds (often considered the best) so my repressing is great !?

16. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

The Piros cut you're looking have will have C/C or CC/CC CCC/CCC etc matrices along with AT/GP on each side. It was done in early 73 right before the switch to the 75 Rock address.

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I can vouch for the early Piros for LZ I..............the best these ears have heard.

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Hey Clay,

I’ve got one that has

• Matrix / Runout (Side-One, all etched with the Monarch stamp): ST-A-681461CC - REPL - AT/GP (MR)
    • Matrix / Runout (Side-Two, all etched with the Monarch stamp): ST-A-681462CC - REPL - AT/GP (MR)

but...it’s a 75 Rock address. You think they used the same stampers you are talking about?

It matches the same matrices listed here

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Giorgio and Slick Willie like this.
  19. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

100%. That's what I have, and what I've only ever seen. I know the Broadway exists because I've talked to folks that confirmed it. It was made just before they transitioned to the new address, so it's exceedingly rare.

20. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Yep, confirmed. My copy has the b’way address but my comparisons with multiple 75 Rock copies revealed them to have the same great sound. It’s the C cut that has the magic - the label is just a label.

skisdlimit, Giorgio, marcb and 6 others like this.
  21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It does sound great. I just cranked it yesterday. Lotta mojo :thumbsup:

Dr. Funk and Matt Starr like this.
  22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Those early (74 reissue) Rockefeller at/gp pressings are the ****. My stack of RG stamped vinyl just doesn't have the same sound. I actually have a side one at/gp and side 2 RG stamped pressing..........there is a huge difference when turned over. George Piros knew what he was doing :cheers:

23. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I haven't heard a better copy of Led Zeppelin I than the Piros C cut. It slays my original RG and it's also better than my Canadian red label.

I've still only seen one ever, but it was minty and I bought it. I love it. Crucial lp.

24. Christophe Lethimonnier

I hope one day to have the opportunity to listen to a Piros circa 1974. Monarch or others ? What differences with the RG and the GP released in the late 70's or early 80's ?

25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The GP kills the first pressing RG of that is the one you are talking about. Not even close.

I have two AT/GP of LZ I. Neither is the CC cut but they are both excellent.