Ultimate Led Zeppelin Vinyl Pressings!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm also interested in how the German Wish You Were Here sounds.

2. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

After reading all 50 odd pages of this epic thread just won a bid on HOTH UK press listed as EX condition. Paid £30. Matrices listed as A3 Sterling RL B1 PECKO. Any thoughts?

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Mixed pressing...interesting.
    Should sound good as both masterings are well thought of.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Thanks for your input, nice to know. Although not actually seen the matrices, just going on the description in the ad, hope it’s accurate but can’t see why it wouldn’t be. BTW I’m not an owner of any multiple presses of any albums, in fact this will be the first HOTH I’ve ever heard on record! My LZ vinyl history - got 2014 remasters of I, III, Presence and ITTOD (happy with all, especially ITTOD) and UK original press of PG which plays mint and is sublime.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

IIIs 2014 reissue is the only one Ive heard that I think comes close to any other audiophile issue.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

Playing my Zep IV Porky US early press and it sounds great, except for the fact that the grooves are trashed, the previous owner must have had no anti skate because the noise on the left channel is quite bad.

Back to not having any Zep IV record thats playable, sigh...

7. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

So had first listen of HOTH RL/PECKO. Firstly it’s lovely and quiet playing. As I said nothing to really compare to other than CD but OMG it sounds truly beautiful! Zeppelin was made to be played on record for sure. The phrase “heard things I never knew were there” always grated on me, but couldn’t be more apt here e.g Rain Song bass in build up section. Wonderful.

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yes the RL HOTH is incredible. Agree with the "heard things I never heard before" statement on Rain Song compared to the crappy third pressing I had my whole life.

Your RL/Pecko (or am I thinking Piros) is well regarded (I have seen them in the used bins but don't own one) but the side 2 of the RL is worth seeking out. "No Quarter" on the RL cut is mesmerizing.

The only problem with the RL is finding a quiet copy. I think it took 5 copies before I found a relatively quiet one.

9. Leonthepro

Anyone compared RL HOTH with the Classic reissue? And no Willie, you dont count, hehe ;^)

Slick Willie likes this.
  10. Slick Willie

:whistle:

11. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Okay I’ve got the bug, just ordered a LZII plum label A2/B4 (with Killing Floor). Poster on this thread mentioned this sounds very compressed, but I also read you can’t really go wrong with any early LZ vinyl. Wasn’t overly expensive. Any thoughts?

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

Never heard it in any shape but people say its good. Id rather have an RL or MoFi though I think. Already got the Classic so...
    Im sure it will be a good listen for you though. Let us know.

13. Slick Willie

Spent some time with an A2/B2 UK plum, I preferred it to a Piros. I would think your press would be close to that?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

I just realized. At the start and end of Bring It On Home, are they immitating Sonny Boy Williams?
    Thats hilarious! ;^D

Just listened to the LZ II Classic for the first time. I can get how some may think its too bright on Living Loving Maid, because those cymbals get a bit annoying, but other than that it kicks ass. At least as good as the recording allows it to. Especially on the last 2 tracks I felt really immersed.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Any go to pressing for Presence? I was looking for a first UK pressing but is this the best one? I can get a Canadian pressing much cheaper but not sure if it lacks in comparison to the UK.

16. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

Yes- with a slight preference for my RL. My Classic isn't going anywhere, but the RL while not as quiet, just has that analogous sound. Hope everyone will let me
    slide on analogous (-:

Slick Willie and Leonthepro like this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes. HOTH is one of the lesser Classics. The RL is appreciably better on the bottom end.

Leonthepro likes this.
  18. Leonthepro

Will try one someday. I had a German before and I thought it was quite similar just the Classic being slightly better at nearly everything.
    RL seems to EQ a little lower than BG in general. Same story with Zep II. That might explain the better bottom end.

19. Slick Willie

There is a dedicated thread for Presence, but you'll want US mastering, ATLANTIC STUDIOS stamped on both sides. The UK and CDN only have one side at best.
    The US, JPN, and Netherlands offer 2 sided AS mastering...there may be others.

jazon and Rockin' Robby like this.
  20. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

This is true, but the Canadian is great. I really can't tell the difference between the two sides. As far as I know there are not any Canadians with "Atlantic Studios" on both sides, but seems strange they would just send one side to Canada? Why? Is it possible both sides were cut at Atlantic but one was not labeled so?

21. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Thanks. I found the thread so I know what to look for now.

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

For me, Presence is such a fun album. I've had a lot of good luck with US pressings...........It's such well recorded album, and the sonics really thrive on early US and Japanese vinyl.
    My favorite is an early US with Atlantic Studios stamped in the deadwax (just like Slick said ;)) Monarch pressed.
    You really can't go wrong with this album if you stick to US and Japanese. I even have some record club reissues (crc) and 80's (bar code) pressings that sound decent.
    Some will prefer the Japanese vinyl because of surface noise, and others like the Classic Records reissue or the 2015 Davis cut. But I prefer an early clean US.:cheers:
    Happy hunting.

Slick Willie, Rockin' Robby and jazon like this.
  23. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Is there such a thing as a bad pressing of Presence? It's the cleanest of the Zep albums, and might have the best rock drum sound ever captured.

Mine:
    --First(?) Japan issue, but no "WITH HELP FROM TOM" in the runout
    --Davis 2015, from the SDE

Echoes Myron and Leonthepro like this.
  24. Leonthepro

Its hard to make a bad press when a recording is done very well. Unless you compress all the dynamics and completely botch it.

25. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

First impressions of my new LZII plum A2/B4 are very good. Words that spring to mind - immediacy, realism and grunt! The reverb/overdrive guitar on 2nd half of What Is And What Should Never Be for example really great. Very happy (especially in mint condition for £20). One more to get LZIV which looks expensive for early copies.