Ultimate Motorhead on CD thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seventeen, Jan 9, 2016.

1. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

That's not saying much... I haven't heard a version I like of APD.

2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I think the VICP-2078 is the best for that one. But it's not head and shoulders better than the DE.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I only have Ace Of Spades (Castle Classics CLAD240) and it's great but sounds a bit like a jet engine trapped in a drainpipe.
    So which album on CD do you think presents the band with the fullest, richest sound?

sbardc likes this.
  4. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Great post. Was it ever confirmed the Legacy and Profile discs share the same mastering?

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Do you mean Legacy and Roadracer?

6. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I read somewhere Legacy and Profile share the same mastering. Perhaps all three (Roadracer included) are all the same mastering.

7. kevin5brown

Legacy = Profile /=/ Roadracer (and one Roadrunner)

8. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

Ace of spades. the only one i like. one kick ass album.

9. kevin5brown

Have you tried any others? I think Bomber and Overkill sound very similar to Ace. And while I like Bomber and Overkill a lot, my 2 faves by them are Ace and Another Perfect Day.

10. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Yeah Ace Of Spades CLACD is really tinny. It's probably the way the tapes sounds though. The Bronze orginal LP is similar.

Like many other hardrock/metal albums from that era, it desperatly needs to be balanced with some bass-frequency put in. Flat transfer (i presume) ala Castle is not the way to go.

11. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Slightly outside the full remit of this thread, but can reccomend the 5.1 DVD-A of Ace Of Spades!!! Bloody glorious.

12. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Do the early Castle pressings have pre-emphasis? I know their Sabbath pressings do, but those may have come out earlier.

13. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I got curious so i checked with EAC on my Ace Of Spades CLACD-240. No Pre, well not in TOC anyways. I don't have the version that detects subcode.

14. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Great. Thanks for checking!

15. Nightbreed

Nightbreed We're only immortal for a limited time.

Man, what a great thread...please don't let it die! I now have the 1991 Roadracers of Overkill, Bomber, and Ace of Spades. They are by far the best I've heard Motorhead sound on CD...very close to how I remember my brother's old vinyls sounding. Would really love to hear recommendations for No Sleep 'til Hammersmith, Iron Fist...and then all the rest! \m/

16. kevin5brown

I think that original Legacy/Profiles are even better for Overkill and Bomber. :righton:

Nightbreed likes this.
  17. Nightbreed

Funny you should mention those because I ordered them a couple days ago. I wasn't going to at first because I assumed they were the same mastering as the Roadracers, but I've since learned they are not. Can't wait to hear them, I bet they ROCK! \m/

18. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I managed to score a NM GWR/Profile PAD-1223 Orgasmatron off of eBay for $15. This is the "manufactured in Japan" version. I was lucky to get it so cheap because he misspelled Motorhead as "Motor heard" so it probably wasn't showing up in anyone's searches.

Sound on it is pretty nice. I had the vinyl long, long ago but that was on a really lousy system so I don't even have a reference to base this CD off of except the remaster, which it easily bests.

Nightbreed likes this.
  19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Ace of Spades is an all time classic album of course but I have to say it is one of THE WORST sounding vinyl in my collection of 1500-2000. Zero bass, no clarity, complete garbage recording. I am spinning a NM German original on the Bronze label. Shockingly poor. This is being removed right now.

Nightbreed likes this.
  20. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Yeah i'm guessing that's pretty much how the tapes sound. The Castle CLACD sounds somewhat the same and should be avoided at all cost.

However the Legacy/Roadracer discs does not. Best way to hear it.

Jam757 and Nightbreed like this.
  21. kevin5brown

The Legacy for Ace of Spades isn't the same as the Roadracer. ??

None of the CDs sound very good. I have the '96 1st, followed by the DE. But I do think that if you de-emphasize the Legacy/Profile (which are the same), that *that* is the best sounding CD there is.

Nightbreed likes this.
  22. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Sounds about the same to me but some seem to think otherwise. I haven't done any serious comparison so i leave it at that.

Nightbreed likes this.
  23. Nightbreed

That's correct, the Legacy and Roadracer for Ace of Spade are the exact same (except of course for the addition of the bonus track "Dirty Love" on the Roadracer). I thought they sounded the same, but to be sure, I ran both discs through EAC just now and they have the same peak levels. I'm guessing any difference in sound may be due to pressing difference, since it's clearly not due to the mastering. Sometimes people imagine differences that aren't there though...been guilty of that myself a couple times.

Legacy:

81.9 % / 100.0 % / 75.0 % / 78.5 % / 93.1 % / 86.2 % / 85.7 % / 84.9 % / 82.7 % / 76.2 % / 94.3 % / 94.6 %

Roadracer:

81.9 % / 100.0 % / 75.0 % / 78.5 % / 93.1 % / 86.2 % / 85.7 % / 84.9 % / 82.7 % / 76.2 % / 94.3 % / 94.6 % / 75.9 %

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  24. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Have you compared them to the Japanese CDs?

25. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

You mean the TEICHU? Interesting one. From my A/B comparison i did a while ago on AOS i remember it sounded a bit different from the Legacy.

I think it's from the same source as the CLACD. DR-values is the same. Not peak-levels though. So defenitly tweaked.

DR-values are slightly better on the Legacy which makes me suspect that the Legacy might be from the master-tapes. CLACD/Teichu could well be from cutting-tapes.

I mean the CLACD sounds almost identical to the Bronze LP.