Ultra HD Blu-Ray Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

I am a huge movie collector & have upgraded many of my titles from DVD to Blu-ray. However, I don't plan on upgrading to a 4K television anytime soon. I am quite happy with 1080p & Blu-ray currently. My question to all interested in commenting is:

Do you plan to upgrade from Blu-ray to Ultra HD Blu-ray players & movies once they become available? Or are you satisfied with the current standard?

All comments welcomed.

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Technology wall is about to fall hard in next coming years
    brace yourself.
    I got psychically sick looking at one 4k tvs at walmart.
    Everything looked like cheap cartoon way too go.:rolleyes:

mdm08033 likes this.
  3. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

As a bit of a film buff I started collecting movies on DVD about 12-13 years ago after I bought my old DVD player. Around six years ago, after two Sony CRT TV sets bit the dust within a few months of each other, I moved up to a 50" plasma and started picking up movies on blu-ray. Fortunately, at that point I didn't have a huge collection of DVDs so I slowly began to replace my DVD with the BR versions and have gone full out with BR since. At this point in time I have little to no interest in switching to "the next" format, and have no expectation of ever replacing my BR discs.

kanakaris and mdm08033 like this.
  4. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

It appears that the studios are NOT exploiting all of the potential picture quality that Blu-ray has to offer. Why would I replace my gorgeous $800 60" plasma with an over priced and under performing Ultra HD LCD, a new transport, and $50 discs. Call me when the hole chain is improved and standardized.

Hutch, bru87tr and Quark1134 like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Sticking with what I have. I really don't care anymore. How much more detail do I need to see?

6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

The one good thing that might come out of this is cheaper BD prices.

I can see 90% of the stuff coming out on this format just being the latest Hollywood blockbuster schlock-fests (Transformers 7, that sort of thing). I don't see a ton of classics being re-done for this or more obscure stuff, which is what I tend to collect.

7. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

I figure the first couple of years of titles on 4K or Ultra HD Blu-ray will be filled with transfers that are overly tweaked and artificially sharpened to dupe unsuspecting consumers into seeing a big difference. Some will love these new artificially sharp transfers, some will decry that this isn't how these films are supposed to look, and then a few years later they'll start re-doing the titles they ****ed up the first time around. That is, if the format survives long enough.

So, yeah, I'll sit it out for awhile and see what happens. I'm perfectly happy with my 1080p Samsung F8500 plasma TV and Blu-ray.

Shak Cohen and mikeyt like this.
  8. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I'm going to stick with what I currently have. If the new format takes off, then, and only then, will I consider the upgrade. Even so, I'm not likely to have a large enough room for a screen large enough to make the increased resolution obvious, for the foreseeable future.

9. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'm totally envious of your Samsung.

10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

For now I plan on sticking with bluray / 1080p. I have a 55", 46" and 40" and bluray looks great on all especially the older b&w films I tend to watch on weekends.

I feel an average joe can easily spot the difference between standard def / most DVDs vs bluray. But that average joe cannot see the improvement between 1080 and 4k. And since newer DVDs authored well also can look great upscaled to 1080, most folks just won't see the benefit. And without 4k broadcast well it's just a high end gimmick

11. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Well said! Me, I'm staying with my 50 inch plasma and Oppo BD player.

12. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Blu-ray is a enough for the home imho. Unless you have a huge screen (70"?) my guess is that it will be hard to tell the difference.

Hutch likes this.
  13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Given my vision is not that great even with glasses, I'm probably maxed out with resolution with blu rays, so I've no need to go 4k. I've got a lot of blu rays and DVD's. If any of those DVD's finally get released to 4k then it might make sense. But I'm NOT going to replace blu rays.

14. mep

mep Forum Resident

If the average viewer has your equipment (size wise), he actually will see a huge difference. At least I did:

From my christmas extra money I currently bought a Sony 4k 55" kd55x9005a TV and I have to say that already the mastered in 4k Sony BDs are really looking amazing. I watched Ghostbusters, because it´s one of my all time favorites, so I watched it dozent of times before and therefor I know quite well the different looks of that film on home video devices throughout the years (from video to DVD to BD to ´Mastered in 4K´ BD). Really amazing! Even if it´s still not a real native 4K release. Also the 3D feature is much better as from me expected - and I think better as most of the cinema experiences I had throughout the last years. I read that with the 4K standard it´s the first time you can see 3D movies at home in Full HD and that even mostly the DCPs are just screened in 2K.

From my point of view it´s quite appealing to see 4K Masters the way they are ment to be and not just compressed to 1080. I think, 4K could look really great, if they try to get as close as they can to the original film look. But of course, it also can look frustrating if they´ll go for an all digital look...

But if the price will not be too high, I´m in for the update...

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

You're fooling yourself, to be frank. "Mastered in 4K" is just a marketing gimmick. You're still seeing regular old 1080p, upscaled to 4K on your display.

16. mep

mep Forum Resident

No, I´m not. I just thought the exact same way you do - before I saw it for the first time on my own screen. I read different articels about the upscaling process and the tenor is that with the right sony player AND the right sony 4K screen AND the right sony mastered in 4K BD it´s possible to use more accurate logarithms than during a ´normal´ upscaling process. It´s just amazing how the disc now looks. I saw it just before I purchased the sony on my former LG 34 LCD and it looked nothing like that. The colors, the sharpness, the details. Just totally amazing. I don´t think right now, that a native 4K Disc can look any better than this...

I also watched a couple of native 4K Trailers of current movies via YouTube; but sadly they look way to digital for me...

17. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

If I had unlimited funds I'd get into it but that ain't the case. The 70" Sharp I got a deal on is good enough.

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

It's obviously complete subjective as to whether anyone is fooling themselves. But it is true that what you're watching is still 1080p upscaled to 4K. Just as the right rig will make upscaled DVDs look better than just any old DVD player and display, I'm sure the same is true when upscaling BD to 4K.

The "Mastered in 4K" is surely a marketing gimmick. It doesn't mean they don't look better. But they are simply BD versions of the old "Superbit" DVDs. To the degree they look better than a "standard" counterpart BD, it's due mostly to increased space on the disc due to lack of bonus features, and/or because the "Mastered in 4K" title was a new transfer compared to the old BD. I've read a number of reviews of "Mastered in 4K" titles, and the improvement between an older BD version and the "Mastered in 4K" title doesn't seem to be any better than the improvement we often see anytime a new transfer is done for a film for BD release.

As the resolution continues to increase on these video formats, the more you need increasingly expensive equipment to wring increasingly smaller incremental jumps in quality. By far the biggest jump in video quality I've ever seen was between 480 "SD" and just 720p HD. Nothing else has shown to me nearly as marked an improvement. Perhaps VHS to DVD in many ways. But "LD to DVD" wasn't as noticeable. Even 720p to 1080p wasn't as noticeable.

Shak Cohen, Vidiot and aarsonbet like this.
  19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I love movies as well, and I've no intention of getting a new TV until the one I have breaks. To my mind DVD was a big step up from VHS, and Blu-ray a decent improvement on DVD in many cases, when the material merits the work and the time has been taken to do it right, but beyond Blu-ray, I suspect the benefits are vanishingly small, unless the screen is the size of movie-theater screen.

20. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I'll sit this out for a year or two and let the early adopter guinea pigs bite the bullet and pay high prices. Let them deal with any format introduction/encoding issues that may arise just as was the case with Blu-Ray and DVD. Then I'll come aboard when the issues are ironed out and pay a fraction of the price.

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No upgrade here. 1080p, on a rectangular screen, with 5.1 surround sound, is much more than I'd have ever dreamed of, while watching edited, commercially interrupted films, on a B&W only, square screen television.
    Likely my last setup in this life.

22. My current main viewing screen is a 56-inch Samsung DLP rear projector model that's over 8 years old and doesn't even do 3D video, of which I have an extensive library to watch. My bedroom screen is a 50-inch Panasonic 3D plasma, but for my main viewing room, I need to upgrade to a 3D-capable screen anyway, so I'm going whole-hog with 4k/Ultra-HD at the end of this year...I also plan to increase the screen size to at least 65 inches, since my room can handle it as a flat-screen...

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

People keep focusing on the new standard as only being about a higher pixel count. That's probably the least noticeably beneficial aspect of it. The far higher contributers to a visibly better picture are HDR, 10-bit displays and processing, increased color gamuts (near DCI). With these features properly encoded (video) and decoded (TV), even a 1080p res. picture will look significantly better then the current bluray spec.

mdm08033, guidedbyvoices and tmtomh like this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I wish they would make broadcast TV 1080p instead of skipping to ultra hd.

erniebert, BeatleJWOL and audiomixer like this.
  25. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I will hold out until my Panasonic Plasma craps out and then see where the industry is at. A few years ago they were telling me everyone would be watching in 3-D by now. I rarely buy Blu-rays now anyway with Amazon and Netflix available. I can't imagine how much bandwidth 4K would use, so it may never happen for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.