Ultra HD Blu-Ray Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i love new technology as long as it has a noticeable improvement to it. but i will wait until it becomes affordable to me. i'm a "late adopter" :). hopefully 4k projectors will fall into that "affordable" range by the time i'm ready to get a new one.

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I already have one UHD TV, a 40" one in my bedroom. I'll not be replacing my 60" plasma any time soon. Well, if it blows up or gets stuck pixels, it'll be replaced with a UHD set. I'm not hot to adopt a UHD disc format. BD's look amazing on my little UHD set. The disc format is gonna be harder to sell me on.

3. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

My TV is 6 years old and I am about to get a new one. Might as well get a 4K. I wouldn't do it just for the 4K, but if I am getting a new TV anyway, I'll get the 4K.

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I might consider getting a 4K TV to replace my current set eventually if over-the-air broadcasters were planning on upgrading to 4K. Has there been any talk of this at all in the US? Because I haven't heard any.

I'd rather not have to upscale all my TV viewing and blu-rays just so I can watch a few select 4K disc titles in their native resolution.

5. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I'm interested in 4k but the lack of content is holding me back. So when 4k Blu-ray becomes available and Redbox or Netflix offers 4k discs, I'll start to think seriously about buying.

GlamorProfession likes this.
  6. Standards for 4k/Ultra-HD blu-ray will be set by June and players and discs will be available by this Christmas...all the major Hollywood studios have opted into the format...

Deesky likes this.
  7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

When hell freezes over. It took them years kicking & screaming to get what we get from the broadcasters now.

Hutch, Vidiot and lukejosephchung like this.
  8. Agreed...streaming, downloads and physical media will be the primary means of accessing 4k/Ultra-HD content...the broadcast networks were dragged kicking and screaming into the digital HD age 15 years ago and won't accommodate another re-allocation of bandwidth for it...

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Why does it matter when there's nothing of quality to watch in the first place ?

erniebert likes this.
  10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

There's plenty of quality programming. Search it out.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm telling everybody to wait until the standards settle down. There's a lot of noise and confusion on this whole UHD faux-4K deal, and it's still a little bit of a house of cards (and not the Kevin Spacey variety). I also think the quality will get better and the prices will be more competitive in another year.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No thanks, gave up all TV a year ago. Only returned for Justified's final season, this month, when that ends I'm out completely again. Too many commercials, too much yakking for me. Only watch DVDs, and Blu rays. Plus, as I've said before, Comcast is all zoomed in, making any aspect ratio a memory of the past, SD looks like crap also, and I'm not paying extra for their version of HD. Justified looks so bad, you can't believe it's the same TV you just saw a Blu ray look gorgeous on !!!! Comcast blows.

Hutch, showtaper and lukejosephchung like this.
  13. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

I've honestly never watched a well-produced Blu-ray and said to myself I wish this were better. I'm not opposed to 4k in principle but I think it will be 5-10 years before there are affordable 4k displays that best my professionally calibrated Pioneer Kuros, which is pretty lame considering they're from 2008-2009 (Pioneer's last model year). I'm very happy with what I have for now and for as long as it works.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ah, that's different, and I agree with you about TV as a broadcast medium - it sucks for sure and I can't stand to with it 'live' either. TV content/programs however are a different kettle of fish, and as has been said, there is some quality out there.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Sure, but if you could do a side by side comparison of a standard bluray picture compared with a 4k picture with proper HDR and wide gamut, I can guarantee you that you will notice the difference. But bluray on a std 1080p set with nothing to compare it with will still look pretty darn good.

Well, cheap 4ks won't take that long to hit the market. TCL just announced a new 50-inch Ultra HD LED television for $1000. The price war is on and it won't take long for the mainstream players to start to drive prices to the bottom.

As for besting your Kuro, realistically the only tech than can easily do that is OLED, but so far only LG is producing panels in quantity (whose prices are also plunging). However OLED is still underdeveloped, at least under LG's implementation, so it may be a while longer before all the bugs are ironed out of that tech. However, I'd predict that it won't take as long as five years to do so, especially if say Samsung or Sony start producing their own panels.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One solution: DirecTV. I'm a big fan, and it's worth the money. Far better than most cable systems, and far more channel choice and greater bandwidth.

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

It's ironic but anymore when I see a thread like this one, I immediately jump to your posts, as I know that I can trust your opinion. We should be so lucky to have an "insider" who knows all of the details, rather than doing what 90% of the rest of America does, by trusting the "know it all" kid salesman at Best Buy.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's not that hard to keep up if you're interested in the field.

19. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I'm sorely tempted myself. Comcast just keeps getting more and more costly. How do you handle internet? Around here Comcast is the best in terms of speed and reliability, and I could just keep their internet and go to DirectTV for the rest..

20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I'm a big fan of directv too. I've had Comcast (awful awful customer service issues) and uverse (liked them but when service went down, we'd be without tv and Internet for 2 to 7 days). Directv has had the best picture quality of the 3, and while I get annoyed when their intro price deals expired, you just call when they're up and ask what new discounts they have for existing customers and they figure out enough to keep my monthly price right.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Need better eyeballs

scobb likes this.
  22. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

That's my dilemma too. I don't know if Direc has equipment I'd embrace at this point though. Back in the MPEG2 days, I had the DirecTivo that let me integrate my antenna and Direc service. A,T & T internet service is even worse than their paltry average in my neighborhood which is on a dead end of their system. I wish I had a better option for internet. I'd love to be Crumcast-free. My Triple Play bill has nearly doubled the past 3 years. Their bill is higher than my bloody utility bill now in months I don't have to heat or cool extensively. That speaks volumes about my high-fat, super-sized service! :(

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm just stumbling around in the dark like everybody else. If you want to see a real crock being marketed today, check out the new Dolby Atmos home surround systems stores are pushing. Their concept is that you keep your existing 5.1-channel system, then put little toy speakers on top of them to "beam" the overhead sounds up and bounce them off the ceiling! This is wrong on so many levels, I don't know what to say.

I think they're doing this because a) they've run out of ways to push regular Dolby 5.1 surround, b) sales have hit the wall, and c) their market research shows that nobody's willing to spend another X thousand dollars to nail more speakers on their ceilings. So this is the compromise they've come up with. I have no problem with real Dolby Atmos or Barco Auro 11.1-channel surround, but doing it with toy speakers is not the way to go. I'd much rather have a great 5.1 system than an augmented 11.1 system.

4K, on the other hand, can look really great assuming it comes from a good source and the set is properly calibrated. The problem I see is that there's still a great flux in terms of standards, particularly with the copy-protection systems (HDCP 2.2):

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/te...-is-probably-wrong-thanks-to-hdcp-2-2-1256763

When everything has HDMI 2.0 connectors, and all 4K content is compatible with all 4K sets, we'll be OK. (I'm using the term "4K" interchangeably with UHD, so my apologies to the sticklers who point out that the two are not quite the same.)

LivingForever and Chris C like this.
  24. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

DirecTv and Comcast (internet: 126 up, 12 down) here. I tried Comcast for both cable and internet, but I felt the TV picture was compromised by sharing the internet bandwidth. My Comcast subscription actually includes both cable and internet. I pay $78 for Comcast and $114 for DirecTv.
    DirecTv has a great picture but they dedicate a tremendous amount of bandwidth to the PPV channels. As far as I know those are the only channels actually broadcasting in 1080p.
    No desire to upgrade to the next resolution/format here simply to re-buy titles...

25. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

You're much more optimistic than I am. I think companies (first Pioneer, now all companies) stopping plasma production is like companies stopping tube amp production, not because the successor is/was better but because the market changed. I'm not saying OLED done right wouldn't be better, I'm saying I have doubts OLED will ever happen the way it should. My understanding was that only LG showed OLED dsplays at this year's CES and that Sony/Panasonic and Samsung were backing away. Maybe it's a short-term tactical retreat. Or maybe they don't see consumer viability. For years the focus has seemed to be on gimmicks such as 3-D and curved screens and interconnectivity over picture quality. Pioneer made the decision 6 years ago that the consumer market could not support its high-end product. I think it was right and that things have only gotten worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.