Ultra-rare Stones' High Tide and Green Grass with withdrawn cover: is this real?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rubberhead, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record Thread Starter

Do any of you fine folk know of this supposedly rare deleted cover for the Big Hits: High Tide and Green Grass comp from '66? The color of the river is much darker and the band name and album title are on two lines in lowercase, italic type. It must be a real thing since this copy sold last month for $2669; there is currently a cover only on ebay for $6K, and popsike and discogs indicate a few other sales of this record over the past decade in the 4K-6K range.

Does anyone know the story behind the cover? Why was it withdrawn? The ebay listing claims that only seven are known to exist — can that possibly be true? How did however many copies there are get out?

ROLLING STONES US BIG HITS High Tide... ALT ALTERNATE WITHDRAWN COVER MATTE NP-1 »

I ask because I have one and find it impossible to believe I own something so rare.

2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i'm no expert but i am a graphic designer and the answer to the question "why was it withdrawn?" seems pretty obvious!

but congrats on owning one and i hope it's in better condition than the one in the ebay link.

3. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I have actually seen a beat up one in a vinyl dump bin before, so maybe they aren't so rare. I didn't buy that one because it was overpriced, but indeed the cover variation is a curiosity.

4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

It's real. Somebody has to end up with one, so might as well be the OP. Sell High!

dennis the menace likes this.
  5. rubberhead

Ya, my guess is that the river is too dark and the text impossible to read. But I can't find any substantive info about it online, which is odd in this day and age. So if anyone knows any more details, please let me know, and thanks!

Mine is in better condition than the one in the ebay listing.

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

It's not a river. It's Franklin Lake in L.A.'s Franklin Canyon Park. It's the same place the opening credits for the Andy Griffith Show were filmed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sean, supermd, Zensound and 12 others like this.
  7. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I've seen this before and AFAIK it's legit.

8. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

Interesting tidbit - did not know that. Thanks!

somnar and OldSoul like this.
  9. Actually it's the Hollywood Reservoir. Franklin Canyon is miles away

ruben lopez, parman and Fullbug like this.
  10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

11. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

For something ultra rare, it's interesting that another one is already up for sale on ebay.

12. old school

old school Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The UK cover is much nicer and laminated. $ 6,ooo for a different color US cover? What did P. T. Barnum say?

Sean, parman, keef00 and 3 others like this.
  13. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

@John Fell : You're the first person I turn to about all things Stones. You got any story on this one? Bill doesn't talk about it in his book Rolling With The Stones.

As far as this original cover's concerned, it's really creepy compared to what came out.

The released cover, however, is one of my favorite Stones' covers of all time.

[​IMG]

parman likes this.
  14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I agree.

15. rubberhead

Thanks for all the info. It's very strange to me, and I am naturally skeptical of that ebay seller's story that only six (seven counting his) copies are known to exist. I don't see where his info has come from as there is very little about it online aside from the few recorded sales on popsike, discogs and ebay. I hope some RS experts contribute with more details!

16. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Esp when it's cover only "no media"!

17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That's a bit like saying "Take it up with Alfred E. Neuman."

And here's an example of the incestious nature of information on the internet:

The Rolling Stones - Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass) »

Either the ebay listing used the photos from discogs or discogs used the ebay photos. Either way, we end up with two sources claiming the existence of six or seven known copies with no real proof offered from either source.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  18. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

thanks for the andy trivia

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great how the camera man places Brian Jones as the central focus in the pics.Even the red typeface matches his hipster pants.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Fullbug likes this.
  20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I like that alternative cover - it's very dated looking but I kinda like the typography.

Never noticed that the UK cover shows Brian's bandaged hand. It's a cool layout but the Stones all look incredibly ugly in that photo, like they's spent the previous 9 hours drinking and the sun just came up.

Fullbug likes this.
  21. I take it back please forgive

22. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Throw in some pot and you are probably dead on with that assessment.

parman and dkmonroe like this.
  23. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I believe I had that version of album on vinyl years ago. Sold it for $120 2 years ago.
    The $2000 odd price I saw on eBay brought a few tears of rage!

I also crazily sold original pressings of Jimi Hendrix for under $50 each a few years ago as well.

24. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

a photo of that cover in James Karnbach book (ultimate guide...) p 275...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.