ultraviolet downloads included in DVD/Blu Rays

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guidedbyvoices, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

Man I've spent a frustrating amount of time downloading The Lego Movie "digital version" included with the DVD package. Admittedly we're an apple family with Apple devices, a mac, apple TV etc. But I don't want another whole app to use to watch some movies, then back to iTunes to watch the rest of my digital library. Frustrating as hell.

Does anyone like the Flickster / Ultraviolet set up? Are there hidden benefits I'm missing?
    Because of how easy Apple TV is, I think if I want to buy a kids movie and the included download is ultraviolet, I'll just avoid the physical media and buy it digitally via iTunes.

Disney has an awkward app too but at least you can actually get to download the film into iTunes and your iTunes library and avoid their app, and on top of that? it's the HD version, and not the cheaper SD version like I got from ultraviolet.

GRRRRR

While i'm at it, the SD iTunes versions of films included as a download - wish there was a way to pay for the upgrade to HD, without rebuying the thing at full price. $5 each would be worth the upgrade.

2. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

Same frustration here. Apple family all around. We had a couple UV codes. I eventually gave up. Sorry for the lack of answer.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

anyone know which player is the best for PC? I've never DL any.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I use Flixster/VUDU, Amazon, and iTunes for movie downloads. depending on what I can get. If there is an iTunes option for an animated movie that's the one I choose so that the kids can get it on the iPod. Sometimes you get a choice of two, which is really cool. Given the choice, I always would pick VUDU as their HDX streams look the best by far to me. I believe that Flixster/VUDU is the only option which is Ultraviolet. My opinions on the three options:

iTunes: Good quality but doesn't have an option on the Roku, so it's only good for watching movies on ipod, iPad or PC.

Amazon: Available on the Roku but even at HD not the best quality.

VUDU: Available on Roku and has superior picture quality. HDX streams on VUDU seem almost as good as a Blu-ray disc to me.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Make your own mobile/iTunes versions of Blu-rays that you bought with a PC or Mac + Blu-ray drive and some freeware. Looks wonderful and you won't be frustrated by that Ultraviolet nonsense.

mj_patrick likes this.
  6. I understand that Apple families will get frustrated but most of Hollywood is getting behind UltraViolet as a hedge on Apple's power. Studios are offering less and less iTunes copies with their Blu-rays. Paramount and Fox only include iTunes now on their biggest releases, they've gone UV-only for most of their releases.

7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

Yep, thats definitely what Ive noticed, and its a bummer. but for kids movies, its driving me away from physical media towards iTunes HD copies. My personal stuff, classic films, criterion, I'll always want blu ray and digital doesn't matter. its truly just for kids stuff like pixar flicks, etc.

8. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

If it's "just for the kids", as someone else mentioned above ... why not just rip and convert your physical media to digital files. I personally use Handbrake if I want to take a DVD I've bought and put it on an iPad for travelling. Works great. Drag the resulting ripped file into iTunes and synch the device. Handbrake has presets to make it easy too. NB. Just FYI, blu-ray not supported though. There are other solutions for that.

SamS likes this.
  9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

You can play Utraviolet titles with other apps than just Flixster. Vudu has an app for iOS that works well. You will have to use a PC or Mac to create a Vudu account and then link it to your Ultraviolet account, though.

dkmonroe likes this.
  10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Ultraviolet is a steaming turd.

I tried using it one time and it was such a clunky, long process that I gave up and don't even bother with any UV downloads included with movies I buy.

BGLeduc and greelywinger like this.
  11. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I'm alright with Vudu. Can play the digital copies of movies I buy on my phone, Roku, xbox, etc.

12. dkmonroe

I don't get that. I registered for Flixster, registered for Vudu, and linked the accounts. Couldn't have been simpler.

13. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

That's how I'm rolling. You keep in control of the quality and have the freedom to use them wherever you like.

[​IMG]

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Really, you think having to register multiple accounts with various parties is a simple or elegant process??

On top of that, I think I had to install some sort of special downloader software.

15. dkmonroe

I wouldn't call it "elegant", but I didn't have any problem doing it. I also got a bunch of free titles from VUDU and was able to buy all three Godfather films for $5 a piece in HDX. That didn't suck.

16. hogger_reborn

hogger_reborn Active Member

Google around, there are ways you can make your own digital versions with some free programs. iTunes HD movies do actually look pretty good considering the size they compress them to, it's a shame they are copy protected though so you can only watch it on authorized devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.