UMe prepping Blu-ray Audio titles for Europe (pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gilbertasm

gilbertasm Forum Resident

Thank you for information, this is great news. And, by the way, this Blu Ray is a great deal financially, you get Empyrian Isles with bonus tracks and Maiden Voyage for around $30, while if you download from hdtracks, only Empyrian Isles (without any bonus tracks!) costs $24.98

Plus with blu-ray you actually get a physical disc, so you can rip audio and have a disc as backup.

2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Regarding the Rolling Stones' Exile On Main St. Blu-ray, I could have sworn that I saw screenshots other photos on one of these threads confirming 24/192kHz audio tracks. I finally purchased a copy yesterday locally-- it blew my mind that a store was actually stocking a Blu-ray Audio title-- but I was somewhat disappointed to learn that my copy was 24/96 only. It still sounds great to me, but I can't help feeling like I got gypped. Am I misremembering forum posts from a few years back, or are there two distinct versions of the Exile Blu-ray floating around? For the record, the outer jacket makes no mention of the audio resolution, so I was unable to verify before purchasing.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  3. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Mine is 24/96.

4. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Hmm, misremembering then. Funny how the mind works...

5. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

6. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

WHAT THE HELL?!?
    Mine looks exactly the same, except it lists 24-bit/96kHz for all three audio options! :realmad:

7. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Is it me but are some of the blu-ray titles already getting out of print? The prices are rising fast - The Rolling Stones Grrr! for example.

edit: yes, that was a limited pressing.

RiRiIII likes this.
  8. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Proof:

[​IMG]

9. fredblue

Oh crikey.. :yikes: that I cannot explain.. :shrug:

I got my copy from the store FNAC as soon as it was released in France in 2013.. maybe there was a later repressing that is @96/24 and that is what you just picked up or it is 'only' 96/24 in other territories?

bferr1 likes this.
  10. fredblue

This thread includes a pic I took of the French HFPA release (which I also posted here @SHF around same time)..

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...Street-Blu-Ray&p=195996&viewfull=1#post195996

Edit: As you can see the (Blue/Black/White) sticker with disc info says @96/24 but all the French HFPA's say that no matter what is on the disc itself, they only differentiate when there is 5.1 included in my experience.

bferr1 likes this.
  11. The market for Blu-ray Audios isn't particularly big and pressing Blu-rays aren't nearly free on a marginal unit basis like CDs and DVDs. I would guess the labels are pressing up 1000-2000 copies per album and that's it, unless demand blows them out of the water.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

My Exile on Main Street disc is like bferr1's, meaning that the tracks are 24/96. The home screen shows 24/96, and my player shows 24/96 when playing the disc.

fredblue, to be clear, does your disc play in 24/192? If so, I wonder if there is a way via the packaging to differentiate between the two versions. For my copy, the disc and inserts show a phonogram date of 2012 and a copyright date of 2013. The catalog number is 0600753450277.

13. fredblue

As few as 1,000 - 2,000..? :yikes:

14. fredblue

Pretty sure it's 192k, give me a minute and I'll double check (it's been a while since I last played it)

15. fredblue

Ok.. It gets more interesting!

[​IMG]

16. fredblue

The PCM is @96/24..

[​IMG]

17. fredblue

The DTS HD MA is @192/24..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plan9 likes this.
  18. fredblue

..and the Dolby True HD
    is also @192/24
    (with +4 dB Dialogue Normalization)..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

fredblue, is there a way to verify whether your DTS and Dolby tracks are true 24/192 and not upsampled? It seems odd that they would be native 192 since the PCM track they had on hand, which most likely would have been used as their source, is 24/96.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  20. fredblue

In theory yes, as I have an external BD burner for my Mac but I'm in the middle of moving house so I wouldn't be able to do it until the end of September.

iirc there was an issue with BD and 192/24 PCM Stereo where it was removed from the spec due to some legacy connection incompatibilities, whereas core DTS and lossy Dolby would still playback no matter what (which might explain what the dickens is going on here) but I'd need to double check as it's been a while since I looked into all of this stuff.

Did you have a chance to check your copy of the Exile BD-A, to see if the DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD streams are similarly 192/24 and the PCM @96/24?

21. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I did check them out; all three tracks are 24/96, according to my Oppo BD player.

I believe DTS and Dolby have 24/96 cores, so it makes it easy for those tracks to be backwards-compatible with older equipment. That might explain why a 24/192 PCM was excluded.

So, two scenarios:
    1. They had two PCM tracks, in both 24/96 and 24/192 resolutions. The 24/192 was encoded into Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA; the 24/96 PCM was used on the disc for legacy playback.

2. They only had the 24/96 PCM on hand and either intentionally upsampled to 24/192 for the DTS and Dolby encodings, or did so accidentally.

My money is on scenario #1. But why change later pressings of the disc to a consistent 24/96 for all thee audio options?

c-eling likes this.
  22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Hang on-- I just remembered that my Blu-rays of The Extraordinary Nat King Cole and Coltrane's Blue Train both include 24/192 PCM tracks. So, the exclusion of the 24/192 PCM on fredblue's Exile disc really makes no sense whatsoever.

23. fredblue

Well, I'm fresh out of ideas then.. its a mystery.

24. mep

mep Forum Resident

I bought mine via amazon.de last year and all three audio options are 24/96...

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

My guess:
    The source is in 96/24. Someone thought upsampling it to 192 would it make it look good (max resolution!) in DTS-HD and Dolby, but forgot to upsample the PCM as well... on the first pressing.

Someone higher up noticed and they re-authored the Blu-Ray and reverted to 96/24 for the second pressing.

fredblue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.