UMe prepping Blu-ray Audio titles for Europe*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dobyblue, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident Thread Starter

A few placemarkers are up on HMV Japan including:

Bob Marley - Legend (May 13)
    http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Bob-Marley-The-Wailers_000000000038077/item_Legend_5389179

Derek & TheDominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Song (May 13)
    http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Dere...6/item_Layla-Other-Assorted-Love-Song_5389181

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life (May 13)
    http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Stevie-Wonder_000000000005609/item_Songs-In-The-Key-Of-Life_5389182

Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico (April 15)
    http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Velv...00004534/item_Velvet-Underground-Nico_5389184

PhantomStranger likes this.
  2. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

It would be sublime to hear Stevie in HI rez LPCM 5.1 at 10Mbps.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Hmm. I want!

4. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

I'll guess this will be stereo only though ...

5. I would guess this is confirmation that Universal Japan is moving away from SHM-SACD.:( Though I am happy to see these albums released in Hi-Rez of some form.

6. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

This could be very good news - IF care is taken in the mastering process. I have listened to a few SHM CDs, and all have been brick-walled. These releases deserve to be the definitive archival versions - they will be listened to on home audio systems. They won't be listened to on ipods, car audio systems etc. If need be, I am certain there would be sufficient space on the disc for multiple versions - Full Dynamic Range and Mastered To The Max.

As I write this, I realize that I am preaching to the choir, but it also made me realize if I talk the talk, I need to walk the walk. Next stop HDTracks. Carry on!

7. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Not really if they use Mrs.F remaster which was done for JSACD

8. I have no idea which SHM-SACDs you are referring to, some of them have been the definitive masterings for their respective albums.

9. ricks

ricks Senior Member

So ...

So the horribly recorded Velvet Underground & Nico which has almost nothing above 14Khz and the badly recorded Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs .... Both of those not better suited for hi-res when even Redbook exploited their vast recording short comings.. Not to mention unless this have changed drastically Wonder has the Master Tapes and does not allow them to be used. Is this a case of setting up for failure??

10. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident Thread Starter

^^^^

And Legend, how was that originally put together anyway, did they take all the master tracks to master that album, does an analogue master exist? I seem to recall someone analysing the HD Tracks files and coming up with which ones were actually 24/96 and which were not.

UMG should take the Tuff Gong/Island releases and release those individually remastered from the original tapes. I'd be all over that assuming that they won't get slammed in the mastering stage.

11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The guys who "select" titles aren't exactly la creme de la creme in terms of originality ...

Grant, vonwegen and One Louder like this.
  12. firefoxussr

firefoxussr Dynamic Range Enthusiastâ„¢

I'd like to see some blu-ray audio titles that haven't been issued many times as SACD/DVD-A/& Vinyl. Countless 90s/00s bands have nothing available in high-res, vinyl or otherwise not-usually-horridly-mastered formats.

13. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Aren't these UK or US releases?

There was a promo-movie not so long ago about upcoming blu-ray audio titles (with the release of Rolling Stones "Grrr" and Led Zep "Celebration Day"). They mentioned Stevie Wonder in that video and a few other 'safe' artists.

Many high-res. fans have these titles already from HDTracks, shm-sacd,....

Why do they keep re-releasing the same stuff over and over again :(

OK if it was an improved master, but I guess the labels are too lazy for that.

Mike McMann likes this.
  14. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

jojopuppyfish, hodgo and rxcory like this.
  15. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

I'm excited that someone is looking at Blu-ray audio titles for release, but not sure if these are the ones to attract attention.
    I would have been interested in Layla but have the MFSL as well as the SHM-SACD.
    Stranger things have happened though.

16. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

The one from HDTracks is also pretty good (in same league as Barry Diament-mastering). Just stay away from the Ted Jensen-compilation ;)

fantgolf and robertawillisjr like this.
  17. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

It is a house rule, as soon as anyone here mentions SHM-SACD, someone confuses them with SHM-CDs. Happens every time :)

Groggy likes this.
  18. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

how many times can they release Layla or Who's next? cd,gold cds,mini lp(s) cds,Shmcd, Sacd,shm Sacd ,LP size cd now Blue Ray

robertawillisjr and ponkine like this.
  19. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Please god, no! Not another Layla release! Not another format!

How much?:)

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Uni is just trying too SELL Blu-Audio w/these titles.
    Poor sonic or pathetic do-I-really-need-too-buy-this-again choices.

The GRRR! BD currently has an Amazon UK Bestsellers Rank of 3,477 in Film & TV.
    Currently "Flywheel [Director's Cut/2003]" DVD is UK Amazon's Bestsellers Rank of 3,476 in Film & TV so I don't think that's saying much at all for BD music-only sales.

However, just like early Blu-Movie releases (as well as DVD, VHS, etc... ) it's about $$$ 1st! Not the best films nor the best transfers of films.
    Just hope these titles hit & I'm around long enough too buy some KILLER Blu-Music titles.
    (guess who's #1 on the list)

Now Playing:

check out the cut "Water on Mars" if you can!

21. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

22. In my haste skimming the forum, I did misread the original post.

23. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Certainly cool they are gonna issue these but i too wonder at the Album choices ......... I'd like to see more Blu-ray audio in the U.S.

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've preordered the Derek & The Dominos, Bob Marley, Cat Stevens and Stevie Wonder Blu-ray Audio Discs. Gimme more!

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agreed. Very strange choices.

kevintomb and jeffrey walsh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.