Umm...isn't this a Grado cartridge??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beagle, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.thecartridgeman.com/

Scroll down and click on The 'Music Maker' Phono Cartridge pic. Check out the pics....does this not look like a Grado Prestige Gold, with a modded faceplate?

Yet Grado is not mentioned in the reviews. And reviewers are comparing it to $4000 MC carts. But it looks like a Grado Prestige to me, supposedly with a line contact stylus. And the specs (output, tracking force etc. are similar). Anyone know what's up with this?

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Could it be a modified Grado? That is certainly their cartridge body, and especially the stylus mounting! Grado doesn't have a line contact stylus though, do they?

3. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Nope... I doubt they would get so many complaints about mistracking if they did...

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Exactly my reason for not trying another one! :)

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

6. Beagle

Something smells fishy here. Why would someone hollow out a Grado body and rebuild? Pretty hard to get inside a Grado body, I've tried it. The body is moulded plastic and only the metal coil cover plate can be pried off. And are there not Grado patents being played with here? I think this is a 'potted' affair, with upgraded wiring/stylus, like the Grado Reference Series, only using the standard Grado body, and nobody is saying anything. And it's still a MM. Unless Grado is working with this company, like they are with Alessandro for their headphones. But why the hush-hush?

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Why are you so suspicious? I think it's the real thing.

In the very early '80s, A&R Cambridge released two moving magnet cartridges in the UK, the C77 and the P77. These were well reviewed, particularly the higher priced P77 which was recommended as a good starter cartridge on Linn platforms. The cartridges were, of course, made in Japan. The P77 was around GBP40.

The Garrott Brothers in Australia bought these bodies from Japan and made their own P77. This had the beautiful Weintz diamond hand mounted, and extensive work on the coils and generator to minimize cross-talk and all sorts of tricks. John and Brian had no trouble working inside these bodies - all competent cartridge restorers can do so, under the microscope, of course.

The Garrott P77 was a world beating cartridge that could thrash the pants off moving coils up to 5 times the price of the Garrott, and there was no moving magnet cartridge within cooee of it. Not particularly cheap at AUS$275 - but a bargain nonetheless.

I have no reason to doubt that the Cartridge Man can pull off a similar trick. I admire Roy Gregory (HiFi+) as a reviewer, and he gave it a very positive write up. You would be best to buy it through a mate in the UK.

Regards,
    Geoff

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Youse guys are driving me nuts. ;) Having settled on a Benz-Micro, I got sidetracked by that Shure appreciation thread and now.... this....

:D

9. thegage

As Metralla said, why is your first reaction that someone is trying to pull something on the customer?

Both reviews I linked to go into detail about the Grado connection.

Len ("Len", not "Roy") Gregory is well known for, among other things, his contributions to the Hi Fi News and RR test record. I have corresponded with him and he is very knowledgable and helpful, even though I do not own his cartridge. It all comes down to that, while I think Len knows a lot about cartridge design and building, he is not in any way a salesman; IMO his website design is not very good and the explanations wanting. If that was the only info I had on the MusicMaker I would pass it by without a second thought. Poor marketing ability does not equal conspiracy.

John K.

10. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I don't have any experience with this cartridge, but as others have said here, Grado and other cartridges have been used as platforms by other manufacturers/tweakers. Not unheard of and usually quite good. Think about it - a Grado that can track!!

There is no need for suspision. When in doubt, just research. This guy is on the level.

11. Beagle

Does it not strike anyone as a little odd that Grado would allow someone to modify the design of their lower end cart and make a better sounding one and cut in on their market? If BMW borrowed a Beetle body and subbed their motor and tranny to make a better Beetle, wouldn't VW care?

Anyway, this whole deal got me to modify (nude?) a Grado Prestige Red I had lying around. I took off the metal piece that covers/houses the coils and wiring. I removed the plastic frame on the bottom of the front part of the cart and removed the GRADO name plate which slides off. It now more resembles a Blue Point Special. Remarkable gains in transparency and clarity.

12. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Hey guys, does anyone remember the Promethean Cartridge, was a modified Grado handmade by a professional gambler in Las Vegas. I had one, it was a better tracker than any Grado i owned.

13. thegage

I'm not sure that's a good comparison since what Len Gregory does--a small-scale tuner modifying a mass-market product--is not unusual in the automotive market. For example, AMG takes a Mercedes and mods it out the wazoo. They do such a good job that Mercedes still honors their warranty. Saleen takes a Mustang and mods that. Again, warranted and sold by Ford dealers. The tuner goes this route because they don't have the resources to design and manufacture the body. The manufacturers know the customer for these "hotrodded" products is different from their standard customer, and it's a sale of their product--no matter how unstandard--they might not otherwise get, so they support it. Other customers are happy with the stock product and wouldn't take a "chance" on the modified one.

It seems to me your reaction validates the wisdom of this type of niche marketing: you probably would not buy a MusicMaker because to you it's just a hotrodded Grado, whereas I find the MusicMaker very appealing specifically because it is a tweek product and not standard. Different strokes for different folks.

In any case, does Grado have to give their OK? They are not sold under the Grado name, nor advertised as an improved Grado. Generally, what happens to a manufacturer's product after it is sold is beyond their control unless it is put to an unsafe use or it reflects negatively on the product.

John K.

14. Beagle

Thanks John, that seems to put things in proper perspective. I've got to stop being so cynical about things audio. If it's a good product, you buy it and enjoy it. Nothing else really matters. That would seem to be the best rule of thumb :)

15. thegage

I save my cynicism for things political ;) . Audio should be fun and, as you say, if you enjoy it who cares what someone else says?

John K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.