Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Jenny Lewis' Acid Tongue. "Don't Drop this record!" I got into her last year through her most recent album, which I like a lot, but this is even better. Really, really "how did I sleep on this for so long" good. Recommended. The cover might trigger some memories among this crowd, too.

rockinlazys and budwhite like this.
  2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

4. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Lonnie Mack!

rockinlazys and texron like this.
  5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Springsteen Tempe 1980 mixed from 24 track by Clearmountain. The bulk of the show was released on video last year and the remaining 10-11 songs was put up for free on Christmas on Springsteen's site via nugs.

A friend of mine ripped the songs from the blu-ray and mixed it together with the remaing tracks. I'm not really a full show guy but some of the songs that was not on the video are essential. So it's nice to have the whole show in the right order and with really good sound.

The first complete show from The river tour that was mixed by a pro. Finally.
    Dead fans have everything and in great quality. That's not the way if you're into the Bruce at all.

WiseJake237 likes this.
  6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I love this show. Recorded at the little club that Marty helped to start a few years earlier. Yes, the same club where The VU were, now notoriously, recorded nearly two years after this one. The blend of early material, Baxter's stuff, and new jams (Share a Little Joke and a pre-lyrics Ice Cream Phoenix) is nice, and the musicianship is superb. Don't mind the mono mix, you can hear everything and it sounds great.

Jefferson Airplane - Return to The Matrix, February 1, 1968
    [​IMG]

Whaddya know, I missed the anniversary by only a couple of days.

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Jefferson Airplane loves you! The box set loaded onto the iPod classic through the headphones while at the gym each evening. Some great stuff on that box set.

8. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

Definitely true, and it was great to get this Tempe download for free on Christmas Eve as well. And as far as the new downloads from the current tour go, apparently they have hired the guy who mixes Phish's live downloads to handle Bruce's from here on out. It's the safe to say that the recording of the opening night in Pittsburgh got by far the worst reception of any Springsteen download so far, so maybe there really is a new day dawning. Time will tell.

budwhite likes this.
  9. budwhite

Really? I don't know how those sound but I'm fairly certain that Springsteen has the worst sound among the so called archives/bootleg series. He's a major artist and they charge top dollar for crappy mixed shows. Fools!

I'm not gonna buy any of the new shows anyway but I would hope that some of the older shows will get a good mix this time so that's good news for everyone... maybe. Time will indeed tell

WiseJake237 likes this.
  10. budwhite

Ryan Adams
    October 28, 1999
    Exit/In
    Nashville, TN

This was always my favorite solo show but I haven't listen to it in a decade almost.
    A set with mostly unknown songs but it doesn't matter. The songs are good and his performance is great.
    Gillian Welch guests during the encores. Sweet show! Sound is excellent!

texron, wlove2372 and Erik B. like this.
  11. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

Delaney & Bonnie - Motel Shot

I can't get into the first few songs but starting with "Long Road Ahead" this album really takes off. Great acoustic soul jam vibe.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

What am I listening to besides the Dead? The Warlocks and the Emergency Crew!

13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I love me some '72'-73 Zappa, but I never found this to be in any way an adequate representation of the studio presentations from this era. It fell flat for me, so I need to give it another listen or 12, along with Zappa Wazoo, which also pales relative to the studio Grand Wazoo for me. Nothing like having 1,000 new Dylan and GD tracks to absorb without needing to go back to reassess Frank's large catalogue.

WiseJake237 likes this.
  14. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It's effective and I like it, but it doesn't WOW me. Although it's different from what I'll post below, yours has an old-world quality folk ballad thing going on. Mine is somewhat different, but the same in many ways. I listened to this one many times after hearing it for the first time:

Bingo, WiseJake237 and budwhite like this.
  15. budwhite

Both great songs from a rapidly fading era.

Crosby is still alive and performing well. It's amazing. He hasn't looked healthy in 30+ years.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Gave a first listen to The I Don't Cares' (Paul Westerberg & Juliana Hatfield) debut, Wild Stab, and it's a winner in my book. Need to give it more spins soon. Also another spin of Jenny Lewis' Acid Tongue (trying to decide whether I should send back a vinyl copy a second time for minor warping and a minor skip near the end of one track, overall this is is better than the first copy I returned, but not what new vinyl should be - sounds great other than the skip though), and then kept the Jenny Lewis going with The Voyager. Much slicker production, but I like this one too. Acid Tongue is my favorite of the two. I guess I am going to have to dig deeper into her back catalog and finally check out Rilo Kiley.

rockinlazys and budwhite like this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Taking a brief break from Jenny Lewis to listen to Tiny Tim's The Ice Caps Are Melting. Because when inspiration strikes, you gotta roll with it. Wow, that was really… um… something!!!

The map has changed… and with it… me...

texron and notesofachord like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I guess the real name of that bat---- insane Tiny Tim song is The Other Side. Pynchon called it "The Ice Caps are Melting" in Inherent Vice and I just went with that.

Anyway, I am staying way up too late, yet again, and it is time for Lou Reed's Street Hassle. This can't end well.

rockinlazys and notesofachord like this.
  19. notesofachord

[​IMG]

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. notesofachord

Right now, finishing up Angel's Delight by Fairport Convention. Before that I spun Fiona Apple's sophmore effort, When the Pawn... . Before that was Psychicemotus by Yusef Lateef.

rockinlazys likes this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

At least he gets it!

rockinlazys and notesofachord like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Lou Reed's Street Hassle. Common sense has gone out the window and I am still up and this is the exact right context for this absolutely killer album.

rockinlazys likes this.
  23. notesofachord

One final album tonight:

Love - Four Sail

This is a wonderful album. In fact, I like it just as much as Forever Changes.

[​IMG]

rockinlazys, budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I have a bunch of non-Forever Changes songs on the very good Love Story 2-disc comp, but I need to track down the original albums.

25. notesofachord

Love Story is a great comp. Here's a groovy tune from Four Sail that didn't make the cut for the comp:

"Nothing"

It seems that the comp focused on the harder rocking tunes, while the Major-7th chord-based, hippie-dippie LA tunes, which are closer to the original band (think Da Capo) got left off.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.