Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Last night, Bob Marley's Uprising. I'd post the artwork but it's so much work--resize art, upload to photobucket, copy link, paste link.

The social media age is HELL. :nauga::nauga::nauga::D

2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

side 1 of that album might be my favorite album side from them. (that or survival side 1) I'm putting it on now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

Slacker.

budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  4. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

DKV Trio : Live in Wels & Chicago - disc 2 - 2nd & 3rd tracks 42 minutes of the greatest music I've ever heard: "Blues for Tomorrow" then "Burning Sky"

DKV is Hamid Drake, Kent Kessler & Ken Vandermark

above second disc recorded @ The Velvet Lounge, the legendary club which was located on Indiana Avenue in Chicago, IL - Fred Anderson bartender, owner, proprietor, master tenor saxophonist, last of his kind.

5. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Survival. So good.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Survival is my favorite overall, after Burnin, which I consider the Wailers as a band as opposed to Bob's backing group.

Side 1 of Uprising is really good, but I don't rate a couple of the side 2 songs as well and I usually skip the acoustic Redemption Song. Still a great record, but Survival is just another level.

DrLunchbox, wlove2372 and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

That's because Bunny and Peter left after the recording of Burnin'. Well. I think Peter stayed on for some live shows or maybe just that tour, and then he was gone. Bob was totally dominating the band at that point. But I think the Marley stuff after those guys leave is more cohesive, and he had no problem carrying all the water. Peter was good enough to be his own deal. I'm not sure what Bunny did but I know he's still living. He was a big deal on his own in Jamaica I think, and I know he won a Grammy at some point.

So I put on Survival cuz you guys were talking about it. (Note absence of album art in post.)

8. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Bunny rarely leaves Jamaica. He has acquired a reputation for being prickly. I haven't heard any new material out of him in a long time. He got into dance hall and I lost interest in the 90s. However, I was lucky enough to see him in the Bay Area on his one and only solo U.S. Tour around 1988. He played at one of those "in the round" theaters that were once in vogue a long time ago, with the spinning stage. It was owned by Sammy Davis, Jr. of all people. The place was half full but the show was tremendous.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Shortcut: search on discogs, copy link, paste link. A social media hell with two grinning devils rather than three, perhaps?

wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I respect all of those picks. I'm a Rastaman Vibration guy, followed by Burnin'. Uprising is my least favorite of the non-posthumous albums, but still pretty darn swell.

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'd highly, highly recommend Bunny Wailer's Blackheart Man.

rockinlazys and wlove2372 like this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Finishing up my first listen to Phish's Live at Madison Square Garden 12/31/95. On a bit of a Phish kick since the great Bill Graham Civic run last week. It's been a great show overall, although they kind of suck at playing Johnny B. Goode. Trey doesn't know how to play Chuck Berry double-stops well, and that's really the key, obviously. Garcia on the other hand is quite great at it, and Keef is probably the best other than the man himself.

Gonna follow this up with yet another spin through NRBQ's At Yankee Stadium, because I have also been on a bit of a kick with that album lately.

rockinlazys likes this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Yes.

14. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Any fans of Perpetual Groove out there? I love this Jam Band.

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Can I complain here about the announced price of the new Pink Floyd box set too? It's an un-grateful subject, after all :D

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I love Chuck Berry covers when they are done well, like the stones and the dead did. Not a fan otherwise just like you said

Rehearsals. Great stuff. Also funny in the movie when Chuck wants to change key in the middle of a song but Keith turns him down :D

Crispy Rob likes this.
  18. budwhite

You guys talked about the BBC recordings in the dead thread. What version should I track down? I dont have any live PF other than the official stuff

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Which version? I have digital files of the 1970/1971 sessions that sound really good. I can't remember where I found them, really, it was many years ago. Those recordings (which I love) will probably be included in the new box set, anyway. :realmad:

20. budwhite

Ah so the box set isn't announced yet? I don't have time to go through 28 pages

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It was announced yesterday, and there will be another announcement in a few minutes. Price tag: $700

:shake:

22. budwhite

Yuck. 27 CDs v 80 for the porch crusher at same price

23. budwhite

I caved and pre ordered. 397£ including shipping.

27 DISC COLLECTION ON CD/DVD/BLU-RAY INCLUDES:
    + Many hours of rare and unreleased music & video
    + 14 Hours of video includes restored footage
    + original 4.0 Quad mixes / BBC sessions/live recordings
    + rare tracks including more than 20 previously unreleased
    + historic TV performances, live concerts and 3 feature films
    + Remixed 5.1 audio for 'Live At Pompeii' footage
    + collectable memorabilia
    +100+ photos, most previously unseen
    + early singles + B sides on CD & vinyl

* 7 book-style packages, each with multiple discs. 6 are dedicated to a specific period and include related memorabilia and many unseen photos.
    * Box bonus package includes collector's audio and video. Box includes bonus larger replica memorabilia (posters, flyers, etc.) plus 5 x reissued replica 7" singles, mastered from the original analogue tapes.

ALSO AVAILABLE ON 11TH NOVEMBER 2016:
    + 2-CD/Download/Streaming set - 'The Early Years - CRE/ATION 1967-1972’

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Use this list as your guide.
    @rontoon is the Charlie Miller of Floyd boots.

Pink Floyd RoIO Cover Art »

wavethatflag and budwhite like this.
  25. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

had to put it on! you guys are enablers!

such a great sounding record. and Babylon System is such a great great song.