Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I grooved to this Afro-Electro-Funk underground genius on the way to work n' back today:

Who is William Onyeabor?
    [​IMG]

rockinlazys likes this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Deep Purple Perfect Strangers Live DVD. I bought this because at the tender age of 14, I won front row tickets to the New Haven show on this tour from a radio station contest. Right before the band hit the stage the two guys next to us offered us a pipe, but having watched an episode or two too many of Quincy I was scared that it might contain angel dust or crack. One of them then promptly slumped over passed out for the entire show like the "partied out" guy in Wayne's World, and stayed passed out for almost two hours until all of a sudden he came alive and rocked out big time for the Smoke on the Water encore. This DVD is pretty much putting me back in my seat in front of Jon Lord and Roger Glover, and next to the probably harmless guys who partied too hard but most likely were not crack/angel dust/ketamine/amly nitrate addicts.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Miles David, Big Fun - vinyl copy I picked up a few months ago. First listen, although I believe I have all of this material on various metal box CD sets

Erik B. likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Just say no! That was the early 80s for you.

I've been listening to 80s George Harrison all morning--Gone Troppo (which has his soundtrack song to Time Bandits on it--news to me), Cloud Nine, and then I went back to "Blow Away", "My Sweet Lord" and "What Is Life." Going back to the GD momentarily, though...

rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    My Morning Jacket
    The Waterfall

jeffrey walsh and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. budwhite

Yeah, I listened to a few tracks earlier tonight. A bit polished was the first thing that came to mind

8. budwhite

9. budwhite

I miss the rockies!
    Three years since I drove on the epic 550 aka the San Juan skyway from Durango up to Silverton, CO

rockinlazys likes this.
  10. budwhite

Nice crowd reaction

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

rockinlazys likes this.
  12. budwhite

Willie Nelson@crossroads 2007. Such a singer, always

Crispy Rob likes this.
  13. budwhite

14. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

[​IMG]

"Who Killed The Cheerleader?" is a highlight from this very good album.

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Replacements All Shook Down. This album doesn't get enough love from 'Mats fans, although I saw Spiral Stairs from Pavement commenting that Nobody was a highlight of the Seattle show he caught. Cool to hear that one and a bit of the title track in SF

budwhite likes this.
  16. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Started with Gene Clark- s/t, moved a bit up tempo with Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians- RESPECT. Needed some real dust and dirt story telling so grabbed Ray Wylie Hubbard- Delirium Tremolos produced by the fabulous Gurf Morlix. XTC's Apple Venus, the LP that brought me back into the fold with this great (IMO) band. Crisis What Crisis?- Supertramp. I bought this on a whim, I knew nothing about this band besides a couple cuts and this record knocked me out some pretty tunes others haunting and sad. Ending my music listening with Grandaddy- Sumday a recording full of interesting ditties.

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

This morning while working at home while the plumber was here: Cannonball in Europe! Later, after going to the office and back, Dave Bromberg Devil In Disguise (featuring Garcia, Lesh, Kreutzmann, and Godchaux). Solid album with a few gems, like Diamond Lil (literally a gem, with good advice: "a man should never gamble, more than he can stand to lose") and a nice version of Mr. Bojangles. Which reminded me that the GD played on the studio half of his next album, Wanted Dead or Alive (hence the title), which I never got 'round to picking up. Bought this and his self-titled album back in college and tonight was my first dip back into them in 20+ years.

Winding down with the Meat Puppets "Up On the Sun" my spontaneous pick to force my Album Club to listen to this month. Meat Puppets II gets all the love, in part because Nirvana did so many songs from it on MTV Unplugged, but as great as that album is, I like this one better. Psychedelic as all get out.

18. budwhite

Well, thanks to Jesus I'm off work until Monday. Just made a really big ice cold dry martini and listening to Nassau NYE 1980.

[​IMG]
    Amen!

19. budwhite

I'm warming up to the Saloon piano. It's pretty unique in the Springsteen live catalogue.
    It's not that I'm not used to it, this show was one of the first 5 bootlegs I ever listened to and I played it to death. But since it got 38 songs you don't easily get bored.

What a great band. Still is
    Springsteen found something kinda of his own with the piano as one of the lead instrument with wailing B3 organ close behind, topped off with the Saxophone. And himself being one of the best front men ever to hit the stage. and the songs.... and.. oh man!

20. budwhite

The who. Kilburn 77 blu-ray bonus.

1969. Awesome!

21. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

http://www.*******.com/uploads/posts/2009-12/1260973309_frrr.jpg

Olompali likes this.
  22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I don't have a problem with the piano sound on this show. For some reason, I haven't finished listening yet. New release is now available. Must finish this one before buying the '84 show.

I agree, the overall sound of Springsteen's band is somewhat unique. I was at one of the reunion shows in Europe and someone in our group didn't quite get why a piano and organ were necessary. So much of their sound depends on the swirling organ just below the surface.

23. budwhite

So good!

notesofachord likes this.
  24. budwhite

[​IMG]

No surrender for Little Steven. It's a bit ironic that he choose that tour to finally play acoustic guitar. Some shows he did up to 6-7 songs either solo or acoustic with the band

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Right now, Close To the Edge, by Yes. Usually considered their best, but not my favorite.