Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That box has been torturing me since it was first suggested. My mind says "nothing will top the E72 box set", but they still have tons of material in the vault I would like to have on CD (even when I'm not interested in post-1980 Dead).

2. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Sifted through my collection this morning (with the help of discogs) to see if I could discern that "alluring Monarch sound".

Currently spinning Buffalo Springfield - Last Time Around.

Also looking at:

Marvin Gaye LIVE Palladium
    Fever Tree
    GoGo's - Vacation
    Dusty Springfield - Son Of A 7"
    Doors - Love Me Two Times 7"

I might have to take a detour through Tago Mago land though. ;)

3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The Rolling Stones this afternoon:

Some Girls and Black and Blue

rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I've been digging deep today into the not so often played--Pete Townshend, All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes and Sheryl Crow, Wildflower.

5. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

Tomorrow you're going
    The Pine Hill Project

This has an excellent version of I Know You Rider. It has an excellent fiddle and great vocals.

6. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Just picked up a remastered Pink Floyd- The Wall. Such a pleasure to hear this again in all its glory. I know it has to do with not really giving it a serious listen in many years. We played it out as teens way back when. There was a good reason for that, what an amazing ,over the top, masterpiece.

Rne likes this.
  7. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Just listened to disc 7 of the wicked affordable 8 SACD set of the Beethoven String Quartets by the Tokyo Quartet.

Now, that November 73 Denver DP that I just know is lurking about here somewhere.

8. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

[​IMG]

CSNY 1974 - Blu-Ray Disc

After listening to David's incredible interview on Howard Stern this week I've been on a huge Crosby, CSN, CSNY kick this week. Damn, how could this have sat unreleased for 40 years ??!?!

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    A masterpiece, ladies and gentlemen.

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Same here man, I've been listening to CSN all day

11. rufus t firefly

Just began a Zappa kick that i am sure will last a month or two. Started with Lather. !!

rockinlazys likes this.
  12. budwhite

Robert Cray with BB King for the moment.

Has any one seen Cray live?

Erik B. likes this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Läther is the closest we've got to an almost complete portrait of Zappa as an artist.

rufus t firefly and wavethatflag like this.
  14. rufus t firefly

FZ continues to amaze me. Many musicians , artists of that generation left us too soon. I would argue that the music that may have been in his future represents the biggest loss.

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Like happens with the genius shown in your avatar, one can't help wondering what Frank would be doing was he still with us.

16. rufus t firefly

I felt compelled to change my avatar in honor of our discussion. (bows) "we're not worthy"

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes, a couple times, both just a bit over 15 years ago. He's definitely worth seeing, with the caveat that it's been a while in my case. A random tidbit: former Robert Cray Band member Tim Kiahatsu, who passed away relatively recently, used to hang out at my favorite local watering hole (he taught school in Piedmont, a small separate city completely surrounded by Oakland), and his gold record for one of their albums (Midnight Stroll, IIRC) has been on the wall there for years. I never got to know him, unfortunately, and only discovered he'd been a fixture there posthumously, although I'd always wondered what that gold record was doing there.

budwhite likes this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Some days ago I was listening to that album and thinking what an overlooked piece it is!

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listening to Santana Amigos for the first time in over 20 years. Boy am I getting old. Anyway, it's better than I remembered.

wavethatflag likes this.
  20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I lived in Piedmont for a year, and the year before that I lived right on the Oakland/Piedmont border, just off of Piedmont Ave. You live in Piedmont for, really, (a) the schools, and (b) because if you call the cops, they're there in less than 5 minutes. A mile away in Oakland, good luck trying to get that to happen, even in a nice neighborhood. Although I never had any need to call the cops when I lived in Oakland. Yeah, I'm not ragging on Oakland at all. But because Piedmont is its own small city, it has its own police force.

This is more of a video recommendation, but Montage of Heck (about Kurt Cobain) on HBO is pretty good. I watched it last night. I think I'm going to watch the Weir documentary on Netflix this weekend, definitely. (00ps that's not not Dead... today was a hard day to be un-grateful because I'm going to go on an all-Dead jag I think.)

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  21. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Side 2 of Amigos has some semi-clunkers, definitely of their time (1976).

23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

The Sun Ra Arkestra Under the Direction of Marshall Allen - A Song for the Sun. I ordered this with two other CDs via snail mail back in early April and the first two came through but this was on back-order. Arrived today, and it's probably the best of the three I ordered.

Yrs from Saturn,
    Archie

This is a very challenging period of Zappa. I'm not sure if I prefer Uncle Meat, Burnt Weenie, Weasels, or Chunga's, one over another. Hot Rats is a brilliant stand out, but these are tough to rank. Certainly they are better than the Flo and Eddie stupidity, although Aynsley Dunbar played some crazy stuff in '70-'71.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  24. budwhite

Sitting in the sun with a beer and listening to CSN 1969. Life is pretty swell

25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Watched part of Montage of Heck (nirvana doc) until my wife got too tired to keep going tonight. Well done so far. Please fund my kickstarted campaign to create a doc re: John Lennon and Harry Nillson's LA "lost weekend" called "Montage of Heckles". That is something that really needs to exist. GD content: Cobain jokes about sending early demos to Jerry Garcia.

Breaking out another vinyl album bought for $1.99 circa Nevermind release date: Hot Tuna's Phosphorescent Rat. Lots of snaps and crackles on this copy and far from their strongest album, but still a good listen and starts off strong with I See the Light, always a highlight live. Like Amigos, haven't heard this one since college days when vinyl was 1.99 and a touch of grey was a song and not a facial feature.

rockinlazys likes this.