Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    2014 remaster. Very good debut album.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Beautiful encounter between East and West.

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This was me in high school, playing the original incarnation of Live At Leeds constantly (and, as you might surmise, at that time the original ed. was the only).

And due to that experience, I declared to my friends that I was only interested in buying live albums because if a band couldn't get it right live, I couldn't possibly be interested. I doubt I lived up to that declaration for more than a couple months.

Have you seen The Kids Are Alright? If not, see it--some great live versions filmed just before the four were no more.

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

To be fair, if you are in high school and Live At Leeds doesn't convince you that live music is the only way to go, you may be broken.

5. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

One of my all-time favorites in any genre. I can't even imagine what it would've been like in 1967 to be listening to other pop music and then stumble into the Captain's dimension.

I will admit that I found the bonus tracks completely unnecessary. The songs and playing order are just perfect; it's a crime to undercut the finish of "Autumn's Child" (that guitar/theremin interplay!).

wavethatflag and Rne like this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Unfortunately, they didn't have any footage from 1971, so they organized a special show in 1978 and filmed it so "Baba O'Riley" and "Wont' Get Fooled Again" could be included in the documentary. In fact, tomorrow will be the 39th anniversary of that performance, the very last one with Moon.

wavethatflag and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Those bonus tracks, which come from the aborted "Brown Wrapper" sessions, were going to be included in a double-cd reissue of Mirror Man, but in order to keep the reissue campaign pocket-friendly, they decided to use the space in Safe As Milk and kept the former as a single release.

wavethatflag and notesofachord like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Watching My Morning Jacket on the best of Austin City Limits. I believe they were promoting the Evil Urges album at the time.

[​IMG]

9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I caught 10 minutes of them last night on ACL. I really should listen to them more.
    Any suggestions for an album or live show to get started with?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  10. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

It Still Moves. it's good.

11. wavethatflag

According to Jeff Stein in the DVD bonus material, one of the motivating factors for the staged concert was the fact he couldn't find any footage with what he considered a definitive Townshend leap such as he saw at NYC shows as a fan.

As it happened, he never caught it. As Roger does his yell near the end of Won't Get Fooled Again, Pete leaps high into the air but the stage lights are still out. When the lights are hit, we see Pete sliding across the stage having just landed.

Right after that, they cut to Pete to the side of Roger many feet opposite from where Pete just landed seconds ago because the performance was pieced together from at least two performances of the song.

Stein said Pete was fairly surly at the time of filming so he could only push him so hard to keep executing acrobatic Pete moves.

It's still top shelf footage though, I think.

Rne and Crispy Rob like this.
  12. wavethatflag

At about 7:39, Pete is moving from stage right having just leapt into far stage left. I'm Zaprudering The Who....

Won't Get Fooled Again from The Kids Are Alright, unfortunately not in widescreen and with someone else's subtitles added in.

Rne likes this.
  13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

As stated above, It Still Moves is great. Their newest album, The Waterfall, is great too. The only official live album is Okonokos, but may could just check out one of their epic Bonnaroo sets on the LiveMusicArchive, such as this one from 2006. Check out the covers of tunes by The Who, Velvet Underground, Flying Burrito Brothers, The Band, and The Rolling Stones.

archive.org/details/MMJ2006-06-16..4011s

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    wlove2372, budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  14. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Tried to get into MMJ several times. Just never clicked.

15. wavethatflag

I got into them way after the fact after assuming for years I wouldn't like them. I'm not a glass half-full guy, really. It was an Austin City Limits performance that hooked me. Also, the song "Outta My System."

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It Still Moves and Z are probably the best entry points for MMJ. I picked up At Dawn before those came out, when it was their newest, and really liked it but still stupidly didn't make an effort to go see them live until when Evil Urges came out (three albums later). After that first show, I've tried to catch them live whenever I can, and kicked myself for not going earlier.

17. wavethatflag

I enjoyed seeing James solo at HSB last year but couldn't help but think that I missed years of good MMJ live, something I've yet to see.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Definitely go next time, but yeah, I had the same feeling after seeing them for the first time in 2008...

I am sure there is some other band or artist I'm sleeping on in the meantime, that future me will kick myself for not checking out live recently or now. Most likely candidate is Ty Segall, although I do have (and like) a couple of his albums.

20. wavethatflag

I've seen him twice at GAMH, once as himself and once in Fuzz. If you can get over the fact you'll be surrounded by twenty-somethings (but with a few old hippies lingering in the back) you'll be OK. I liked him right away because he's straight up garage rock.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The 1977 footage from Kilburn is also interesting. The proto "Who Are You" is nice and Keith, though already in decadence, is a bit better than in the '78 show. Pete is in a bad mood, though :laugh:

22. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

MMJ streaming from Lock'n last year was one stellar performance. Unforgettable.

NP:
    [​IMG]

23. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Cleansing the palette with a couple free jazz/improv recordings

Schlippenbach Trio: First Recordings

released a couple of years back from 4/2/72 recorded by an unknown engineer. The great pianist with a young fire breathing Evan Parker on tenor & soprano saxophones with Paul Lovens already idiosyncraticly munificent crashing away at his kit.

Ken Vandermark Topology Nonet: Impressions of Po Music featuring Joe McPhee

Recorded June 2nd, 2011 featuring McPhee compositions interspersed with oblique stunning improvisations by the best Chicago band one might ever imagine.

24. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

^^^ Dig that Kurt Vile album.

I have a handful of Ty Segall albums and like his heavy psych sound. My 18-year-old son was a bit miffed I had him in my collection since, apparently, it is only up to him to know about new bands in this household. Dad is only good for UK pressings of Pink Floyd and olive WB label Dead albums.

If one is beginning with Ty Segall, I recommend starting with Manipulator. Less hippy than the cover would make you think, but plenty trippy.

[​IMG]

25. wavethatflag

The gem in that set is the '69 London Coliseum show, even though it's all filmed by one stationary camera, as I recall.

footlooseman likes this.