Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

great play

adamos likes this.
  3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

5. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Jaimie Branch: Fly or Die

someone here PLEASE listen to this. I'm starting to be convinced this is 35 minutes of genius/magic music

Trumpet, cello, bass & drums with some acoustic guitar added along with a bit of additional cornet here and there. Tunes & improvisation with beats and no beats. Brilliant.

adamos likes this.
  7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I've got it on my musical to-do list from when it was mentioned here recently. It's happily a long and growing list so I haven't got there yet, but maybe I'll let it cut in line...

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

9. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Erik: Book of Souls
    RNE: Smiths/LTB

Brilliant! Erik, you've received no love for posting Maiden, but IMHO they are writing the book (so to speak) on how a living legend of reputed distal fame reincarnates success in contemporary terms. I suspect the bottom line is this: Dickinson is a MENSA-level genius with a range of energy and aptitudes that are arguably unprecedented in the history of popular musical accomplishment. His intellectual dexterity and curiosity manifest in divers activities from flying the company 757, radio and TV documentary host, novel & screenwriting author, and classical literature connoisseur on par with Robert Hunter - at least based on direct citations and thematic interpretations in his lyrical catalogue.

I know Maiden will always be associated with that seminal, Reagan-era trifecta of Beast, Powerslave, and 7th Son, but for my $$$, I'm living the heyday since reunion circa 2000 with Brave New World; Dance/Death; Life/Death; Frontier; and BOS. Interestingly, my appreciation for Maiden and Metal (a term I dislike almost as much as "classic" rock) developed only after I revisited - and became an ardent devotee of - Classical music, particularly the Romantic era. Odd; yet I haven't the academic instruction or technical knowledge to explain the connection - I just know I hear profound similarities./K

ianuaditis and Erik B. like this.
  10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the first disc. Will have to give the second disc a spin. Looking forward to the 18 minute song

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

We used to have a library cat at the local library. Her name was Buttercup. You'd be in the reference area and hear her mewing as she made her way back. She belonged to one of the neighbors and just wandered in all the time.

Sadly she died a couple years ago, but there's a nice picture of her in the library.

Thanks to your post, I discovered this was included with Prime, so I'm streaming it now.

I skipped straight to the 18 minute song though. :evil:

Erik B. and wavethatflag like this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Tower of Power, Back to Oakland. Sweeet hometown jams, albeit from a long ago era.

13. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Sometimes I think we share the same brain. I love this album, Six Blade Knife, Water of Love...

After finishing Jerry, After Midnight, Keane College, I listened to some of the first show from Trey's latest solo tour. He does CSN's 49 Bye-Byes for anyone interested. Now I'm listening to the Style Council as the latest chapter in my Paul Weller fascination.

I've really gone soft in the head. Twenty years ago my reaction to this music would be "What is this crap?"

16. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

You've matured, and about time, too! ;)

I have listened to 2 of the 200 discs in the massive Mozart 225 box I've had for a while. So some chamber music for harpsichord and violin. I need to buy a white wig to wear, and be the Squire of Gothos!

Then it will be a disc of "doubtful works"-i.e. did he really write this or was it some copycat? Salieri, j'accuse!

This is about as highbrow as I get. I will drink my morning coffee with my pinky sticking out. Ta ta!

Rne, footlooseman, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Dave Rempis with Joshua Abrams & Avyreel Ra: Perehelion (disc 1)

If you want to hear one of the greatest saxophonists alive, you could do much worse than Dave Rempis. He is burning here and this 45 minute piece is perfectly balanced and powerful current modern free jazz.

18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

that mozart box really tempts me. But alas I am on a buying sabbatical again

dzhason likes this.
  19. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Just got back last night after being away for a week and this was waiting in the mailbox for me, so about to put it on for as many tracks as I have time for:

Nicole Mitchell's Ice Crystal - Aquarius

[​IMG]

Glad it finally came, I ordered it about 5 or 6 weeks ago; still waiting, though, for Josh Abrams' Simultonality, which I ordered at the same time, to ship.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

This is on Apple Music, I added it to my library so that I don't forget. I'd listen to it now but I'm about to break in to this Nicole Mitchell, I'll check it out tomorrow on the way to work hopefully.

22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

:biglaugh:

budwhite likes this.
  23. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

This came on the sound system when I was shopping at Waterloo records in Austin. Didn't make the impulse purchase, but I will probably buy it eventually.

24. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have her Awakening CD with Jeff Parker on guitar. Very nice. I love jazz flute!

dzhason likes this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I'd buy anything with Jeff Parker's name on it... well, almost anything, except, for example, a bag of farts.