Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Thanks! I might seek this out on discogs. I have many of the key songs from those albums on the Groovies' Greatest Grooves comp, but haven't gotten around to getting the full albums, and $37 for all 3 plus the bonus track doesn't sound like a bad deal.

2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Yes this is the one. You might be prompting me to do some Cecil listening. It's been a while since I've listened to the 78 - 84 unit with that crew. 3 Phasis is a good one. The Eighth is a fine quartet on hatART plus many more.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    (listening to this particular remix)

4. Dahabenzapple

Francois Carrier, Michael Lambert & Rafal Mazur: Unknowable

On Not Two records

Carrier on alto saxophone, Mazur on acoustic bass guitar & Lambert on drums

Under the radar very strong freely improvised jazz recorded live @ Alchemia Jazz Klub in Kraków on the "peaceful and soulful" afternoon of 6/2/2014 in pristine sound as is always the case with Not Two records.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I enjoyed it much more than Raven. But I'm not a fan of the drumming/tempo that some songs go into.
    Is his music called progressive rock? I don't know anything about that type music. Never listened to Genesis, Yes or King Crimson, if that is also some kind of progressive rock..?

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, we could call it prog rock (though I'm not a big fan of labels). I'm a big fan of the groups that you mentioned!

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I forgot to mention that The Raven is much closer to the classsic 70's prog sound.

8. budwhite

Yes I noticed that ;)
    Not a big fan of labels either but since I don't know this type of music I need something to go by.
    King Crimson is the most likely of the three mentioned that I'm going to check out next. But it's not on spotify and I don't usually buy CDs anymore(except for Dave's picks and boxes) so it might take a while

9. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Have 3 Phases, but not the Eighth.

I also have a few of the Berlin 88 shows - the one with Lovens (Regalia), one with Moholo (Remembrance), and the one with Honsinger and Evan Parker (The Hearth) -- I guess at one point they released all the Berlin 88 shows in a box set.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  10. Dahabenzapple

My favorite with the Berlin related dudes is the 2 CD set of the large ensemble Alms/Tiergarten when we get Brotzmann piercing through the maelstrom at points going toe to toe with *the* original free jazz guy - Cecil Taylor. Great passages with Evan Parker as well breaking through to the forefront, I think Bennink is the drummer on that monstrous set but he might be joined by Paul Lovens.

11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ike Quebec - Easy Living

[​IMG]

Erik B., rockinlazys and wavethatflag like this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

Ken Vandermark Territory Band 6: Collide

His original transatlantic band is joined by Fred Anderson on tenor. Recorded live 8/24/2006 live in Chicago

On okkadisc - the last of the 6 Territory band recordings - I'm liking the last 3 the most with the added electronics care of Lasse Marhaug. Collisions indeed.

13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Check THIS out:

Be warned: there is a much darker, sinister vibe going on then anything from the GD & family side of things. KC may be great musicians/improvisers, but they are most certainly NOT hippies.

14. Dahabenzapple

Just find a copy of USA or any multi-track live recordings from 73-74 and dive in. Was just listening to some of 6/28/74 in Asbury Park, NJ tonight as a matter of fact. Point of reference is that the LP USA when I first bought it in 1979 was (followed closely by the studio albums Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Starless & Bible Black and Red) to me the greatest music I'd ever heard of any sort or any type up to that point in time to this 19 year old.

Today I still find it comparable in genius to what was going on the same night at Boston Garden. Totally and thoroughly NOT hippies and totally and throughly genius music making on the same highest order of what was happening 5 hours north. Bruford/Wetton is the meanest most powerful drums/bass combination in the history of rock music.

For perspective there is other improvised music that I've raved about here that is also comparable in quality to these ears these days as I've ventured into different realms of music over the decades. But still maybe nothing as viscerally powerful as 73-74 King Crimson.

Maybe Peter Brotzmann

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Speaking of "The Raven", the one I go for is the song/album by The Stranglers. It's a groovy bit of The Doors-inspired neo-psychedelia.

budwhite, Crispy Rob and rockinlazys like this.
  16. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Yes, that is a wonderful reissue with great poster of gatefold info. I saw Tapscott at the strangest fern bar on University Ave. in Berkeley not sure of the year. Also a really great show at Koncepts Cultural Gallery in Downtown Oakland in '91 with Blythe and Tapscott. Wonderful talent!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

18. budwhite

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Octahedron, by The Mars Volta. A song-oriented album, with the usual horrid mastering. A real pity, because with different sonics it could be a far better album than the one it already is.

Erik B. likes this.
  20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Why must all The Mars Volta albums sound like a$$?

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The first two are loud, the rest are unbearably loud. A true pity.

Erik B. likes this.
  22. budwhite

[​IMG]

A slice of Americana.

23. budwhite

Question: Why can't I find this video on my phone, nor play it? It works fine from my tablet and both are Samsung.
    I was going to send this to mom so she could play it on the TV via chromecast from her phone, but no can do

24. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

25. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Listening to Frank Zappa - Big Swifty on XM Deep Tracks.