Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Miles Davis - Black Beauty
    [​IMG]

Yes, the incredible Miles Davis Band opened for the Grateful Dead on these shows. The entire band is on fire. Chick Corea is especially killin' it on this recording. It also has one of my all-time favorite Fillmore posters:

[​IMG]

Well, let's be fair: they were co-headliners - as should be. Stone the Crows is the true opening band.

The CD sounds great, but is a little bass-shy. I turned the bass eq knob to 2 o' clock - much better. Dave Holland's electric bass and Jack DeJohnette's bass drum come in much punchier now.

The Fillmore East recordings from this period are essential as well. While the NY venue didn't have the posters like the SF venue, there are some cool shots of the marquee. Here's the one from the March gigs that they opened for Neil Young & Crazy Horse. I'll have to play the Miles sets followed by the NY & Crazy Horse set back to back sometime to experience what it was like on those long ago New York nights.

[​IMG]

Well, without the haze of pot smoke, of course... ;)

You'll also notice that the Joe Cocker shows from that marquee are the main ones featured in the classic Mad Dogs & Englishmen album/film.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    wlove2372, budwhite, Manimal and 8 others like this.
  2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] German pressing scored today. Sweet

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm not sure that they sound horrible, but they are a bit fatiguing. Of course, I could fatigue myself with Juan Alderete's bass work on this forever:

Manimal, footlooseman and ianuaditis like this.
  4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Satanists

5. Archtop

Repent!

[Honestly, I'm not sure I understand your post; I just dig the bass part. I don't over-think this stuff.]

Erik B. likes this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

No, no, no, no--everybody put on some GD and go to the other thread. Yeah, fine, I was listening to some TAB* earlier and now I'm not. HINT!

*Trey Anastasio Band

budwhite and Erik B. like this.
  7. Archtop

Go pound sand, mate. I've listened to some 20 hours of GoGD in the past three-four days. I needed Juan Alderete to bust me out of odd-dom and into strangebuthardgroovy-dom.

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

got my two night pass of TAB here at the Brooklyn Bowl !

footlooseman and wavethatflag like this.
  9. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

[​IMG]

Baphomet is a deity, demon and/or symbolic icon which originated in the 14th century as a supposed figure of worship of the Knights Templar. In those accounts, Baphomet was described as an inscribed head or human skull. The name “Baphomet” originally was a deformation of the name of Muhammad, the prophet of Islam. Claims that the Templars were worshipping “Baphomet” meant, in fact, that they were secret Muslims. Medieval European folklore did not recognize that Islam was a monotheistic faith, and imagined instead that Muslims prayed and sacrificed to a number of terrifying and evil imaginary deities.

In the 19th century, French occultist Eliphas Lévi formulated the modern conception of the figure via an illustration portraying it with wings, a horned goat’s head and an emblazoned pentagram…and, oddly, breasts (though that might be unsurprising since it was drawn by a Frenchman). The Freemasons were thereafter accused of worshipping it, after which it was incorporated into the theology of Thelema, and in turn into the iconography of LaVeyan Satanism.

Owing to Levi’s drawing and these associations, the figure, in a similar manner to Baal and Moloch, has (mistakenly) become virtually synonymous with Satan in popular consciousness, and it continues to be brought up in the present day by conspiracy theorists as the claimed god of whomever their boogeyman of choice is.

rockinlazys and Archtop like this.
  10. wavethatflag

Oh, as if your thoughts right now, at this moment, don't contain Dark Stars you've been meaning to Arch-analyze.

budwhite and Erik B. like this.
  11. wavethatflag

I got both nights at the Fox, Oakland, my TAB brother. :D

Erik B. likes this.
  12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

pretty cool. imho TAB aint' worth an 8 hour drive, but is worth a 30 minute uber.

ENJOY! Stay away from the brown TABs at TAB

budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  13. Archtop

I dig this sort of esoteric and deeply past history, but I mean, all I really dig is the bass part and how the tenor sax layers the insanity.

I don't Arch-analyze, but I do walk along life's path humming Dark Star even when I'm not actually doing that.

14. wavethatflag

Have you heard the brown donut warning in one of the Baker's shows? I think it was the one where they open with "Chocolate Rain" by the great Tay Zonday.

I thought you lived in Vegas? I'm confused.

Erik B. likes this.
  15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

as you should be, my fellow TAB-explorer.

I would drive to Dick's if I could find a three day pass.

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Morning commuting:
    • Waiting for the train, on the train, getting off the train and waiting for the subway: Welcome To My Nightmare, by Alice Cooper (I skipped "Cold Ethyl" and "Escape" because they're not very interesting).
    • On the subway, while reading: Gaspard de la nuit (Ravel) and Allegro tempestoso (Prokofiev) performed by Martha Argerich in 1960.
    • Getting off the subway, reaching the surface and walking to work: "Weather Report Suite" (11/11/73)

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Keith Richards Vintage Vinos collection.

I love Keith. He's a fine singer and there's something in his voice that drags me in. Same with Garcia and Dylan, none of them is hailed as a great singer, being my point.

I wonder when Keith is going to do a covers album. He can sing while Tom Waits play the piano. Would love to hear something in that vein

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Streaming the new Steven Wilson's album.

Edit: I stopped the streaming because I'm gonna buy it this afternoon :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Olompali and Erik B. like this.
  19. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

Those two belong together.

footlooseman and budwhite like this.
  20. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Just popped this in and cranked it up. The rhythms are filling the house - heads are bobbing, shoulders swaying. :)

21. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  22. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Graham Nash - Chicago/We Can Change the World.

24. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

25. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident