Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Forum Resident

Miles Davis at Fillmore is edited. The other, newer one has the full, unedited sets. Still, the original 2LP live album is an interesting listen since the edits somewhat keep things moving although they can be a bit jarring at times.

2. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Forum Resident

Well, it is and it ain't. It is the unedited versions of what is one that one, with the four gigs from the Fillmore in full over four discs with a few bonus tracks. One of my favorite things in the Miles catalogue.

I like the 'original' too, but I think that ones is a different beast as Teo Macero edited the highlights of each night to make new compositions. Hence the name of each side of the album (on vinyl).

The set lists of the full gigs are 'pretty different', as the kids say...

Edit: but I see you already got yer answer :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Forum Resident

Bob Seger Greatest hits. Next up, Tom Petty.. probably with The Heartbreakers second record

4. budwhite

budwhite Forum Resident

Always liked that song

5. BurtThomasWard

Second listen to this one. Never heard it before yesterday and I cannot for the life of me understand why. Because I love it!

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  6. BurtThomasWard

Listening to the live set offa the 40th Anniversary of Bitches Brew. Tanglewood, August 18, 1970.

It is officially a mothertrucker. Spell that with a major 'F'.

Jarrett, Corea, Holland, DeJohnette, Moreira and Bartz all give major support but the Prince of Darkness hisself is ofc the baddest. Version of "Bitches Brew" blows (hah) the album one away.

7. BurtThomasWard

Hey, @budwhite : since you are the only cat 'round: listen to the version of "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down" found on this record if you can find it. It is the funkiest thing I've ever heard. Funk as in smelly, grubby, earthy, dirty, vital, spooky and not least etc.

I love that track as much as anything he ever did, but maaaaaaaaaan! This version...

:bigeek:

Crispy Rob likes this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Forum Resident

I'm on it if I find it on spotify. Just need to finish up some Springsteen first

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  9. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Diamond Dogs

10. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

A very popular one here:
    [​IMG]

11. BurtThomasWard

12. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

13. BurtThomasWard

[​IMG]

Do you like Costello, @Rne ?

14. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

I haven't listened enough to give an opinion, just a couple of songs I can't remember now, so I might as well say I've never listened to him.

15. BurtThomasWard

Well, at least you're honest ;)

A wild guess would be that the first 6-8 albums could be your thang, but there is only so much time and money one has to spend.

budwhite likes this.
  16. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

One of the main reasons why I haven't given a listen to many artists yet.

17. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

18. budwhite

budwhite Forum Resident

Just got my "new" used Technics sl-b3 (mid 80s) turntable connected. New needle and it's rocking good. My other player was just fine and has sentimental value because my uncle and dad had it before me (bought mid 70s). But there was some annoying rumble going on so I decided to get another one, and the Technics is quiet! Very satisfied as I only payed 550kr for it.

Zeppelin II is spinning today again because it sounds great and the music is awesome

19. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

I gotta get my ass in gear and get ready for work. Meantime, I'm listening to Alpha Mike Foxtrot/Wilco. I just ordered the Being There 5CD and A.M. Special Edition. I usually wait as long as I can on most purchases, but these ones is special, thread. :D

"I got a court date comin' this June, I'll be driving soon. Passenger side, passenger side,
    I don't like riding on the passenger side."

20. budwhite

budwhite Forum Resident

I'm also interested in those, especially Being There. But I'll wait until release before I decide

Led Zep I. Not as good sounding as II. Maybe the best debut rock n roll record ever

Crispy Rob, Erik B. and footlooseman like this.
  21. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

In my opinion, they're pretty similar soundwise. I prefer I because of sound and content. One of the best debut albums, indeed.

22. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Time for some Argentine rock with Seru Giran's Grasa de las capitales. It's not my intention to sound chauvinistic, because I ain't, but had this band (like many others from different part of the world, of course) been American or British, we would be discussing it in depth.

budwhite likes this.
  23. budwhite

budwhite Forum Resident

I finished Wilco's solid sound 2017 yesterday. Three great shows! My favorite was the second show. First gig had great songs but I'm not a big fan of playing albums in order... Third night was Tweedy. That was fun. Jeff is a funny guy. I would love to hit that festival next time!

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

"Miles Runs the Voodoo Down" has always been one of my faves, but I've always liked the studio version from the album better than any of the live versions I've heard. All of the live versions I've heard resemble the studio version in name only and the studio version just grooves so much harder. I haven't heard the live version that's in the 40th Anniversary set at Tivoli Concert Hall on 11/4/69, though.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

2019 Bud. We are there. Your take on those three shows is the same as mine. I'm not a big fan of album shows either. Conceptually it sounds like a good idea, but in practice.... unless it's the 'oo doing Tommy. "Captain Walker didn't come home, his unborn child will never know him..."

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.