Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Forum Resident

Coming back for more, eh? I thought you had learned yer lesson as of yesterday, but I was clearly mistaken. The gall of some peop...

;)

Yes, they are usually very different, but I do like 'em. Shameful as it is to admit this, I haven't yet found the time to watch the live dvd from Denmark or either of the ones from the Bootleg series. That is usually a problem 'round here. Dvd are cool enough but I have to be in the right mood or mode.

EDIT: I'll tell you in a hour. I put it on.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Crispy Rob likes this.
  2. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    More Argentine rock, now from 1970.

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

"Still The Same" came up on shuffle today. That's a good song. I don't know a lot about Bob Seger so I have nothing smart to say. Glenn Frey was in his band at one point.

Listening to "Money, Love and Change" from TAB at the TAB. He steals Petty's logo with the album cover. What the hey:
    [​IMG]

4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Do some of the bootleg series have DVDs? I only have the Vol. 3 one (Live at the Fillmore) that I believe you posted yesterday, which doesn't have any DVD. I have one Miles DVD containing Bitches Brew material, called A Different Kind of Blue, that contains the 8/23/70 Isle of Wight Festival performance but it's been a while since I watched it. I don't watch much DVD material either these days as any attempts to do so outside of regular school hours is most likely to result in the kids watching a Disney film instead.

5. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of the best Zappa releases. Period.

6. BurtThomasWard

The first two. On the first one you have two gigs, West Germany on 7 November 1967 and Sweden on 31 October 1967, and on vol. 2 there is another German one, recorded on 7 November 1969 at the Berliner Jazztage in the Berlin Philharmonie. I will try to finally watch them during the weekend.

All of these gigd were captured by the national broadcasting systems of various European countries because jazz was viewed as an artform over here. Sadly almost none of what is in the archives of the Norwegian one (NRK) have been released to date. The only exception that springs to mind is the rather fabulous Stax/Volt Review one from Oslo in 1967. That one is just wiiiild.

Which is more than I can say for the version of "Miles Runs..." from Denmark. Very mellow and tentative, IMO. But the gig is great and Shorter is awesome. Miles gets bonus points for the ugliest west/shirt combo I've seen thus far :D:D:D

Crispy Rob, adamos and dzhason like this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Forum Resident

Amazing show. Petty and The Heartbreakers were great curators of rock n roll.
    Just release this show already. I think it might blow a few people away. What a live band! And last but not least, Petty was a great singer and it really shows here with all different kinds of songs they played

mgb70, adamos and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Forum Resident

OH YEAH. The Stax/Volt Norway DVD is essential. One of the top 3 or 4 music DVDs in my collection.

BurtThomasWard and budwhite like this.
  9. BurtThomasWard

Seeing Otis at the peak of his powers is mindblowing and the MG's backing everybody up in such a brilliant way is almost unbelievable. Just wish that more Eddie Floyd footage had survived and that Carla Thomas was included.

Norwegian jazz maestro Terje Rypdal is in the audience with his singer girlfriend Inger Lise. Among the other various hepcats and semi-long hairs is also the woman that became the Minister of culture at a (much) later point, Åse Kleveland. It is a tiny country after all :D

10. budwhite

budwhite Forum Resident

11. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Not a fan of the music but the voice was amazing

Horrible that she died so young. Addiction takes way too many way too young:(

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

I always thought she was good, but I became a fan after her documentary and the fact that in it, Tony Bennett called her one of the all-time great jazz singers. Although I have a Tony record where he heaps praise on k.d. lang and I can't say I was ever a fan.

Major, major addiction and eating problems though. She wasn't built to last.

13. BurtThomasWard

There's only room for one Tom Waits in the world and his name is:

[​IMG]

14. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

I love the album and I loathe the mastering. Ain't it irritating when that happens?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  15. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

Tom ain't no copycat, of course. Very good album by the Cap.

16. BurtThomasWard

I fixed that for you, man :D

Naw, kidding aside, I get why people like Waits. I've just become bored to death with his whole theatrical schtick over the last decade or so. But saying that he didn't lift liberal amounts (or more) outta the Cap's bag of tricks would be, eh, strange. And the rest he took from Howlin' Wolf, the garbage man and Louis Armstrong.

17. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

Don took a lot from Howlin' Wolf first. It's a natural thing to pick up things from your idols.

bzfgt likes this.
  18. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

Yeah I think it adds up to something original enough, though. But I feel the same as you. I think he has written some really good songs, but his schtick in general isn't really my bag.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  19. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

He certainly did.

20. BurtThomasWard

But of course. That is what musical traditions are for.

When you steal from someone who's style is so idiosyncratic as Don van V, you sooner or later end up looking a bit foolish (like in every television interview where your wear small hats, fidget like you have some sort of condition or smoke your cigarettes in 'interesting ways'). Because Beefheart may have taken vocal mannerisms from the Wolf but Trout Mask Replica doesn't much resemble "Moain at Midnight" or "Wand Dang Doodle". Rain Dogs on the other hand, pretty much is a total Captain rip-off with added junkyard instruments and klezmer accordion.

Then again Waits is like the Beatles. One must never ever say anything against such a holy cow or else! :D

Sorry, but I've grown to detest Waits. Not really sorry, tho. Sorry!

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

Don Vliet's golden voice:

22. BurtThomasWard

He has. Even lots of them. The songs or the lyrics or even his aping after Beefy aren't what gets my goad, it is that tiny hat and the well-rehearsed eccentricities that after listening to the guy since '83 finally turned me into a h8er.

:sigh:

wavethatflag and bzfgt like this.
  23. BurtThomasWard

A thing of rare beauty :D

Then again he had his choirboy moments:

[​IMG]

wavethatflag, Rne and bzfgt like this.
  24. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

Don was very versatile and he could embrace many genres. I love his role as "normal" vocalist too.

wavethatflag and bzfgt like this.
  25. JNTEX

JNTEX Well-Known Member

test pressing of allman "Win Loose or Draw"

budwhite and notesofachord like this.