Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Awesome thread - this morning we have Can, Giant Sand, Replacements & the *great* Fred Anderson

You don't know how tickled I am that a few of you are aware of my guy, Fred:) I think I posted a few stories but if I have time I'll post a few more. One of my favorite stories is his and his humanity and sound will live with me forever. No one ever touched that *sound*. One horn - tenor saxophone. Played in one way pretty much with no notation for maybe the last 20-25 years. Almost better with age until possibly a slight decline the last year or two.

bzfgt, adamos and KeninDC like this.
  2. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

At least one of them.

And the problem with this forum is the same as all such fori: for the most (and certainly most vocal part) it is a bunch of old guys yattering on about the music they liked when they were 18. Hell, I can do that too with the best of them. But I like to find something new or at least a bit obscure from time to time. Hehe.

As much as I love the classic Stones albums (and Beatles, Kinks, Zep, ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC) I also have records from this year that I love and even a few that aren't either guitar- or male dominated. Or even rock, come to think of it...

I also find it strange that the important issue always seem to be of the technical variety. Is it well mastered? How is the new vinyl compared to the first pressing? Is the cd totally brickwalled or only 3/4ths? I know that it is an audiophile place and all that. But when you let stuff like that get in the way actually enjoying the music you have lost on so many levels.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    bzfgt, adamos, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I don't have any Stones albums, but I watched the Gimme Shelter doc a few nights ago (after Altamont was mentioned somewhere on the forum in reference to Mason's Children) and thought that I should probably pick some up.

4. BurtThomasWard

Of course you should.

Easy answer is Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St. Druggy, decadent and slightly Satanic in vibe. And you should perhaps see the movie Performance.

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and KeninDC like this.
  5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Sure, I mean back in the day when I listened mostly to rock music I was more of a Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Doors, and, later on, Yes and :eek: Beatles kind of dude. I just never got around to the Stones before I started listening to other types of stuff more frequently.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

A friend of mine calls these people "Hobbyists"

More prevalent with "jazz" fans - most of whom don't like current jazz or anything with even a hint of overblowing

bzfgt and BurtThomasWard like this.
  7. BurtThomasWard

OMG, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Then again, aren't we all? Thing with the Stones that alla those bands you mention there lack is that they in their heyday they were so much closer to the vibe of jazz and real blues. Maybe more than any white band have ever been that it isn't even funny. The grime, the danger and the strut, it's all there.

Even if the technical abilities are somewhat, eh, lacking :biglaugh:

Crispy Rob, budwhite and KeninDC like this.
  8. BurtThomasWard

Fear of music. Worst phobia there is. When you do not dare to ever have your own preconceptions challenged and your universe expanded in some way? Well, bon voyage. Same with the concept of guilty pleasures. If something is pleasurable to listen to, why should it make you feel guilt because other think you should? Then again, I am a hedonist so such thinking is very alien to me. Thankfully.

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I just got this one yesterday too along with the Fred Anderson, I had most of their albums but neither this one nor the first two, now I guess I only don't have the first two :D. Their drummer, John McEntire, also recorded the Fred Anderson & Hamid Drake album I posted above.

The Sea and Cake - The Fawn (Thrill039)

[​IMG]

10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Oh, I meant to ask, what's the best version to get of all of those Stones albums you mentioned before?

bzfgt and BurtThomasWard like this.
  11. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I don't think there is a better sounding Fred Anderson record than From the River to the Ocean - perhaps it's because on Thrill Jockey and John McEntire was involved - I tend to really enjoy the sound of many Thrill Jockey releases.

Live at the Velvet with Kowald & Drake is indeed a great one, too. I very well may have been at that show - i know I saw them perform as a unit before, but not sure if I was there the night this show was recorded.

I am not familiar with Black Horn Long Gone.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  12. BurtThomasWard

But of course, my friend. There' some pretty rad cassettes floatin' round. Late '80's CBS and of course the red labeled Decca for the first one. That is if you don't want to get riill hip and go for the 8 tracks.

bzfgt and dzhason like this.
  13. Dahabenzapple

Many of the "jazz" fans fear live music as it is not the same thing that is on their revered vinyl sides. Plus it isn't played by dead People who were ALL WAY better than the musicians who are playing today.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  14. BurtThomasWard

Everything was better in the olden days, that is one of the first things I learned when I joined my first forum some 12 years ago.

Yup, there you have another thing I find problematic in these parts of the wood: that a lot of people aren't able to make up their minds about artists and albums themselves but just regurgitate the same tired opinions about something that some critic or other laid down as the law before the internet came along. Skronk is bad. Rap is worse. Anything with a synthisizer is tantamount to treason. Sgt. Pepper and DSOTM are the two best albums ever... The list of gripes is almost endless but funnily enough also fairly limited. After a while you've heard any of these arguments so many times that you do not even react to them anymore.

Also the strange sort of judgement that are passed on people that like something that is considered uncool, that constantly cracks me up. People seem to think that you either have to be lying or ironic if you say you enjoy certain types of music. And if you like the wrong album (by the Beatles) or do NOT like certain artists, well, then you have no idea about what good music is and cannot be taken serious in any way. They forget that we all are strangers to each other on the interwebz and that music is supposed to be about freedom and enjoyment, not boundaries and perceived credibility.

Well, too bad. Their loss, all of this. May they all continue enjoying the 57 copies they have of Hotel California and hopefully they'll buy the new box set of that album as well, which is a rip-off scheme taken to some pretty wicked extremes when it comes to content :D:D:D

NB! Y'all have to excuse this rant and the syntax errors and horrible spelling of my last few posts. I was just enjoying cutting up some meat wih a sharpish knife and listening to Iggy and the Arctic Monkeys while typing with one hand.

15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

My worst fear is getting my kids to school late in the morning because then I have to go to the principal's office and have them fill out one of those little sheets of paper that say LATE on the top. To take my mind off of that I'm going to keep listening to the stuff I got in the mail from Thrill Jockey yesterday. When I was looking at the Fred Anderson last week, I noticed that there were two Chicago Underground discs on Thrill Jockey that I was still missing so I got those too. Although, now I've noticed on the forum that there appears to be some Chicago/London Underground releases that I have not heard yet, so just when I thought I had the bases covered :realmad:. Oh, and there is a Chicago Underground Orchestra album, that I believe predates the smaller CU groups, which I always considered to be the holy grail because I could never find it while record shopping, I still haven't heard it to this day... although, these days, thanks to Al Gore, I'm sure I could easily snag a copy.

Chicago Underground Trio - Slon

[​IMG]

I'll probably listen to some dead people later this afternoon at some point though. :agree:

16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Lucinda Williams: The Ghosts of Highway 20 Album Review | Pitchfork

Yes, the guitars are awesome on this great double album. Nice long songs. Just bass, guitars and drums.

wlove2372 and adamos like this.
  17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Gospel blues.

Lucinda Williams: The Ghosts of Highway 20

18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

No dead people yet this evening, well at least these people, fortunately, are not dead yet. One day they may be but I will still listen to them. @BurtThomasWard, since you dig on the Miles In Concert/OtC era stuff, you may wanna consider checking these folks out; while it doesn't necessarily sound like that Miles stuff, I feel like I can hear the influence of that Miles stuff informing what these guys are doing.

Isotope 217 - The Unstable Molecule (Thrill Jockey, LP)

[​IMG]

hyde park and BurtThomasWard like this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

Maybe the Dead People I like to listen to the most (besides Jerry, of course:)) are Dead People I saw when they were Alive!

Easily my favorites from that category is the thankfully much discussed Fred Anderson and my all-time favorite musician, the late, great Papa Joe Maneri. Me thinks I dig up my namesake this weekend and play the three great long tracks all the way through.

Even the names of his free form pieces are often wondrous.

Comparable to the greatest namer of instrumental pieces ever, one Thelonious Monk.

footlooseman, adamos and dzhason like this.
  20. BurtThomasWard

Australia. Where men are men and women and sheep are indeed terrified. Released on Vertigo back in 1974 and so obnoxious and blunt that Sabbath sounds like the BeeGees in comparison:

[​IMG]

Fullbug and bzfgt like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I caught the 2/1/97 show that run, and it was fantastic. We had Roger McGuinn open and then join the band rather than John Lee Hooker. Bo Diddley did the same at the '99 TP&H Fillmore show that I caught - was fantastic to have a chance to see him in person, he was great that night.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I didn't know it existed. I have to track that down.

budwhite and BurtThomasWard like this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

If on CD, for Sticky Fingers and Exile the 1990s Virgins are much better than the later deluxe edition, which is horribly mastered but does have some good bonus discs. I haven't heard the 1980s masterings, though, but am very happy with those. The 2002 mastering of Let It Bleed is the one to get - the Arco period 1960s-1970 is served well by the 2002s.

On vinyl, the latest reissues of the 1971 and later albums are from the same brickwalled digital masters as the CDs. Avoid. The latest Arco period vinyl reissues are awesome, though. [Well, I think they are the latest stereo ones, I picked up the Arco period vinyl reissue of the stereo versions in 2009 or 2010. I haven't heard the mono reissues, but wasn't thinking of them since Let It Bleed doesn't have a mono version anyway.]

24. BurtThomasWard

Well, the one in the box set is supposed to be a fold down. And even if it is just that, it sounds really powerful :agree:

You should really give that box set a listen, man. Best Stones related product in a billion years (or at least since the Marquee dvd).

KeninDC likes this.
  25. BurtThomasWard

[​IMG]

Have you heard "Guitar Army" by the Rationals? If 'no', push play. If 'yes', push play