Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Liudas Mockunas: soprano, tenor & bass saxophones
    Rafal Mazur: acoustic bass guitar
    Raymond Strid: Drums, percussion

Live at Divadlo 29

Recorded live in 2012 in the Czech Republic at Divadlo 29 Theatre

on Not Two records

First listen and first exposure to the saxophonist. Extraordinary performance right down my sweet spot. I’ve always thought Strid is one of the great drummers for this sort of fully abstract improvisation and he sounds great here. Only quibble is the CD is under 40 minutes - about 38-39 minutes - I want to hear much much more from the trio.

ianuaditis and adamos like this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Billy The Mountain! I love how they rag on CSN&Y in that one, even though I like CSN&Y.

adamos and Rne like this.
  4. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

The last few minutes from the final 10:42 piece is among the best sequences of improvisation I’ve ever heard.

Probably why I keep listening to various improvising musicians I’m not familiar with. I trust in certain labels who present these musicians and their music. Not Two is one of those labels.

adamos likes this.
  5. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

6. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Yes! And it certainly makes an impression, especially first thing on a Sunday morning.

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Had front row seats to the Robert Cray Band last night. Great show. This is probably the 8th or 9th time I have seen him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

samthesham, JNTEX, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  9. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Rift is my favorite of their studio albums, probably followed by Junta. But I think Billy Breathes is up on the list too.

notesofachord, Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Front row, nice! I've only seen him once but really enjoyed it. It was at a street festival in the late 90's. The stage was right by the two-story building where our office was so a group of us watched from the rooftop. I'd forgotten about that.

11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

he's very underrated. Played to maybe 500 people ? should be playing to many many more.

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Wow, man he still looks fairly young there. This agist better get him some Robert Cray tickets. I actually only ever had the album with "Smoking Gun" on it, and then like three years ago I got Midnight Stroll, and then sometime before that, a live one, Authorized Bootleg - Robert Cray - Live, Outdoor Concert, Austin, Texas - May 25, 1987 and yes, I believe that's the actual name of the album.

JNTEX, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Those are great records .

He is 64 years old.

JNTEX likes this.
  14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Monday morning, need something instrumental.

I was watching Planet Earth II over the weekend. Simply amazing. I'm glad that Mr Attenborough is still with us, he's no spring chicken at 91, but he does great work as always.

Hans Zimmer writes some really good themes, but it's often to bombastic(Inception) and loud.
    A bit more laid back on this set thankfully. Some room to breath

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    adamos, Erik B. and notesofachord like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Made a bit of progress on my slow slog through the big Dylan Cutting Edge box. Many very different takes of It Takes a Lot to Laugh..., and many fairly similar but interestingly different takes of Tombstone Blues and Positively 4th Street tonight. Now finishing off the weekend with what has become my favorite album by this band, The Notorious Byrd Brothers.

16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Gustav Mahler's 5th symphony.

Conducted by John Barbirolli, with the new Philharmonia Orchestra. Magnificent piece of music!

rockinlazys likes this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

18. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Call Any Vegetable!!!

wavethatflag and adamos like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

One of my favorite FZ live releases, the best one from the Flo & Eddie era. I the whole soundborad recording was released, mainly to have the complete "Billy The Mountain", solos and all.

adamos likes this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    The first 100% instrumental album by Frank. Released without his permission, but compiled by the master himself. Remarkable record.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That creature reminds me a bit of the invisible monster from Jonny Quest:
    [​IMG]

rockinlazys, wavethatflag and adamos like this.
  22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I added it to my listening to-do list after you'd recommended it a while back. Roxy & Elsewhere will be next up.

I've also been enjoying One Size Fits All which @wavethatflag had recommended (along with you and some others).

Crispy Rob, wavethatflag and Rne like this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The forum works! :D
    Roxy & Elsewhere is a completely different things. The humor is still there, but the music is some light years ahead. Another absolute favorite of mine.
    One Size Fits All is usually recommended here (and I could bet it also applies to other forums) as the best starting point to enter the world of FZ. I can't tell, it was not my first Zappa album, but it sure is bleeding great.

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Some more from Frank. The cover looks like a bootleg but it's just Ahmet Zappa not wanting to spend much on art design.

johnnypaddock, adamos and Crispy Rob like this.
  25. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power