Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I really should break down and buy that one - I've been resisting since between the original release and the 1990s expanded one I own 4 copies of that album in one form or format or another.

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Playing it to celebrate that the whole run of shows is coming officially on February! :goodie:

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

One selling point for me was the 5.1 mixes, but that's more like a bonus really. I listen to most music in stereo anyway. But it's nice to be able to choose between different mixes.

I had the LP and the deluxe CD before, so third time was the charm.
    I think that you can find it pretty cheap. If so, totally worth it!
    And I very much like the blu-ray's. Very convienent with longer playing time and easy to switch between mixes with the audio button

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  4. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Well shut my mouth! I just posted last week this would never happen. I am so freakin' happy I was wrong!!!

Rne likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm truly happy you were wrong :D I didn't think it was going to happen so soon. Really thrilling.

6. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I've been meaning to check this out too. I also held off due to having other versions, and to some extent because of the repetition. But it does look appealing.

7. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I have a pretty ambitiously-long queue of albums lined up today in my Google Play, after I listen to a bit of GoGD -- and some GnR for the UYI song by song thread. It includes Phil Collins, Roger Waters, Todd Rundgren, Fleetwood Mac, Matthew Sweet, and more.

Of course, it's always possible I'll change my mind in and hour and play Slayer or something. . .

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

So, in other words, I have to re-purchase everything I already have (including duplicates) to get the rest?

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

These are 2016 mixes, if it makes you feel better.

Archtop likes this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Nice. I don't have a 5.1 set up, so that is not a selling point, but having the complete run is one, certainly.

budwhite likes this.
  11. Scopitone

[​IMG]

"In the Air Tonight" is a helluva track to come onto after "Don't Damn Me" and a bunch of other GnR. :laugh:

Even just with the streaming version, this is a good headphone song. Lots of things going on in the mix.

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I like how he reshot all his covers with his current face for the reissues. 80s pop, a lot of it, but I have a soft spot for Phil.

BurtThomasWard and Scopitone like this.
  13. Scopitone

Ha! I didn't even think about the change in pic. I think it's a better image, even if a bit disingenuous. (Nothing beats Creatures of the Night, though - which originally has Ace Frehley even though IIRC he was gone by the time the album was finished. The reissue has Bruce Kulick, who was not in the band at the time COTN was recorded. Wonder if the Kulick image was in part an F.U. to Vinnie Vincent?)

Face Value is very listenable, with some lovely production and great songs. A bit of cheese here and there - I could do without Tomorrow Never Knows, esp with Over the Rainbow at the end. It's taken me a lot of years to admit I can enjoy Phil Collins records. :oops:

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. Scopitone

Now Streaming:

[​IMG]

ETA: There is some lovely guitar work on this album. Not a surprise -- and probably understatement of the day.

But still. It's good.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Crispy Rob, adamos, Rne and 1 other person like this.
  15. wavethatflag

Phil was a guilty pleasure for me in the 80s but now I'm out of the closet. I like the Tomorrow Never Knows cover. I was blasting "I Don't Care Anymore" a few nights ago.

notesofachord and Scopitone like this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I think that was a great idea.
    I'm not interested in his music, but I love his drumming, particularly with Genesis, and also with Brand X. And besides that, he seems to be such a nice man!

BurtThomasWard and wavethatflag like this.
  17. Scopitone

One night when I was a lad (based on where we lived, it could have been no later than 5th grade and probably a little younger), we had a disastrous teen babysitter. She invited some other girl over, and they spent the night blasting that "No fun being an illegal alien" song over and over, singing along.

These days, I don't worry too much about "guilty pleasures", unless it's some catchy single by a teenybopper chick or something like that. There's just music you like, music you don't like, and music you haven't heard yet. (and music you need to hear again because you've changed over the years, which is a subcategory):D

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I absolutely love this one. It shows how vital David was to the Floyd sound (another non-surprising detail).

19. wavethatflag

In my opinion, not one of Genesis' best moments. :D

Crispy Rob and Scopitone like this.
  20. Scopitone

Now Streaming:

[​IMG]

21. Scopitone

Wow, three tracks in, Amused to Death feels like quite a dark record. It also feels like an album that deserves more attention and focus than I am giving it right now.

22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

John William Gordon mental jazz guitar

[​IMG]

Scopitone likes this.
  23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

24. Scopitone

I am guessing that venue is 20 min from my apartment.

But when it I looked into it last year or the year before, by the time you factored in parking and incidentals, it was just more money than I wanted to spend on a show.

25. Scopitone