Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne While my balalaika gently sobs.

[​IMG]
    Listen Now, by 801.

2. Rne

I liked it, not as much as una clásica Coca helada, of course, but it was nice.
    Wasn't this a music forum? :D

Erik B. likes this.
  3. notesofachord

notesofachord Forum Resident

At least we haven't gone off on a sports and/or beer tangent in quite a while.

rockinlazys and Erik B. like this.
  4. Erik B.

Erik B. Senior Member

speaking of which I still have a six pack or so of Ballast Point Grapefruit/Pineapple Sculpin in my fridge

:thumbsup:

maui jim, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  5. Erik B.

Erik B. Senior Member

If I posted that I was listening to Phish YEMSG couch tour, would that qualify for this thread ?

Crispy Rob, johnnypaddock and adamos like this.
  6. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

7. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So I just spent the evening watching the Ole Ole Ole documentary and the last 2 hours standing up with my acoustic guitar playing along as I watched the Rolling Stones Havana Moon show.

Holy crap that was a great gig! And as a major music dvd viewer, that was the best concert video I've seen in ages.

The direction, or whatever you would call it, was perfect. I was dreading it being a "crowd shot hell" but it wasn't at all. Just the occasional nice insertion.

Also, the rapid-cut editing that ruined Paul McCartney's The Space Within Us was totally absent! What a breath of fresh air!

In threads on this board I've given the band crap for the "stale" setlists on the last few tours, but dang I put my foot in my mouth because the performance was so enjoyable I can't criticize the show based on just the setlist.

My ONLY complaint is that FIVE songs are cut from the show for no reason at all and relegated to the Bonus Songs menu. WTF?

I just skipped back and forth between the main menu and the concert and watched it in order. Screw that noise.

Really, I can't help but wish Havana Moon and Ole Ole Ole were a 2 disc set together. The show on one disc, the documentary on the other. They are "linked" and there's no reason to have one without the other. The whole "story arc" of Ole Ole Ole is about the tour leading up the the grand finale in Havana! Missed opportunity for sure.

Other than that, this was definitely the best Stones dvd I've watched in a long time. Small-if valid- complaints that matter that much less when you realize how choice the contents are. Just fantastic.

Also, Sasha Allen.... :love::love::love:

8. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

9. Erik B.

Erik B. Senior Member

10. Rne

[​IMG]
    Such a great jazz fusion band.

Jim Walker, warewolf95 and KDubATX like this.
  11. Rne

[​IMG]
    A bit of jazz-rock, a bit of pop-rock. It works fine with me.

12. Rne

[​IMG]
    Selected numbers from this splendid box set.

notesofachord and adamos like this.
  13. Rne

[​IMG]
    Another great one.

Jim Walker and warewolf95 like this.
  14. Lambert75

Lambert75 Active Member

I pulled this one out after a long hiberation just the other day. I recently got vinyl "Comes a Time" and figuring out "Look out for my Love" on guitar. Dug into Unplugged for that version. Ended up playing whole disc couple times.

15. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke

You just gotta believe it and it is true. Nobody trusts doctors these days anyway and everybody on the net is an expert.

I will say that coke is marginally better for the teeth than Coke, tho. In correct amounts.

Erik B. and warewolf95 like this.
  16. BurtThomasWard

I've been a bad likkul bwoy all year and still this one came today. No add' import tax because they effed up or anything so I 'saved' around 60 USD.

ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE SOUND QUALITY, BEAUTIFUL MUSIC
    . So worth it.

[​IMG]

17. Rne

The Beat Club recording sounds ok, and the other soundboard (11/13/72) is saturated, but acceptable. The rest goes from poor to very poor. Fortunately, the audience was generally interested in music and kept quiet. But, one more time for the world, the level of playing make up for the sound quality.
    If you have the time, download the bonus show from the Rainbow and listen to a minute of it (or even less). That one's far beyond poor in terms of sound quality.

warewolf95 and BurtThomasWard like this.
  18. BurtThomasWard

Yeah, I think you mentioned that one the last time we spoke of this. Cannot say that I'm exactly yearning to hear that one minute (or less), to be honest :D

I'm only on the second disc of the Zoom Club gig so far and it takes a few songs for the ears to adjust but after a while I didn't really care because the playing is out of this world. The Beat Club stuff is the same that was available as bonus visual material on one remastered dvd/audio set, right?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Crispy Rob and Rne like this.
  19. Rne

The Zoom Club gig is indeed out of this world. Once you get adjusted to lo-fi, it becomes a transcendent musical experience.
    Yes, the Beat Club footage is available on the cd/dvd set too. Muir steals the show, of course :laugh:.

warewolf95 and BurtThomasWard like this.
  20. BurtThomasWard

What a crazy dude :love:

Yup, that long improv at the end of the first disc is one of the most mindblowin' bits of music I've ever heard. It is beyond words... Wetton and Bruford is heavier than any metal and so much funkier and more slippery. Cross and Fripp weren't slouches either. All these boxes are the best money I've spent all year.

Crispy Rob and Rne like this.
  21. Rne

22. BurtThomasWard

It is pretty good. But I think the show captured on Sweet Summer Sun is much better. And I thought the young(er) Lisa Fischer was so much hotter (though not cuter) than Sasha. But, to each his own, etc.

Crispy Rob, hyde park and warewolf95 like this.
  23. BurtThomasWard

Other than that, I watched the Mr Dynamite documentary a couple of days ago and dug out these two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

hard to believe thats almost twenty five years old!!

25. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Youre not wrong about Lisa! Voodoo Lounge era was good stuff. ;)