Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

pics

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

3. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Seattle was $9.99, London and Milan were $12.99 and Katowice was $15.

Erik B. and ducksdeluxe like this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Great band but I am just listening to this one song right now. Got to get up to get free:

5. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I deleted my photobucket account. I'll need to get something new.

Erik B. likes this.
  6. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Swampy Ohio electric blues by guys at least 10 years younger than me. Do you know the Ohio blues? I don't either. I like this album though.
    [​IMG]

KeninDC, Crispy Rob, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  8. wavethatflag

"...featuring the new trumpet sensation, Clifford Brown."
    [​IMG]

9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

That's the first JB CD I ever bought. Did it make me a fan? Um, I now have ~ 35 JB CDs and a few LPs. So, yeah...

:thumbsup:

10. wavethatflag

I just read that this is mono on discogs. I'd never even thought about it before, and have listened to it many times over the years. It's a rip from the pre RVG edition CD.

Erik B. likes this.
  11. notesofachord

6/16/00 Katowice, Poland is the only "official bootleg" PJ release I own. It's great. I probably should grab a few more. Then again, I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan (even though I have all of their albums through Binaural plus the avocado one).

12. notesofachord

The Black Keys are one of those bands that are hard to hate, but hard to get too excited about at the same time. I mean, their music is catchy, creative, accessible, well-performed and written, and yet - it all feels a little too "safe" if that makes any sense.

13. wavethatflag

I can think of two people off the top of my head that have said as much. I really like the first four albums. To me, the bigger they got, the more pedestrian they got. And once they started adding musicians on tours, that killed it a bit for me. The first time I saw them was one of the smaller stages at an outdoor festival, I was probably 20 feet from Dan Auerbach, and they were great. The next time I saw them was on the Catch & Release tour (that album is just OK, I think) at the Fox in Oakland, and, man, how two guys filled so much space, I still can't figure out. Yet, when they played the main stage at Outside Lands, just the two of them, they still had it.

I don't have a lot of interest in seeing them in an NBA-sized arena, but maybe they still rock it. The probably do. It's just that the albums they were releasing when they started playing arenas were sort of boring. I still bought them. Turn Blue was a yawner. I've only listened to it twice. I should try again.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  14. notesofachord

Rubber Factory is the bomb! Of the newer albums, I'd say that El Camino is my favorite. The hard-rock/glam thing worked pretty good on that one.

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I haven't seen The Black Keys but started listen in 2005-06. But now it's probably been 4-5 years since I had them on steady rotation

El Camino was the last one I really liked

Erik B. likes this.
  16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

great deal. Enjoy.

My thing with those PJ boots is as follows:

I absolutely loved PJ when I first heard Alive in 1992-ish ? Pretty much bought all their albums upon release up through Vitalogy. Then they sort of fell out of favor with me. Fast forward to 2000 with the single of Nothing As It Seems and especially those damn 2000 Official boots. I remember buying them in Best Buy. I've been huge(r) fan ever since. (and I know. Yield/No Code/Binaural is just about as strong as any other bands three album run)

adamos and budwhite like this.
  17. notesofachord

No Code and Vitalogy are probably my top two, although I'd also say that Ten is deservedly considered a modern classic and Binaural is severely underrated.

johnnypaddock, Erik B. and adamos like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Pretenders self-titled, MoFi SACD. I've always liked them, but hadn't picked up any of their albums until these MoFi releases came out a few years ago and I've been really enjoying them. The positive side of being late to the game is that unlike so many other albums I probably won't wind up buying multiple versions. Oh, wait, there are other versions out there with bonus tracks, you say? Be right back...

19. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Anything you'd recommend?

Michael likes this.
  20. BurtThomasWard

Funny, I was thinking about playing the first couple of albums because James Honeyman Scott was so utterly brilliant and maybe The Last of the Independents later. The last one of those is of course uneven, but "Night in My Veins" is one of Chrissie's sexiest little numbers. And that is really sayin' something.

21. BurtThomasWard

The first thing I ever bought from mr. Dynamite was the Startime box when it was released. In fact, that was probably my first or second box set ever. I mostly have live- and archives albums, tho. Only 23 by the last count :shake:

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. BurtThomasWard

It was the first album of theirs I ever heard, so that probably has something to do with it. Things get extra magical when you have little or no experience in that particular field, I was a prog virgin when I was 11, you see.

Rne likes this.
  23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Merle Haggard 1962-94. Great box set. 100 songs. Superb songwriter!

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

My first Genesis album was Nursery Cryme. I was not a prog virgin, but it was also a magical experience.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Listening to the half-an-hour-long "King Kong" from disc two. Simply delightful.