Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

That is a fair point, but my friend runs his store by himself and cash flow is a problem, so I like to help him out.

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I actually haven't heard the Howlin' Rain stuff but love Heron and Comets on Fire.

Just listened to the used vinyl (in great shape) copy of Blows Against the Empire I scored last weekend. Almost forgot how great that album is, especially Have You Seen the Stars Tonight with Garcia's pedal steel work.

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

My listening tends to follow threads these days.
    [​IMG]

Erik B. and notesofachord like this.
  4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Running a business such as this is a noble endeavor and I try to support my local record stores when I can. I also think that it's great that you are willing to help a friend out (and the Beatles Mono box is highly overrated; give me stereo all day long for most tracks, although mono is good for some early material).

But I do get the feeling that they often gouge sellers and buyers (not saying that your friend does, just generally observing) - you bring in some decent LPs and they offer you $2-3 each and then mark them at $12-18. I understand that rent/lease and employees cost money, but it seems very disproportionate to reality. A 40% margin is very good; what I've observed in the record store industry seems more like 80% margin (I'm just estimating; I can't really know the numbers). I suppose it's a small volume income generator, so one needs to maximize. But I would bring hundreds of fairly clean LPs into the local market if the return weren't so horrible.

BurtThomasWard and budwhite like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Bowie's Pinups. Who ever thought a covers album could be so essential? Sadly, not me, until a couple years ago.

As for the Beatles, mono is essential for at least everything up until Rubber Soul (and the mono box version of Rubber Soul is also essential for the original stereo mix), and the mastering is way better. For everything from Rubber Soul through the White Album, I would probably lean toward the stereo mix as a whole but some individual cuts are better in mono (check out the additional guitar lines in I'm Only Sleeping) and Sgt. Pepper's is a very different experience in mono and I probably would prefer it had I not grown up on the stereo mix, probably have listened to that mix of that album more often than any other album in my life, considering it and Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme were the only rock or pop records in the house when I was a kid.

With your long blonde hair and your eyes of blue... (making the Pinups/Beatles connection there).

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Todd Rundrgren's A Wizard, A True Star, the new SACD version mastered by Kevin Gray. There is only so much that apparently could be done with the master tapes here, apparently, but even so, it's still like the fun house mirror that is this album suddenly is now in hi-def. An acquired taste, perhaps, but one of my favorite albums at this point.

7. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

I will go as far as saying it is the Best.

8. BurtThomasWard

But of course. And he gets all the credit in some quarters for the whole Motown thang. It was his label and respect is due, but he wouldn't be nuffin without all of his little 'helpers'.

9. BurtThomasWard

Would you recommend 'em to this old horse as well? :p

I got the Audio Fidelity gold disc thingamajig of the debut and a few track from the second on a compilation (did not enjoy the Hagar-less tracks that much). It all depends on the bonus material really and perhaps I can also pretend that the mastering is very important to me, this bein' the HOF n all.

budwhite likes this.
  10. BurtThomasWard

On topic, I'm watching this. Some of it is playback but it is still cool to see Tull do their best song ever and such:

01. The Nice - America (1968)
    02. Moody Blues - Question (1970)
    03. Jethro Tull - Witches Promise (1970)
    04. Wishbone Ash - Vas Dis (1971)
    05. Atomic Rooster - Tomorrow Night (1971)
    06. Family - In My Own Time (1971)
    07. Yes - Yours Is No Disgrace (1973)
    08. ELP - Pictures At An Exhibition (1972)
    09. Soft Machine - Fanfare All White (1973)
    10. Caravan - The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again (1974)
    11. Genesis - I Know What I Like (1974)
    12. King Crimson - Frame By Frame (1982)

11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I listened to a HR song here or there but it didn't make much of an impression. Comets on Fire is killer though.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Deep Whole

Paul Dunmall: tenor & soprano saxophones
    Paul Rogers: 7 string bass
    Mark Sanders: Drums

Recorded on my birthday but 46 years late: 4/25/2006

3 grand masters at their relaxed best.

On FMR Records

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Tom Petty - Wildflowers [1994]

14. wavethatflag

The loudness wars have been really getting to me lately. All the recent R.E.M. anniversary releases, at least the CDs, blech. For shame, R.E.M., for shame. I point at you disapprovingly.

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I always go for non-remastered used when I can. They are generally cheaper and sound better. Of course, you don't get the extra tracks . . .

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  16. budwhite

Wake up time is one of the best songs to ever end a record. I'm a sucker for good strings and this song just kills it. Beautiful. A masterpiece

Crispy Rob, DrLunchbox and adamos like this.
  17. wavethatflag

I kept my old R.E.M. CDs, but years ago I used to automatically get rid of the old one for the new remaster, if I bought it. I hadn't been Hoffmanized at that point.

Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  18. budwhite

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Live anthology 1978-2007.

Interview: Tom Petty On The Live Anthology Box Set

It's very convienent. 62 tracks on one disc, Stereo and 5.1 mixes in high rez. Instead of 5 CDs, no surround and no high rez. Blu-ray was/is great for movies obviously, but also amazing for live music

19. wavethatflag

20. BurtThomasWard

[​IMG]

Mournful, slow and very heavy. Also pretty and melodic. Somewhere between My Bloody Valentine, early '80's the Cure and the most Sabbath-y St-Vitus.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  21. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Thank you for posting this. The recession whittled my REM collection down to a precious three (Fables, LRP, Automatic). I was on the verge of dipping back into their catalog. Now I won't; I'll just surf around for some used titles.

The ABB A&R Studios release sounds SO GOOD; it and the Atlanta Popfest release are my 2 favs.

The live material is pre-FM. If you have a $50,000 rig the SQ may not be to your liking. But I'm a bit subjective with these guys because they were a early part of my exposure to hard rock. Post-Sammy, however, does not interest me.

Mournful? With a name like Pallbearer that's not surprising.

22. budwhite

I can't remember if I ever heard any live Montrose but I'll look into it :thumbsup:

23. BurtThomasWard

Yeah, ain't it a kicker? :D

Even if I had one of those, the music is my main concern. I think I'll just order the pair of 'em and be done with it.

ducksdeluxe likes this.
  24. wavethatflag

Next time I see the recession, I'll punch it straight in the face for you, that macroeconomic jerk. [Censored political tirade of several paragraphs, with citations.]

Fables and Automatic? Oh, I see, you're one of those R.E.M. fans. No, no, just kidding. It took me years to get around to sort of liking Automatic. When it came out, I got mad at the band. I don't think they noticed though. The only track I liked is Ignoreland, which is a political tirade, but that's not why I liked it. I liked it because it approached rock and roll.

I'll have to get Atlanta Popfest. I just put it in my discogs shopping cart. It'll sit there for a while though.
    [​IMG]
    Was anyone else beset with this haircut as a kid? I wasn't even given a choice!

25. BurtThomasWard

[​IMG]

Highly political, wickedly funny and just as evil and darkly psychedelic. Bad trips ahead! Kinda like an update of the best Dead Kennedys records.