Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It was a package deal kinda thing. REM, Springsteen&ESB with Fogerty as a guest. Vote for change tour Oktober 2004

Crispy Rob likes this.
  2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Gerry Hemingway Quintet: Demon Chaser

Hemingway on drums
    Michael Moore: alto saxophone & clarinets
    Ernst Reijseger: cello
    Wolter Wierbos: trombone
    Mark Dresser: double bass

On hatology

Recorded live 3/2/93

Best jazz band of the 90’s - there are 4-5 great recordings from this era with all kinds of various great Hemingway compositions. (With some covers here and there / we have an over the top Night in Tunisia here). This amazing dynamic recording or suite based “The Marmalade King” might be the best of them all. Hard to overstate the level of musicianship in this band. Kind of unmatched in my listening history.

Seeing the great drummer live in February 9th with BassDrumBone @ Cornelia Street Cafe. Rare NYC appearance as he resides in Europe these days.

ianuaditis and adamos like this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Another album sometimes consider a low point. I like it a lot.

rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

5. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

A little light music, then...

[​IMG]

ianuaditis, warewolf95 and bzfgt like this.
  6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Taking a break from GD, today it's been some primo thrash and death metal:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  7. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Even more excellent thrash

[​IMG]

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

9. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Good to meet a fellow Deathrow fan.

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Winding down a Sunday evening.

[​IMG]

11. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I finally picked up the 2-CD Dylan BS 13 (couldn't justify the larger set since Dylan's vocal delivery isn't what I prefer during this period. But the bands are red hot). And halfway through Slow Train, I'm thinking that I should have splurged for the deluxe set. I would add that the hub grip on these CDs is brutal.

I also picked up the Monk/Coltrane at Carnegie Hall CD today. Life is good.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Monk/Coltrane Carnegie Hall CD is one of the best archival finds of the past decade or so (I am getting old enough that it probably came out 10 years ago but feels like 2 or 3). I'm listening to Utopia's Swing to the Right. Sadly, more timely now than it's been since the Raygun era.

rockinlazys, Archtop and Rne like this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Big Star, Disc 3 of the excellent sounding Omnivore Complete Third set - which is the released masters of the Third/Sister Lovers album. Better sounding than the Ryko version from the very early 1990s, but I am still used to the Ryko track order, which is really different, so it's still a bit disconcerting. This order might actually have a better flow. Maybe. So weird for such an important album, both to me and to musical history in general, to really have no definitive track listing or order... but in some ways, that seems very appropriate for this album. Never could be any other way, to quote another band.

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I clearly remember picking it up when it was released in 2005 (almost 13 years!). I was starting to buy cd's again after some years of dire financial straits. It's a beautiful recording by all means.

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've been listening to Lou Reed's Rock N' Roll Animal again. It's an excellent album, but I can't help wondering if Reed didn't get bored during the instrumental parts or if he didn't miss his guitar. Maybe he was far too stoned to take notice, who knows. Anyway, great album.

warewolf95, ducksdeluxe and budwhite like this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    More Lou Reed. Pleasing to the ear.

JNTEX and warewolf95 like this.
  17. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

XTC - Skylarking (Corrected Polarity Edition).

No photograph because I'm really not a fan of that cover and it may violate terms of service here anyway.

I'm not going to pretend to understand the nuances of a reverse polarity, other than this version sounds better to my ears than the original did the last time I listened to it a few years ago. Have the recent documentary on my DVR that I need to watch soon.

rockinlazys likes this.
  18. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Wire Chairs Missing

notesofachord and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Silver Apples

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Erik B. and bzfgt like this.
  20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

GBV Under the Bushes Under the Stars

rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Their best album.

rockinlazys and notesofachord like this.
  22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

[​IMG]
    I'm Moanin' because I spent too much money on Dead & Co. tickets today. But we're in the pit at Dodger Stadium! But Jerry still won't be there.

This is how it happened. I did all the Ticketbastard pre-registration b.s., because TB I guess was saving me from scalpers (but who will save me from TB?) Anyhow, the first tickets I got were to the right of home plate, in the lower stands. 100+ bucks a piece. But then I messed up, and somehow I had four tickets in my cart at checkout. Actually, they messed up, because there were two ticket selection dropdowns on the page for some reason, what with all the credit card pre-sale b.s. offers and whatever. So I had $500 of tickets in my cart, and there was no way to change the quantity.

So, I started over, and got 2 pits. I won't even tell you how much they are because it's so egregious and stupid and wrong, but whatever, I'm complicit at this point.

But I've never been to Dodger Stadium, and we is way up front.:Do_O*

*Official smiley of Dead & Bro.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

got section 101 for Chula Vista. Close to 200 bucks for one ticket with the special 3d hologram print. I should have just done the lawn and called it a day. Oh well. . . you can't take it with you.

24. wavethatflag

I did "best available" and got the hologram tickets the first time. My pit tickets are just normal. Hey, at least your ticket is a full-fledged souvenir.

If I hit one of the Shoreline shows, it will be lawn.

budwhite, Archtop and Erik B. like this.
  25. wavethatflag