Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

William Onyeabor - Crashes In Love
    Luaka Bop LP reissue of this 1977 album

[​IMG]

rockinlazys and notesofachord like this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Great album!

3. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Rodrigo Amado Motion Trio

2009 recording on European Echoes

Very strong with Amado 100% on tenor saxophone

4. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

The Night Watch is incredible. Another one I like is USA. It was released in
    the the mid-70's and got a deluxe treatment later. I have that one and like it
    quite a bit.

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob, Rne and 3 others like this.
  5. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

I always prefered Live in Europe. Mainly because of "Going to My Hometown", I think. That one just rocks way more than it is supposed to do with a mandolin. As for the live stuff, those Rockpalast dvds have been played around here about a gazillion times, but I'm unsure if they ever were available in the Americas.

However, I find much enjoyment in Irish Tour as well. Particularly the songs from Blueprint and Tattoo sound so much better i a live setting.

DrLunchbox and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. BurtThomasWard

It is great and highly recommended, of course.

But even better, you should go crazy and just spring for The Road to Red box set. It would solve your problems for a while ;)

Edit: didn't read the thread. Well, what archie said. And you really need the other two big early box sets, as well.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  7. BurtThomasWard

And The Night Watch too. The only problm with all of these 1 and 2 disc releases is that it just isn't enough. For a band that pretty much stuck to the same set list every night (which was the thing that kept me from buying the bigger ones for a long time) they NEVER EVER play them the same way. It is kinda like the Dead only that it is not. Hahahaha.

ianuaditis and adamos like this.
  8. BurtThomasWard

Well, thanks to this forhufsede forum and a few good men, I put on discs 2 n 3 off R2R box, a pretty exemplary gig from the Stanley Theatre, Pittsburg, PA. @adamos you need this in your life. Just sayin'.

Rne, Archtop and adamos like this.
  9. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I can see those boxes in my future, may just take a little while to get there...or one day I’ll just say screw it and hit the buy button. :)

Rne and BurtThomasWard like this.
  10. BurtThomasWard

Well, before November last year, I would have said that the live recordings I had (Great Deceiver, The Night Watch and a few more) was more than enough. And then one day I just went for it.

If you are going to stay on the safe side, I'd recommend the set from the Summit in 1972, as well. Different line-up and different, but in its own little way just as special.

Rne and adamos like this.
  11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Get The Great Deceiver. Now. The big boxes can wait. Bask in the five hours of glorious music on the smaller box!

12. BurtThomasWard

Well, but not for long. 7000 each worldwide and a few of 'em are really getting harder to come by.

Other than that, great suggestion. TGG is staggering.

adamos likes this.
  13. notesofachord

Just a heads up - the online store Insound, which is a discount store for one of the majors, is having a weekend vinyl sale (55% off!!) that ends Sunday night. Circles Around the Sun: Interludes for The Dead in its 2LP incarnation is only $15.74. If any of you spin wax, you may want to jump on that deal. In comparison, the price on Amazon is $34.98.

According to Discogs its a RSD release, limited to 5000 copies. The downside is that it only has a little over 80 minutes on music on it, whereas the 2CD version has over 150 minutes on it. So, stick with the CD version if you want all of the music. Still though - what a deal.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Erik B. and budwhite like this.
  14. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Almost identical musical philosophies and yet drastically different outcomes. Even when the GoGD weren't in control of something they were engaged in dichotomy.

15. BurtThomasWard

The way I see it, both bands had that going for them in spades. A mirror-like duality, if you will. The calmness at the heart of the wildest moment, a safe passage of melody and rhythm even when travelling to the ends of inner and outer space and beauty in the most harsh and ugly passages.

And yet indeed vice versa.

adamos, ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I just know that there's a book to be written from a compare/contrast standpoint, but it's been too daunting a task for me to tackle. But for now, it's puck drop for B's and Habs in one minute; cheers.

17. BurtThomasWard

May the best puck hitter win. Lifting my can of horrid 'sparkling rosé' cider in yer general direction, Sir :cheers:

ianuaditis, DrLunchbox and Archtop like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes!

rockinlazys and adamos like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Different mix I think but mostly from the same (excellent) Asbury Park '74 show.

adamos and footlooseman like this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I love KC but find I have to be in the right mood for them, and my wife isn't a fan so that puts a further kibosh. I have some of the Collector's Editions, the Night Watch and Great Deceiver and am pretty happy with what I've got. occasionally the big box sets tempt me, but I haven't but the bullet yet... and the big Pink Floyd box that I don't own is also calling and in pole position.

adamos and footlooseman like this.
  21. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

801 Live

Sounds good - funny how 35+ years later I remember mostly every note - Simon Phillips was really something.

Not as much my thing these days but it’s a good listen today nonetheless.....

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

23. notesofachord

Yeah, I don't listen to KC that often either. I've resisted the big boxes so far as well.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  24. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

The dazzling Brand X, one of the most underrated, but favorite bands of the late 70's.
    And Percy Jones, one of the most underrated, but favorite bassist of the late 70's.

[​IMG]

rockinlazys, adamos and footlooseman like this.
  25. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident