Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I have a best of and I Just Can't Stop It (CDs). I had this one on cassette, and also a comp., but those are long gone. Maybe I should have kept my cassettes? Nah.

There was a sweet box set with all their albums and rarities at Rasputin music on Powell that I would have purchased by now had that store not gone out of business.

Pete T. covered "Save It For Later," how much more cred does a band need?

The Specials are coming to Oakland, I saw recently. The Beat were more pop-friendly than this group, and Wakeling has a better voice than anyone in this cast.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

That box set is a great package and includes a raging show. I've seen where
    The Specials tour around from time to time. They were good but not a
    favorite that I listened to as much.

wavethatflag likes this.
  3. wavethatflag

Yeah, I'm not huge into the Specials but I have the above album. "Little Bitch" is the best song on it. "Stupid Marriage" is kind of funny, unless you got married too young. :D

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The recent MoFi hybrid SACD with the original mix (which I'd never heard before) is highly recommended.

notesofachord likes this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was there!

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Bowie's Pinups earlier and now hanging on the back patio with the outdoor speakers for the first time in 2018 (beautiful sunny day here in Oaktown) with Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything for musical company.

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

"March of the Swivelheads" from Special Beat Service will forever be associated in my head with the famous running home scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off:

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

That sounds nice. But I have to wait two-three months for it to get warm enough. It's been snowing much of last week. Really good and cold winter for once

rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    I don't know if this is exactly what Hendrix had in mind when he was putting the album together, but it's excellent anyway. I've revisiting posthumous albums and I confirmed that 1969-1970 is definitely my favorite phase in Jimi's extremely short career.

11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    In my opinion, the best studio album by the band.

12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Quoting my own post about this supposedly “difficult” music to again inform anyone remotely interested in the tenor saxophone that the *great* Rodrigo Amado plays that horn like no one else and his proficiency and energy is positively through the roof. This recording is one of the best places to hear it but one must commit to listen to the whole thing especially since his opening phrases on the first track are extreme to say the least. His playing over the final 20 minutes or so on the last 2 pieces is almost god like.

jay.dee and adamos like this.
  13. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Yes, that's it! Saw the last part of Ferris... the other day. Just listened to
    Rotating Heads again, which is the original song... hilarious. LOL

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    notesofachord likes this.
  14. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Pinups. How long it has been. Thanks for the reminder. I think a pairing of
    that and the Stones blues album which is still an unopened Christmas gift
    are in order this Friday eve betwixt the March Madness hysteria. I'll hold myself to that... too. Great about your patio/speaker set up. We've had a weather flip this month, with March being blustery cold while Feb was 60-70 degree days everyday.

15. wavethatflag

Yeah, you have to have both.

16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Wire Nocturnal Koreans
    Tortoise Millions Now Living Will Never Die

17. wavethatflag

[​IMG]
    Some goes to women, some goes to Jesus,
    Though I'm absolutely certain both's all right
    But it takes me at least halfway to the label
    'Fore I can even make it through the night
    Well, I think that you're headed for a whole lot of trouble
    Yeah, yeah I think that you're headed for a whole lot of trouble
    Baby yeah, I think that you're headed for some trouble
    If you take your whiskey home

18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yesterday evening caught The Mermen playing an acquaintances private birthday party at a place just about 5 minutes from my house, Rockridge Improvement Club here in Oaktown. Great instrumental surf rock, it's been about 18 years since last time I saw them but they are still fantastic. Fun instrumental cover of Rockin' in the Free World as the encore. Tonight listening to the 2003 remix of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars from the Five Years vinyl box. First listen to the remix. I have no idea why this exists (except cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching), the original album is perfect as it is, and this alternate version isn't really illuminating and is mostly disconcerting. Taking a great album and making it still good, but less interesting, for no real reason... At the least the box still also has the original mix, because this one is pointless.

19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

New Jimi Hendrix record on purple vinyl from Barnes and Noble

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

We are back to cold and rainy again, but it was nice while it lasted. Supposed to rain pretty much all week, but can't complain given what our northeastern brethren are going through... anyway, patio/speaker was an anomaly for a while, probably won't be for another month or two before that setup gets another airing...

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'll add that I have had all of Bowie's early albums for ages, except for Pinups, which I unjustly ignored because I thought I didn't need a covers album. When this box set came out in 2015, I finally heard this one and kicked myself for ignoring it so long. The arrangements are great, Bowie's vocal approach is too, and Ronson just kills it throughout. It turns out it's just as essential (IMHO) as any other Bowie from that period.

22. notesofachord

Pinups is a great celebration of mid-'60s UK beat music, albeit with an updated Bowie/Ronson '70s sound.

So much fun!

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    More late Hendrix. He looks tired and wanting to be somewhere else on the footage, but he sounds quite powerful when you only listen. Mitchell does some brilliant inspired drumming, and Cox is solid as always.
    In spite of what many people say, not a bad concert at all. In fact, quite memorable, if you ask me.

24. notesofachord

Groovy sounds from 1960s Peru:

Traffic Sound - "Yellow Sea Days"

adamos and rockinlazys like this.
  25. notesofachord

Thought Santana was the only band to blend groovy rock and latin rhythms? Think again.

Traffic Sound - "Meshkalina'