Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yesterday evening caught The Mermen playing an acquaintances private birthday party at a place just about 5 minutes from my house, Rockridge Improvement Club here in Oaktown. Great instrumental surf rock, it's been about 18 years since last time I saw them but they are still fantastic. Fun instrumental cover of Rockin' in the Free World as the encore. Tonight listening to the 2003 remix of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars from the Five Years vinyl box. First listen to the remix. I have no idea why this exists (except cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching), the original album is perfect as it is, and this alternate version isn't really illuminating and is mostly disconcerting. Taking a great album and making it still good, but less interesting, for no real reason... At the least the box still also has the original mix, because this one is pointless.

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Tighter than Mike Gordon’s jeans

New Jimi Hendrix record on purple vinyl from Barnes and Noble

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

We are back to cold and rainy again, but it was nice while it lasted. Supposed to rain pretty much all week, but can't complain given what our northeastern brethren are going through... anyway, patio/speaker was an anomaly for a while, probably won't be for another month or two before that setup gets another airing...

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'll add that I have had all of Bowie's early albums for ages, except for Pinups, which I unjustly ignored because I thought I didn't need a covers album. When this box set came out in 2015, I finally heard this one and kicked myself for ignoring it so long. The arrangements are great, Bowie's vocal approach is too, and Ronson just kills it throughout. It turns out it's just as essential (IMHO) as any other Bowie from that period.

5. notesofachord

notesofachord Where are the prawns?

Pinups is a great celebration of mid-'60s UK beat music, albeit with an updated Bowie/Ronson '70s sound.

So much fun!

6. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

[​IMG]
    More late Hendrix. He looks tired and wanting to be somewhere else on the footage, but he sounds quite powerful when you only listen. Mitchell does some brilliant inspired drumming, and Cox is solid as always.
    In spite of what many people say, not a bad concert at all. In fact, quite memorable, if you ask me.

7. notesofachord

Groovy sounds from 1960s Peru:

Traffic Sound - "Yellow Sea Days"

adamos and rockinlazys like this.
  8. notesofachord

Thought Santana was the only band to blend groovy rock and latin rhythms? Think again.

Traffic Sound - "Meshkalina'

9. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

During "Foxy Lady", Jimi's Marshall stack catches a radio transmission in Spanish. Now that's weird!

10. notesofachord

Throw on any disc from this glorious box set and a fun time is guaranteed.

NRBQ - High Noon: A 50-Year Retrospective
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm goin' with disc 4: Me and The Boys (1977 - 1990)

11. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

The very best of Nina Simone

12. notesofachord

I just finished playing the bonus disc from this deluxe edition:

U2 - October
    [​IMG]

Such fiery Hiberno-rock! The live sound they had in they early years just blows me away. I've always liked this album a lot. Some folks might not like the supposed Christian themes in some of the lyrics, but honestly - the music and imagery is so good, that it doesn't really matter what Bono is going on about.

13. notesofachord

Van Morrison - ..It's Too Late to Stop Us Now... Volume IV

The Rainbow, London, July 23/24 1973

[​IMG]

14. Archtop

Archtop Infinity goes up on trial!

This one's gonna leave a mark. Taking a brief respite from shoveling to complain. :whistle:

15. notesofachord

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:winkgrin:

16. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Forum Resident

Papa John to pluck a little funk with some of those famous liquid
    fire screaming leads. All the San Fran brethren from the west
    throw in for this fun, sweet and excellent album including a
    charming cover of Over the Rainbow.

What can one say about Crosby? I'll never forget seeing the Dick Cavette show
    where he and his west coast family, many who played on this album, turned the
    network studio into a 'hippie dream vegetable garden'. And played songs from
    his newly released, another sweet and charming record. Laughing is an all time
    great one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  17. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

[​IMG]

Actually the earlier cover...

and later a 4th of

[​IMG]

18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Glenn Spearman Double Trio: Smokehouse

On Black Saint Records

Recorded 1995

19. bzfgt

bzfgt Interesting and Copacetic Denizen

Robyn Hitchcock
    Ole Tarantula
    Goodnight, Oslo
    Globe of Frogs

20. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Forum Resident

A wonderful pair from those wonderful gypsy girls of yesteryear who both
    sing like angels and have lived to tell about it. Lov'em both...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. notesofachord

Plugging in my SG with a tape echo and fuzz box and playing along to...

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live at The Fillmore East (on vinyl)
    [​IMG]

22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

After @posnera shared the story below I decided to get to know this album and Excitable Boy better, which has been a fun assignment. I haven’t ventured further yet but I will. Carmelita is filling the air as I write this.

23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Let me tell you about the time I was sitting at a computer writing a note in the ICU and clearly recognized Carmelita playing softly over the hospital's Muzak system. Strange days, indeed.

24. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

i always loved this since i got the one disc soundboard on vinyl. the twenty minute machine gun worth the gate crash

Erik B. and Rne like this.
  25. Archtop

Archtop Infinity goes up on trial!

Oy, my lumbago. Between getting my wife off to work at 6 AM and her car back in the garage after work at 6:30 PM and maintaining my dog's latrine access (not to mention the legally-required frontage clearing which involved two-foot plow drifts of concrete cinder blocks), the only non-GD stuff I've been listening to has been scrape, scrape, scrape (lather, rinse, repeat). I hope y'all had a grateful day. Mine sucked.

adamos, Rne, budwhite and 2 others like this.