Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

There's a southern accent, where I come from
    The young 'uns call it country
    The Yankees call it dumb
    I got my own way of talkin'
    But everything is done, with a southern accent
    Where I come from

[​IMG]

Crimson Witch, JNTEX, Erik B. and 6 others like this.
  2. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I agree that it was a great expansion and remaster on what was already
    a fine double lp. A lot of fans were surprised with the generosity of material
    when it came out, got great reviews for it too.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  3. budwhite

The Waiting

My favorite Petty song. Such a catchy rocker and the riff is awesome. And the epic guitars!

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Errands happen. I'll be going out to do some myself very soon. But what CD to bring for in-car listening? Hmm...

Erik B., wavethatflag and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. notesofachord

That's a good one. For me, I'm a sucker for the chiming Rickenbackers on "Listen to Her Heart".

Okay, so Tom is playing a Vox teardrop guitar here instead of a Ricky, but it's still plenty chimey:

6. budwhite

Petty and Campbell had great taste in guitars and knew how to get the right sound!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Special stereo edition. It sounds bleeding great.
    A masterpiece.

8. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Just make sure you don't get the edited reissue with 2 mins of the stellar The Bomber cut out....

Or maybe the edit was only on their 2LP Greatest Hits...

Anyway absolute classic from 1970...

I have always looked at the album as heavily influenced by Abbey Road hence the difference in the music on both sides

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Lover of the Bayou might be the most badass song the Byrds ever put down. Not that there are a lot of contenders, as that wasn’t really their thing. Anyway, I’d forgotten how great this song is (listening to the excellent alternate take on Disc 2 now).

10. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

[​IMG]

A fun late light listen on phones, and it works really well on them.

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Over the past couple of evenings, the wife and I have been catching up on the PBS series SoundBreaking from 2016 about the evolution of sound recording. Really well done and interesting overall, lots of footage and information I haven't known about before, as well as interesting takes on the more well trodden. Lots of big name talking heads, such as Nile Rodgers, Roger Waters, Roger Daltrey and non-Rodger/Rogers such as Glyn Johns and Mickey Hart, among many, many others. Lots of the usual suspects, but then somewhat surprising but intelligently chosen detours, like a segment on Devo. Highly recommended for anyone who missed it. We TiVo'd it back when it came out, watched the first episode, but then forgot to get to the rest until now. The final episode has a segment on the GD taping scene, supposedly, but the GD have come up a few times in the other episodes.

12. notesofachord

Here's what I chose (if anyone was curious):

The Modern Lovers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Great choice, especially if your errands include driving past the Stop 'n' Shop.

rockinlazys likes this.
  14. notesofachord

I can't deny that my mind may have been subliminally thinking, "Roadrunner is a great song to play in the car. In fact, it's the best place to play it."

rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes, as long as you embrace the contradiction that you can't listen to your Modern Lovers CD with the radio on.

bzfgt and notesofachord like this.
  16. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Some good info, I will look for that on possible recast. As I was running
    out of gas last night I looked to PBS for Austin City Limits-- no dice. We
    don't get the wonderful from what I hear AXS channel, so my music car
    ran aground unfortunately. Speaking of the evolution of sound engineering,
    I'm listening to what I think is probably the best digital sound of the Burritos.
    It is a compilation that came out in 1988 called Farther Along. I don't care
    for the album cover so here's a another illustration of the FBB...

[​IMG]

wavethatflag, Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Outtakes and alternate takes. Why was "Pass The Wine (Sophia Loren)" left off the album :confused:. It's surprisingly good.

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

In general, a good disc, but some of the 2010 vocal overdubs just don't work.

footlooseman and Crimson Witch like this.
  19. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Prince

10 07 09 Arras, FR - #Sabotage Records 384-387
    "Prince 20Ten European Summer Tour Vol 2"

Excellent audience recording with a killer, mostly upbeat, setlist that just rocks.

20. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

... having compared the overlapping tracks with ...

Even on the Discman (with cheap headphones, and alternately with Bose Companion speakers), the differences are very noticeable. The new 2018 CD remasters sound crisper, clearer, better separation and detail, across the lows, mids, and highs .. whether due to care of transfer, better source tape, or both/other ~ there is clearly improved dynamic range and clarity .. and all this with my humble ears, thank heaven.

This is not to say the 2003 Motown Chronicles compilation isn't excellent SQ-wise .. it is ! The Elemenal reissue engineer(s) was/were nevertheless able to improve on them, which leads me to believe they used a better source tape. That is just a guess, as I have no info.

DrLunchbox and warewolf95 like this.
  21. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Love Campbell’s riff in the intro and coda of that tune.

22. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I've got a fair amount of Byrds live: Live at Fillmore West, early '69; a boot called
    Go West, great soundboard, early 1970; and now playing from Untitled, New York
    early 1970, Queens College in late February, to be exact. Which all adds up to over
    4 hours of prime live Byrds (for me) to enjoy.

[​IMG]

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Dennis Wilson, Pacific Ocean Blue
    Terry Reid, The River

24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

So upon revisiting my rip of the Green 25th Ann. Ed. CDs, and some research here, I've downloaded the HDTracks ver. of the 25th Ann. Ed. not because I like hi-rez (I really, really, really don't) but because unlike the 25th CDs, the HDTracks version is not loud or "hot" at all. It's mastered normally. Plus, and I was unaware of this until I went to HDTracks, their version contains five more songs from the live show included with the 25th CDs. These five tracks were originally available in only the download version of the Green 25th from the R.E.M. web site/store.

In conclusion, buy the HDTracks version of the Green 25th, if you're in the market for it. I'm keeping the 24/96 in my library (not sure why), but I used XLD to make a "normal" to me 16/44.1 version. I'll probably delete my CD rip, and keep the physical box for historical purposes?

Now I'm listening to the expanded, and I assume complete, live show. It's been a Green weekend.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  25. notesofachord

I'm cool with my OG LP of Green. For those that don't spin vinyl though, it sounds like the HD is a better choice than the remaster CD. The live bonus stuff is pretty amazing, I'd imagine.

Crimson Witch and budwhite like this.