Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

It's way better. It's mastered properly (according to this non-expert).

The UMe Sticky Fingers is way too loud. It's a tragedy because it would be the best digital version but for the loudness. Someone should remaster the UMe reissue to get rid of the loudness. I'd buy that in a moment.

Crispy Rob and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

A disgusting remaster indeed. The master tape has its own instances of saturation, but the UMe version is constant clipping affair. The horror!

3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I'm always in the mood for James Gang and Joe Walsh!

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Noctourniquet, by The Mars Volta. As usual, longer than it should be, and badly mastered. But, also as usual, the songs which are good, are really good.

rockinlazys, Erik B. and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    The excellent sophomore album by Alice Cooper.

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Good old Kinks.

7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Speaking of good hi-res Deluxe Editions...

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It's sad that the only good (excellent!) sounding official version of the complete concert is a hi-res digital download. Even though I only collect music on physical format, I made an exception with this one, because it's great.
    (It's worth noting that they producers cheated and edited out the trainwreck during "I'm Free" :D )

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    I know that chubby bearded fellow from somehere...

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

11. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

The distortion that White gets from his Telecaster on the live version is among my favorite of all guitar tones.

From that lineup, I'm also a big fan of the ~10 minute version of "Eight Miles High" from 9/23/70 where they never really play the song. McGuinn announces it, and then they proceed to jam wildly. It borders on trolling: announce a big hit pop song and then play 10 minutes of jamming, including a big bass/drum segment, without singing a single word of the lyrics.

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The live version of "The Weight" included as a bonus is so beautiful. Jerry just shines on pedal steel.

13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Speaking of live New Riders, last night I listened to Ken & Judy Lee's wonderful audience recording of their set from the Capitol Theater, Nov. 8, 1970. Jerry's pedal steel is to die for, especially on "All I Ever Wanted". Oh, and the Grateful Dead show (acoustic pre-NRPS, electric-post) is pretty good* too.

* as long a "pretty good" is correctly interpreted as "one of the best shows they ever played" :edthumbs:

For those interested, make sure that you stream this version, the others don't sound as good:

www.archive.org/details/gd1970-11-08.aud.weiner.28609.sbeok.shnf/nrps1970-11-08t06.shn

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Fairport Convention

What We Did on Our Holidays
    Unhalfbricking
    Liege and Lief
    Full House

Sandy Denny Sandy

16. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

17. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I need to remember to pick up that version with bonus tracks. It flew under my radar when it was reissued. Have the older CD as well as a vinyl reissue from the 80s.

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listening to Mary Stuart's Way Out West to close out the night and close up the honky tonks.

Earlier listened to Golden Smog's Down by the Old Mainstream, Jesus & Mary Chain Munki, Gene Clark's No Other, The Band's Cahoots and Jimi's Valleys of Neptune (maybe that's what all this Valley Beyond stuff in Westworld is all about).

20. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

[​IMG]
    Goldfrapp are amazing. I highly advise anyone to prepare judiciously before consuming in this fine dessert. It is quite sweet. All of their albums are fantastic if you listen to each without any preconceptions of what you are about to hear and are open to what they are trying to do. Great party albums.

21. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

The Fonda Theater in LA has these all over the walls.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I want to announce that today I'm picking The Album Collection: 1973-1984 - Volume 1, so you might find some future Springsteen-related posts by me in the near future. Yes, believe it or not (well, it's not that hard to believe, actually).

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    My least favorite Floyd album. Is it bad? No, it's not, but it pales in comparison with other albums by the band.

24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Nice collection. Those plangent remasters sounds great, but maybe a little bit on the loud side... It didn't bother me though.

I don't listen to Springsteen much but when I do, it's 95% live. Just like with the Dead.

Crimson Witch and Rne like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Oops, that was Marty not Mary Stuart, but too late to fix.