Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Fwiw and I’m sure nobody cares but if my wife tunes the FM radio or Sirius XM in the car and Bruce comes on it is immediately turned off. Absolutely no redeeming value to me - only resentments and bad memories.

mmthmj, ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.
  2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I think he's written some good songs, and I've always been sort of a populist myself (in a good way, I know that term is lightning rod-ish in some permutations these days, but I tend to side with workers as opposed to owners). But I've never connected to Bruce nearly as much as other artists I like. My favorite track is "Spirit In The Night," which is really sorta Van Morrison-y musically.
    :biglaugh:
    Does that make Bono Irish Bruce?

3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Some electro acoustic stuff from the 70s.
    [​IMG]

notesofachord likes this.
  4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

That's actually probably closer to the truth than you might think. Bono called Bruce the "Buddha" of his youth.

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. wavethatflag

I like the lyrics of "Born In The USA" but really don't like how it was mistook for some sort of national anthem. I chalk that up to the anthemic presentation of the music. He was sort of sly with this, downer lyrics in a boastful musical package. Sort of a Top 40 Trojan Horse.

Born down in a dead man's town
    The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
    End up like a dog that's been beat too much
    Till you spend half your life just covering up

Born in the U.S.A., I was born in the U.S.A.
    I was born in the U.S.A., born in the U.S.A.

Got in a little hometown jam
    So they put a rifle in my hand
    Sent me off to a foreign land
    To go and kill the yellow man

Born in the U.S.A., born in the U.S.A.
    Come back home to the refinery

Hiring man said "son if it was up to me"
    Went down to see my V.A. man
    He said "son, don't you understand"
    I had a brother at Khe Sahn
    Fighting off the Viet Cong
    They're still there, he's all gone

He had a woman he loved in Saigon
    I got a picture of him in her arms now

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
    Out by the gas fires of the refinery
    I'm ten years burning down the road
    Nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go

Born in the U.S.A., I'm a long gone daddy in the U.S.A.
    Born in the U.S.A., born in the U.S.A.
    Born in the U.S.A., I'm a cool rocking daddy in the U.S.A.

Rne and budwhite like this.
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation
    [​IMG]

(I had to cleanse myself of some of the dopey comments in one of the JA threads. 5oth anniversary for this one!)

I still think I prefer After Bathing at Baxters, but this one is very good as well.

"House at Pooneil Corners" might be the most misleading song title ever, given the content.

7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Cut the Crap. Just felt like mentioning my least favorite Clash album.

rockinlazys, bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  8. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

An awesome album. The Surrealistic-Baxter's-Crown trifecta is brilliant. And "House at Pooneil Corners" is one of the band's greatest achievements.

10. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

[​IMG]

This is what I had for years, a cassette tape. This wasn't released on CD until 1995. I played the hell out of that tape. It was a great tape for the wee hours of a Sunday morning. I first discovered the Doors one summer at my grandmother's house when I was maybe 12(?) It all blends together now. Back in those days, each of the older grandchildren would spend a week at Grandma's over the summer, where each of us would take our turn making lemonade from lemons in the backyard, making macaroons, making strawberry jam or grape jelly (depending on what was in season in the backyard garden), and playing card games, of which she always cheated. This was the first year that my parents put me on a Greyhound all by myself, from Huntington Beach to Ventura, CA. My week at Grandma's happened to overlap a couple of days with that of my cousin. He'd be leaving in a couple of days. These couple of days was the most time I would ever have with him. He was what they would call a hippie. He was only a few years older than me but he had that same look as the people I had seen on the beach back home. And he had music. He would blare his tapes from his portable stereo from the porch and fill the backyard with these amazing sounds. I was already very much into music but I had never really had the liberty to "crank it" before. That would change soon enough of course, but at this point in my journey, that hadn't happened yet. So, to me, this was like sitting in the sweet spot of a Who concert. One afternoon he put this tape on. The lush backyard became the setting for this fascinating biography of American life in the late 20th century. I bought my own copy when I got back home. And I have been playing it ever since. It's probably the most important piece of music to me next to discovering Echo & The Bunnymen. Kudos to you, if you recognize the connection. I will probably feel inclined to play something from the latter after this. Awake.....

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Crispy Rob, adamos, Rne and 3 others like this.
  11. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Lucy Show was a great band with bad label problems. I loved this album. It was it's own thing at the time. In fact, I recall trying to woo my future wife with Part of Me Now on the B-side. It's a great song, as is everything else here.

rockinlazys likes this.
  12. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Ohhh, I want that!

Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  14. wavethatflag

It's excellent except for Jim's unfortunate fish joke, which I can't repeat here, and wouldn't want to anyway. I've made it through the first two shows. It has four, early and late. But it's probably peak doors or, right just after peak Doors. I'm not super conversant in their live history, brief though it is.

Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
    Deluxe 3LP version (includes Mr Noah EP)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of 2015's finest albums.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    rockinlazys likes this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That set is peak Doors for sure. I haven't listened to it in a long while, though.

Erik B. likes this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    This one is not working that well for me. Not yet, at least.

wavethatflag and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Mr. Gilmour's excellent debut solo album. 1978.

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Time for some Argentine rock/jazz/prog/you name it. Serú Girán, a hell of a band, take my word for it. Bicicleta, released in 1980.

adamos likes this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    "Midnight Rambler" drags a bit for my taste, but the rest of the album is pretty top-notch Rolling Stones.

21. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

worth all of your money and time.

budwhite, rockinlazys, adamos and 4 others like this.
  22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

It’s also OOP and very pricey

23. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Barry Guy’s Blue Shroud Ensemble: Tensegrity

This time most of Disc 4 including an 18+ minute group improvisation that starts with a double bass (Guy)/serpent (Michel Godard) that morphs into a septet that adds viola from an amazing lady named Fanny Pauccoud (who apparently comes from the world of classical/baroque music) then we start to hear the three young horn guys - and then the drumming from Lucas Niggli. Astounding super abstract improvised music with a tension & energy level of the highest order.

Someone here one day buys this box and commits to full hearing at high volume with no distractions. As great of a new release of improvised music that I’ve heard in the past 10 years - the only rivals being the 2 previous Barry Guy box sets (Mad Dogs & Mad Dogs On The Loose) which also feature small formations of a large ensemble / with that large ensemble being the Barry Guy New Orchestra which features more well known and seasoned improvisors like Evan Parker, Mats Gustafsson, Trevor Watts & Herb Robertson. Both bands include the *GREAT* Agusti Fernandez on the grand piano and recordings of this quality with this great musician on them is more reason to buy these releases.

adamos likes this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Hot Tuna - Yellow Fever
    [​IMG]

I also listened to the second half of 'Crown of Creation' again, and now it's this gem:

[​IMG]

Ned Lagin - Seastones

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Stereo downmix. Not the most balanced mix, but it has some extra details and differences. I simply love this album.