Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
    [​IMG]

If Syd Barrett had returned to music during the post-punk era it very-well could've sounded like this. It's my favorite non-major label (indie) LP from that year (1980) I think. It's the perfect marriage of hippie and punk.

There's a nice sitar solo at 1:30

2. notesofachord

The bonus tracks on the 2001 Matador CD are almost as good as the album proper. Have you heard these, @bzfgt ?

He's a Reptile
    Vegetable Man
    Strange
    Only the Stones Remain
    Where are the Prawns?
    Dreams
    Black Snake Diamond Rock
    There's Nobody Like You
    Song #4

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  3. notesofachord

Captain Beefheart lives the veins of this one:

"Black Snake Diamond Rock"

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  4. notesofachord

"Dreams" would've been a highlight on many a band's album any yet it remained an unreleased outtake at the time. Crazy.

That Telecaster sounds delightful.

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  5. notesofachord

More 1980 brilliance:

Pretenders
    [​IMG]

More Telecasters too.

6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yes. Many of those are on Invisible Hits, too...

notesofachord likes this.
  7. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Ok, so after listening to the Unplugged show yesterday, ive gone nuts re-starting a McCartney collection.

Ive had thr audio forever but now I FINALLY have found the complete video for both Rio 1990 and Unplugged.

Also freaked out to find a complete soundboard of the 2003 Red Square show now circulates. I don't know when this happenned - I have never ever seen this until now.

The 2005 Denver soundboard (sounds like an ALD) is another extremely welcome surprise. Until recently (well, 2012) we only had a SBD of Des Moines and nothing else.

The US Tour is my favorite from a setlist perspective and I wore out my taped-from-TV copy of The Space Within Us vhs as a kid so its got a special place in my heart lol. I remember discovering solo Macca in 2006 and being SO bummed I missed him. :(

All good things come to those who wait though. I just wish it didnt have to be 14 years of waiting!

:)

8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Jeff Albert’s Instigation Quartet: The Tree on the Round

Albert on trombone
    Edward “Kidd” Jordan on tenor saxophone
    Joshua Abrams on double bass
    Hamid Drake on drums

Recorded in studio in New Orleans on 11/21/2011

A tribute to the late, great Fred Anderson as 2 of his compositions begin & finish the album

On Rogue Art Records

hyde park and wavethatflag like this.
  9. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So I just tracked down an audio rip of McCartney's Live In Red Square dvd so I could combine the 2003 Moscow tracks with the raw soundboard I have.

The SBD is RAW (still excellent, but very...IEM sounding).

What gives - the official audio sounds WORSE! The mix is horrible on the dvd (at least on the rip I obtained).

It's the only Macca dvd I never got because I saw it on tv once and the editing was horrific. Combine that with the ridiculous chopping out of half of the concert and presenting what's there out of order.

Sorry, I pass. :p

wavethatflag likes this.
  10. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

More Blood On The Tracks is hard for me to resist.

Finally getting around to The Who Live At The Fillmore East 1968. I'm using my earbuds usually reserved for phone listening (RHA MA750i) through my headphone amp, and they sound even better. I think a really good rule for audio equipment is put as much clean power behind whatever you're listening with, even low impedance earbuds. I don't think there is such a thing as too much power. To quote Pete in The Kids Are Alright, "Power and volume, power and volume."
    [​IMG]

I've had a large portion of this '68 show on a boot for years, but I assume this official is the whole thing. "My Generation" on the boot was cut to just over 9 minutes, but this one is 35 minutes. It's a medley of course, I think.

I watched Eric Clapton: Life In 12 Bars. I recommend it if you're a Clapton fan. The documentary really reflects that he was depressed and hooked on drugs and alcohol for years. It's basically unvarnished. You've probably heard about all the stuff with Pattie Boyd and the Derek & The Dominoes album, but the documentary really fills in all the events and emotions around that episode.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I won't be able to pass this time, I need that box set.

adamos, Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  12. wavethatflag

No, you don't need it. You want it. It's just cardboard, paper and plastic, man. As the Athens band, or one of them, sang:

Take your instinct by the reins
    You'd better best to rearrange
    What we want and what we need
    Has been confused, been confused

:D

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I crave that box. I long for it.
    Happy now? :laugh:

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. wavethatflag

No, no I'm not. But that's beside the point.

Dude, it's not Giselle!

Just kidding. It is Giselle.

Actually it isn't. It isn't even a Maine lobster dinner. There's more nourishment in a Quarter Pounder than the Dylan box.

But, oh, the music!

You know another big thing coming out? That new Hendrix Electric Ladyland set. Wow. I read about it and now I WANT it.

Archtop and Crispy Rob like this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm fine with the original album in this case. Mainly because due to Argentine economics fluctuations, buying music it's HARD and I have to choose.

Erik B. and wavethatflag like this.
  16. wavethatflag

Huh? Respect the Jimi by buying even more of his many posthumous releases!

Anyone can buy a box, few can listen
    Any fool can trespass, few get permission
    It's hard. It's very, very hard.

Sorry, I've got WHO on the brain.

Rne and Erik B. like this.
  17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Is that doc on Netflix ?

18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I usually don’t rebuy stuff I already have, but the goodies might make me make an exception on this one.

footlooseman and wavethatflag like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

They should release a Who's Next box set, shouldn't they? Every damn outtake, all Pete's demos, every 1971 live recording.
    On the other hand... No, they'd better not.

footlooseman and Erik B. like this.
  20. wavethatflag

It's kind of been already done, Pete's Lifehouse release (an insta-buy for me when it came out, so "insta-buy" I had it purchased before it was conceived) has all his demos for Who's Next and it beats all the boots. Plus the Who's Next DE has a Vic Theatre performance. So, more releases are probably unnecessary, unless there's stuff they have that's never been released or leaked or what have you. @lukpac would probably know the details of exactly what's what with Who's Next material. I'd have to do research, and it's Saturday, man.

footlooseman likes this.
  21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, but since Lifehouse it's out of print, they could put those demos together with every second recorded for Who's Next, plus 1971 shows, a surround mix of the original album, etc, etc in a nice box set.
    I love the Who's Next 2-cd deluxe edition, but I need more.

footlooseman and wavethatflag like this.
  22. wavethatflag

Because we are talking about The Who, I'm going to let that "need" slide. Because you are correct, sir.

footlooseman likes this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That’s the version I have. Great stuff indeed.

bzfgt, notesofachord and wavethatflag like this.
  24. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Re: More Blood, More Tracks I think I’m going to go for the whole thing. A 2-CD version might have been enough for me but I’m not sure the single disc will. I read in the BS 14 thread that ImportCDs preorder price is only $105 so that makes it more tempting too since it does seem overpriced.

For Cutting Edge I was definitely interested in listening to everything at least once but I wasn’t sure how much repeat listening some of it would get, so I just got the 2-CD. I’m happy with it but I also kinda wish I’d at least done the 6-CD of that one. So this time I’ll probably do it.

Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  25. notesofachord

Well, at least you don't need to ask for a refund. :righton:

bzfgt and warewolf95 like this.