Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Not a good release regarding production, but the music is lovely.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Are you guys familiar with a band called the Rolling Stones? :biglaugh:

Anyway, I'm on a Mick jag, probably because of the recent thread,"Does Ron Wood have a guitar, and does he play it on Rolling Stones albums?"

This album documents my first era of Stones:
    [​IMG]
    I probably wouldn't go to a go-go, even if I knew what it was and where it was. This was enjoyable.

I liked this one too:
    [​IMG]
    Although, Mick has a bad case of Stephen Stills Disease on this one. Case in point, "Midnight Rambler," I don't know what he' s singing, but "rambler" it ain't. It's sort of like he's pretending to be on drugs or booze when he actually isn't.

And before the live stuff, I went with this:
    [​IMG]
    This is a fine album, but for me it peters out here and there. Too much mid tempo country honk I guess. But other times I've raved about this one, so don't get me wrong.

Next was this:
    [​IMG]
    The original title of this was Between The Buttons Of Acid, but the under assistant west coast production man made them shorten it.

3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Neil Young Harvest

4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Nice plays, Chris

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Can you or anyone else recommend three songs by Kurt Vile? He has never clicked with me (filed under "I Don't Hate It", essentially), and I find individual song recommendations in many cases more helpful than album recommendations.

6. bzfgt

I read this from the bottom up and I knew it was you well before I got to the top. I just wanted to mention that because I think it's pretty cool!

Erik B. likes this.
  7. wavethatflag

Dude, don't use what may or may not be my real name. I'm undercover of the night and stuff. :D
    I also like your posts and most everyone's here. Once in a while I venture into a non-Dead-related thread, and some posters are just on the meaner side of INSANE.

Erik B. and bzfgt like this.
  8. wavethatflag

I would recommend a whole album, Wakin On A Pretty Daze. That was the first one Pitchfork reading pointed me to. It also contains his "hit," or a song that got some traction. Although I can't remember the name of it. Sorry.

Erik B., notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  9. bzfgt

OK. I'm not going to listen to it, you realize.

Well, OK, I'll figure out what the "hit" is and listen to that...

10. bzfgt

This is true. But, I feel I can point this out now because it's like Nixon going to China, since I'm known as pro-WTF now...you sometimes get angry when people have a negative opinion of something you like.

Erik B. likes this.
  11. wavethatflag

I have a bad day on here once in a great while. But I doubt that I'm actually angry in many of the instances you may be thinking of. I mean, sarcasm does come easy to me, but not like it did when I was younger. Plus West Coast living beats that out of you.

I use this -->:D a lot, and sometimes I don't use it because I use it so much. And maybe when I don't you assume anger. I don't know.

I'm listening to this now:
    [​IMG]

I don't quite understand the Nixon analogy, except I'm probably the best peacemaker to send to non-Dead threads because I'm more likely to nuke them than not. Not with an actual nuke, but with the "truth" bomb. Note that truth is in quotation marks.

I'm not making sense now. But am I entertaining? I'm just trying to make the world a better place for free trade and Happy Meal downsizing.

Is this about my pro-Pigpen rants? That wasn't anger. But it was "Are you kidding me, you don't like a 20 minute Hard To Handle?" That's a legitimate question.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  12. wavethatflag

I'll be able to tell you once I complete the above album, or at least get to that particular tune.

Erik B. and bzfgt like this.
  13. bzfgt

I am happy to be wrong about your horrible, eye-popping, vein-bursting, homicidal rage*. No it wasn't about Pigpen but I don't remember what, like all good imputations...I think partly from stuff on the "Dead and CO." thread but I could be misremembering that.

*alleged

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. bzfgt

Now I am listening to Holy Wave, I think it was @notesofachord that invoked them? I have checked them out before, on Youtube as I am doing now. They sound really good but I am doing other things at the same time and am not giving it a proper evaluation, but the general vibe and sound are great, a little like the BJM school of music I think. I am a little burnt out on neo-psych in general right now which may dispose me to not pursue it very far, we'll see. I think this is in part because are a lot of psych revivial bands that sound really good and have OK songs that don't wind up sticking to the ribs, I still haven't determined where they sit in this context--whether they are Hookworms or Thee Oh Sees remains to be seen (or where they fall in between--not that Hookworms are bad at all, mind you, they are not, they just don't stick with me).

notesofachord likes this.
  15. wavethatflag

Well, look, the Dead & Co. thread DID get hairy. But I don't think I ever went off on anyone. Plus, I'm pals with @Crispy Rob, and we have diametrically opposed views of that particular post-Jerry excursion, and he's made it clear as to what he thinks of "Josh" Mayer. And I called him out in the thread on his using Josh, but in a nice way.

With the post-GD stuff, that's where I truly am Switzerland. Which means neutral. Well, I'm not really neutral, I like a lot of the post-Jerry stuff in terms of attending, but not so much in re-listening to the shows. Anyway, if someone doesn't like D&C, I don't attempt to convince them otherwise.

It just occurred to me: somebody was making fun of John Mayer's guitar faces in the D&C thread, I can't remember the exact words, and I had a word about that. But my angle there, my truthful angle, was keep the debate on the music and not on someone's physical characteristics. I may have found the comment in question to be an insult of sixth-grade caliber. And we can do better than that here, people.

They say John Cleese, off-stage, could be viciously insulting, but the whole time he was insulting a person, they were laughing because he was that funny. We can't reasonably expect to approach that here, but that should be the goal.

footlooseman and bzfgt like this.
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

One of my Kurt Vile favorites is "Lost My Head There".

17. wavethatflag

I think Kurt Vile might be up your alley, @bzfgt. But then again, who knows? I haven't pinned down the common denominator in your listening. Although I could say that about everyone else here--you're all bleeding quadrophenic!

Which reminds me, I should go down to the eel & pie shop and get a carton of eels. Never. Yuck, eels man, I doubt I'd want to sit down to one, much less eat it.

18. notesofachord

"Freak Train" is a must. It's like Kurt's typical slacker-folk gets mixed with Sonic Youth noise rock or something.

It concludes with cacophony nearly worthy of the legacy of a Grateful Dead "Feedback", a Velvet Underground "Sister Ray", or an MC5 "Starship".

adamos, budwhite, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Hey you. Get ya hand up out ya pocket.

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  20. wavethatflag

Actually, the Kurt Vile song I was referring to isn't on Wakin On A Pretty Daze, it's on Smoke Ring For My Halo, and it's called "Smoke Ring For My Halo."

Edit: No, it's not on that album, either. I'd know it if I heard it, but I can't find it right now.

Edit 2: It's "Pretty Pimpin" from B'lieve I'm Going Down.

Not a knock-out song, but one of his better ones. He did it at Solid Sound 2017.

21. notesofachord

For my third KV recommendation, well, it's hard to go wrong with "Jesus Fever". Still my favorite song of his.

adamos, bzfgt and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. notesofachord

My favorite two Holy Wave tracks that I've heard so far are probably:

"Magic Landing"

bzfgt likes this.
  23. notesofachord

and "Habibi"

Watch for the epic tempo/vibe shift at 1:25

bzfgt likes this.
  24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

"My dad would get pissed out of his brain every single night, and when the telly finished he'd storm out of the house like a lunatic to get to the eel and pie shop before it closed. He'd come home with enough for an army. I never liked the eels, just the pies and mash, and the liquor. My friend Dave said that eels live on sewage. My dad must be full of it, he'd eat five bleeding cartons of eels a day..."

~ Quadrophenia

25. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power