Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

There is no political solution
    To our troubled evolution
    Have no faith in constitution
    There is no bloody revolution

We are spirits in the material world

Our so-called leaders speak
    With words they try to jail you
    They subjugate the meek
    But it's the rhetoric of failure

We are spirits in the material world

[​IMG]
    At one point, I had the disc depicted above, which I think is a picture of the original U.S. issue of this album on CD. It was mastered very low, too low--the absolute opposite of brick-walled.

I was inspired by the "Do you consider the Police prog rock?" thread, which is an offshoot of the "Do you consider water fire?" thread in the off-topic forum.

Funny that "Too Much Information" was written even before the 24-hour "news" cycle and rampant infotainment.

Darkness makes me stumble, for a key, to a door, that's wide open.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I think those original Police CD issues are way better than the brick walled digipack versions, but there is a middle ground that still has not been reached. Original vinyl is really the best way to go by a long mile, for the time being at least.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I need this, clearly. Thanks to a generous forum member, I have the Shrine ‘69 release, which is also very good.

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

This forum has made me listen less and less to The Beatles.
    Yes, I get really really annoyed by the threads. Chapmanesque if you ask me.

But I'm back to the listening part and enjoying it again.
    Please Please Me right now. Ringo singing Boys :D
    Looking forward to the White Album remix. A song like Long Long Long should be a nice upgrade. I don't particular think that the '68 mix sounds very good.

5. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

[​IMG]
    Draw The Line. In my opinion, the most pedestrian Aerosmith album from the 1973-1983 era, but since it includes "Kings and Queens", one of their best songs, I listen to it every once in a while. It's not a bad album, but it's several steps below what they had recorded before it (but much better than what came after 1983 ;) ).

budwhite likes this.
  6. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I'd say Night in the Ruts and DEFINITELY Rock and a Hard Place are worse. The latter.... ugh.... But yes, Kings and Queens is a killer track. Draw the Line is half decent-to-good and half throw-aways. I always liked the title track too. But the band's high water mark was clearly 73-76/77 for studio output. From there it's an occasional track or two but nowhere nearly as consistent.

wavethatflag and budwhite like this.
  7. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

I like Night In The Ruts a lot, and I enjoy Rock in a Hard Place more than Draw The Line.
    At least, I'm sure our views on their first four albums must be similar.

8. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

Can anyone here share an opinion about Dylan's Trouble No More (the 2-cd version)? I'm thinking about the possibility of getting it.

9. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I like it and think it works well as a live compilation for that era.

footlooseman and Rne like this.
  10. US Blues

US Blues Forum Resident

Electric Byrd

Donald Byrd

11. bzfgt

bzfgt Interesting and Copacetic Denizen

Kinks Everybody's in Showbiz

angelo73, Jim Walker, adamos and 4 others like this.
  12. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

Good idea!
    I'm listening to it right now.

bzfgt likes this.
  13. notesofachord

notesofachord Where are the prawns?

Incendiary live gospel-rock. Essential.

Get it.

adamos, footlooseman and Rne like this.
  14. notesofachord

I must be honest that I'm not big on modern remixes of classic music. Sure, they can correct "mistakes" and present a more balanced, modern sound, but it's not what the band approved to put out to the public when it was new music. "Long, Long, Long" is supposed to be super quiet and subtle after the cacophony of "Helter Skelter". That's kind of the point. Even though it's the same mix, I didn't like the fact that the limiting/normalisation on the 2009 remaster made Long, Long, Long noticeably louder. It's supposed to be super quiet. Ringo's tom and snare hits are intended to blast out super loud out of the low volume of the singing, organ, and guitar.

Just one man's opinion and YMMV, of course.

angelo73, Archtop, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  15. Hi Lizard

Hi Lizard Forum Resident

Genesis-Foxtrot

adamos, US Blues, rockinlazys and 3 others like this.
  16. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sonic Youth at CBGB, New York, 12-13-88

[​IMG]

17. Archtop

Archtop Infinity goes up on trial!

For context, I consider Dylan to be among the most important musicians ever. The musicians on Trouble No More are fantastic; the bands are literally on fire at times. That said, Bob's voice is as terrible as it ever got during this period; drink some prune juice for crying out loud! The pontificating tone, hopelessly tired message and relatively weak material results in a dysfunctional doorstop to my ears (the two versions of Gotta Serve Somebody do redeem the set somewhat).

When Dylan is restless and/or annoyed, he can't be beat. When he's complacent, no thanks.

budwhite, US Blues and Rne like this.
  18. notesofachord

Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots
    Parlophone 2014

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob and rockinlazys like this.
  19. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

[​IMG]
    Going slowly, listening over and over again.
    Disc 2:
    • Three tries at "Simple Twist of Fate" with Eric Weissberg and Deliverance. Beautiful.
    • Blues time with "Call Letter Blues" and "Meet Me in the Morning" (including the definitive take of the latter) with Eric Weissberg and Deliverance (plus a steel guitar overdub by Buddy Cage). Groovy.
    • "Idiot Wind" and its evolution through a series of six takes (vocals, acoustic guitar and bass only). The lyrics are not exactly the ones in the album yet, but Bob is already sure where he's aiming at from the first time the red light's on. Trascendental.
    • Eight takes of "You Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go", all played with a Eric Weissberg and Deliverance. After these attempts, some of them really good, Dylan will keep on for the rest of the NY sessions accompanied by bass and keyboards only. Lovely.
    Not bad coming from only one of the six discs in the set.

Edit: incidentally, in the notebook reproduced in the box set book, Bob spells "Rimbeau" instead of "Rimbaud".

mgb70, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Spring Heel Jack Live

Recorded on 1/22 & 1/25/2003

With:

Han Bennink: Drums
    William Parker: Bass
    Evan Parker: tenor saxophone
    Matthew Shipp: Fender Rhodes
    J. Spaceman: guitar

Spring Heel Jack is Ashley Wales & John Coxon

On Thirsty Ear

2 Astounding wide ranging pieces totalling ~ 75 minutes.

Watch out for Han Bennink on the beastly bass/drum duo that starts the 39 minute second track.

21. wavethatflag

Actually, Message In A Box is nicely mastered. It’s the go-to CD version.

Rne likes this.
  22. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

A lot of people in this forum wouldn't agree with you, but I do. I love that box set.

23. wavethatflag

You may want to check on that. I’m fairly sure there is a thread on this where the consensus is Message In A Box. It’s normally mastered and therefore crankable.

Rne likes this.
  24. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

I remember reading many posts saying that, even though the mastering was not bad, it wasn't too memorable either. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Anyway, my ears are more than satisfied with it!

wavethatflag likes this.
  25. wavethatflag

Well, the box came out in ‘93 or so which is probably pre-loudness wars. Maybe it could be better if mastered again, but using the three generations of Led Zeppelin digital re-releases as an example, it’s probably not worth the effort. Some tunes might be better and others might be no better, or worse, than what was previously available.

Message In A Box is not the complete recordings even though it says it is, so there is a re-release opportunity there. But the band is wearing a toe tag these days.

US Blues likes this.