Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

It is a good one to have and the most obscure record in the
    bunch. I hope the Sweet Hearts of the Rodeo tour honours
    Clark with at least one song in the show; he was exceptionally
    talented.

Java' Cheers [​IMG]

It's Sat'd morning and MvyRadio is spinning the magic...

11/17/2018 09:03 AM Rolling Stones, Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
    11/17/2018 08:58 AM Madeleine Peyroux, Instead
    11/17/2018 08:55 AM John Hiatt, Cry To Me
    11/17/2018 08:51 AM Johnny A, Oh Yeah
    11/17/2018 08:45 AM Rosanne Cash, Not Many Miles To Go
    11/17/2018 08:41 AM Ben Lee, Catch My Disease
    11/17/2018 08:38 AM River Whyless, All Day All Night
    11/17/2018 08:32 AM Noah Gundersen, Number One Hit Of The Summer
    11/17/2018 08:30 AM Bruce Springsteen, 57 Channels (and Nothin'
    11/17/2018 08:25 AM Shemekia Copeland, Mississippi Mud
    11/17/2018 08:21 AM Garland Jeffreys, Waiting For The Man
    11/17/2018 08:15 AM Darlingside, Hold Your Head
    11/17/2018 08:08 AM Robt. Bradley's Blackwat, Train
    11/17/2018 08:04 AM Ural Thomas, Slow Down
    11/17/2018 08:02 AM Little Feat, Spanish Moon
    11/17/2018 07:56 AM David Gray, Please Forgive Me
    11/17/2018 07:52 AM Robert Plant, Bluebirds Over The Mountain
    11/17/2018 07:48 AM Lou Reed, I Love You Suzanne
    11/17/2018 07:43 AM Devotchka, Straight Shot
    11/17/2018 07:40 AM Lord Huron, Fool For Love
    11/17/2018 07:34 AM Al Green, Before The Next Tear Drop Falls

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Zappa In New York. I’m still getting to know this one. It’s got some great tracks. Some of the zanier, more dialogue oriented songs I haven’t connected with as much yet (though I usually do like those). But I haven’t played it a lot yet so that will likely evolve.

3. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Of Za, Pollock & a Baker on drums...A relatively tame journey to Louisville to see Music of Cream, performed by Jack & Ginger's boys with Eric's nephew (attenuated) on lead. Extraordinary to experience such unique and seminal hard psychedelic blues played by those with a DNA-level affiliation; a heavy dose of improvisation proved a welcomed rebuttal to the notion of a mere cover act. What the trio did with "White Room" in the 'tween spaces was revelatory (who'd have thought!). A favourite moment, which underscored the group's aesthetic risk-taking (and perhaps only a Deadhead or jazz aficionado could distill great significance from such a thing), occurred during "I'm So Glad" when groupmind completely broke down: 4-5 minutes of utterly failed attempts to find some sort of freeform melodic construct (Will listening to Malcolm while looking pensively, lips pursed at the ornate ceiling and Malcolm listening headcocked to Will while staring holes with laser focus into the stage flooring) until Kofi declared 'enough' and pulled the crew back onto the page of written notation. And in the beautiful historic Brown Theatre! Worth the time and money.

Louisville is also home to a little-known artistic jewel in the Midwest: the Speed Art Museum located on the edge of U of L's lovely campus. Currently hosting a Modern Masterworks exhibit that comprises movements "from Picasso to Pollock"; really an extraordinary capsule of major artistic schools during the first half of the 20th century.

Finally, in years past I'd eaten at the pizza altar of Impellizeri's, though friends of a competing faction insisted that Wick's is the inarguable Alpha predator among River City pizzerias. So I went, and in the shabby-chic boho bar environs of Wick's, watched the busy midday traffic along Bardstown Road, deep in the magnificent Highlands, while a crazy patch of the season's first snow moved through. Good - no, really good - pizza, BUT certainly not Impellizeri's...sauce too thick, no fennel (or not enough), and clearly inferior crust. Have to admit, I brought 4 pieces home and it was better cold the next day.

Currently listening to Phideaux magnum opus "Doomsday Afternoon"; the tastes of veteran Deadheads and elder forumites have largely proven an effective compass for my personal exploration of 'classic' (ugh...primal? Golden Age? pre-Cambrian?) RnR, but I've been flummoxed by the poet waxings for Prog - stuff like Genesis & Yes (I simply cannot fathom how Tull (of which I own everything pre-Reagan) could be classified as such). Anyway, doing the whole 'Alice down the rabbit thing' on Amazon (i.e., if you bought X, you might like Y), and I stumble onto Phideaux; what's this? In a couple weeks I've picked up just about everything, but can readily suggest 'Doomsday' as a point of entry: operatic in scope, a symphonic soundstage, and cascading succession of musical movements suggestive of classical composition. Suddenly I grasp the creative promise of a genre that has to this time eluded me. Happy Days.

P.S.: Did WTF artistically correlate "Wolfman's Brother" with "Full House" AND claim to find sympathetic emotional appeal in BojackH., or did I hallucinate page 929?

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The problem with that album is that the remix made in the 80's (the version that has been used since then for all formats) drenched everything in reverb and it was not properly equalized. At least we have Läther, which features seven songs from that album (in some cases edited differently) sounding great.
    Sonic issues aside, the performances are marvelous, and I would love to have that complete run of shows properly released one day.

adamos likes this.
  5. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Switching gears. @wavethatflag ’s Van Morrison outing prompted me to bring out A Night In San Francisco, which was recorded in 1993. I can’t remember the last time I played this; it’s probably been years. But I always really liked it.

6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Inspired by adamos' listening inspired by my Van outing ...
    [​IMG]

7. wavethatflag

I had no idea who this was, so I just read his biography on allmusic.com. Footlooseman, you know how to mine the classic rock vein.

Jim Walker and budwhite like this.
  8. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

One of my alltime favorite mostly instrumental rock guitar records. The deluxe edition made even sweeter with more jams.

wavethatflag likes this.
  9. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin: Presence

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Listening to it for the very first time (in fact, I have a lot of Weather Report titles in my collection that I have never even tried).

12. wavethatflag

I just started it. Good choice.

I don't drink much beer at all. The night I recently hung out with @budwhite, I only drank a twelve-pack of PBR before I drove us out to Phil's. I kid.

Anyway, I did the rare thing and bought a big bottle of Brother Thelonius' Belgian style abbey ale. Actually, they probably sell it only in one size bottle (25.4 ounce). I drank half last night and am drinking the other half now. I haven't had an ale like this in a long time. Beer.

13. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Sounds like this might be my next Zappa purchase...

Erik B. and Rne like this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    The famous test pressing, which is still essential in spite of the latest volume of the bootleg series. I think this is the only bootleg title in my collection I pay real attention to.

15. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

UFO - Phenomenon: Chrysalis, 1974
    The Coal Porters (Sid Griffin & Co.) - The Gram Parsons Tribute Concert (cd) : Prima, 1998
    Brand X - Unorthodox Behavior : Passport, 1976
    Mick Taylor - A Stones' Throw (cd) : Sensible, 1999
    Darol Anger & Mike Marshall - The Duo : Rounder, 1983
    The Vibrators - Pure Mania : CBS, 1977

16. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

This and the SF release are all top notch. Van live is amazing when hitting on all cylinders, but those 73 shows are probably his best ever.

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Disc 3. This set is addictive.

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

19. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Meat Light. There’s a lot going on here; I like it.

20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Peter Brotzmann Tentet: Live @ Molde 2007

July 20th, 2007

On Okkadisk - low volume master reveals itself at 95% volume

These are towards the beginning of the no charts band - great low brass & low horns - tuba, trombone & beastly baritone & tenor saxophones / 3 long pieces ranging from 12 minutes to 39 minutes.

Oh to have been there.

adamos and US Blues like this.
  21. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

My most recent batch of records, all different and all pretty
    good. Doyle Bramhall II has a new title out that I heard a
    cut from, a former Arc Angel who did some great work in
    their short-lived run; saw them live with Charlie Sexton on
    the other guitar... unforgettable show. Booker Ervin is an old
    jazz great standby who is always enjoyable anytime. Love Jer's
    first record with the bunches of great songs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Disc 4. Somehow, I can't get tired of these songs.

23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Holy Wave - Freaks of Nurture
    Burgundy wax (vinyl)
    [​IMG]

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Debut album by Kate Bush

rockinlazys and Crimson Witch like this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

15 December 1974- Chateau Neuf, Oslo. With Bill Bruford on drums.

GONG.