UNCOMFIRMED REPORT: AC/DC to record new album with Axl Rose

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cubby, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

They should call themselves The Two!

Wait, wrong thread.

GoodKitty and The Beave like this.
  2. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I really like AC/DC, but am not a huge fan like many others here. But I definitely agree with the sentiment that Cliff, Phil and Brian were important components of the band. And Malcolm, arguably, was just as important as Angus (although that ship has sailed, obviously).

Calling it AC/DC seems kinda disingenuous. I realize that to a lot of casual fans out there Angus is AC/DC, but I didn't think the band's brain trust felt that way!

3. Who knows, maybe Wright and Evans are available for a price to hold down rhythm duties.

4. Martijn

Martijn Perfect Sound Forever

Looking forward to it.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Am I the only one who is more miffed that the GNR momentum is going to be blown away by this if it happens?

I see no reason to believe that this couldn't be good, but I'd much rather Axl made nice with Izzy and got into the studio with GNR to make a new album or three.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don't have any interest in either band anymore. That said, if Axl can milk two revenue sources, more power to him.

Brian Doherty and Diamond Dog like this.
  8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Fair enough. I guess it's just the clips I've seen of the "reunited" GNR that make me think the fire is back. If my read is accurate, that could make for a great album if they just go in and make one.

It could also make for a great AC/DC album, so I suppose it's really a win-win from that perspective.

9. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

AXL/ANGUS
    But then it becomes Coverdale/Page or something like that.

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I have no problem with it even though I didn't like what I heard live sung by Axl.

Life/bands go on with major changes all the time. Some with no "original" members at all anymore, or only one. The band name is an important brand name, whether diluted or not representative of the past etc. The music biz is tough enough as it is, they need the brand recognition to make it worth doing and the majority of the buying population probably don't care.

Maybe I'll like it. Maybe I won't. But I'll give it a listen and see.

Robbieboy likes this.
  11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It's about money. Just like Daltrey and Townshend still call it The Who.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

For arena level acts, not even Supertramp or journey lost this many originals. Maybe Toto.

AC/DC went from all 5 Back in Black members down to Angus in just 6-7 years.

Does Angus still have unused Malcolm demo riff ideas kicking around?

13. Stick a fork in them. Or what's left.
    One original member out of five = Tribute band.

14. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

The real question is: what's the over/under on song titles with the word "rock" in them?

I'd say 6.

Matthew Tate and Malina like this.
  15. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

I like it... yes its not the AC/DC but at the same time Angus with Axl doing an album has appeal.... and no it is not a tribute band Shvartze Shabbos if they are recording a NEW album...

I just have trouble believing Axl is putting his ego aside for this... there is no reason other than his love of AC/DC to do this....he makes so much money from the GNR stuff.... it is really incredible..

to me AC/DC techincally stopped being AC/DC when Malcolm had to leave the band...so if it really bothers you dont' call them AC/DC ..its just a name.. but the idea of Axl and Angus together making new music has appeal

dadonred likes this.
  16. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Back In Black only had 2 original members.

BluesOvertookMe and Jonboy like this.
  17. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Ok! I almost pissed my pants !!!!!!

18. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Yes! This is something I could get excited about :righton:

19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I think there would need to be quite a bit of studio manipulation to get Axl to have a fraction of that higher register GnR sound, but it would still be something I'd be much more interested in hearing than a straight forward paint by numbers banger with AC/DC.

20. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Exactly! They should just call it "Angus & Friends" at this point.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Phil Rudd counts as an original member.

Tony Currenti is on High Voltage but he was never an official member. And if you're going to count even earlier that's just silly.

And even if you don't call him original, he was on everything from TNT on, and Cliff was there since Powerage. So...come on. It's totally different.

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Angus can record with whoever he wants

BUT THIS IS NOT AC/DC. Period

Call it AXL/DC, Angus Young's AC/DC or whatever. But with ONE original member, this is no more than tribute act.

23. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

What band? AC/DC only really has Angus left. Not the same chemistry, not the same band. Especially after Malcolm departed.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  24. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

It never was. It was always the Youngs.

erikdavid5000 and the sands like this.
  25. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I love AC/DC but I was more than a bit turned off by the drama of the last year or so and I still think Brian got a raw deal.

Having said that, I own currently 14 AC/DC albums and still love them so I'm pretty much set without needing anything new from the Angus/Axl Project.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.