Confirmed report - Joe Grado has died *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/69/692159.html

• Posted by DannyB (A) on February 6, 2015 at 06:35:16
    The following is posted on behalf of Joe's daughter.

Today the world lost a great leader, creative inventor and entrepreneur in the audio world.
    Joseph Frederick Grado, founder and creator of Grado Labs and Signature Products, passed away this morning. On his behalf, I would like to thank you all for the support of his products, your friendship to my father and for contributing to his success in the audio world.
    Thank you,
    Evelyn Grado-Wolynies

[​IMG]

2. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

If it's true RIP Joe and thanks for some great products.

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Oh wow.....

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This is sad. A friend to audiophiles everywhere.

action pact likes this.
  5. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Hope the company can continue on without his leadership. Maybe they already have been operating without him? In any event, sad loss.

6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Just checked the Grado company website, business as usual. The man is/was a pioneer.

7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Sad news, sincere condolences to his family and friends.

8. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

That's sad news.

9. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Am afraid it's true....here's what has just come up on their Facebook page:

It is with a heavy heart for the Grado family to say that Joseph Grado, founder of Grado Labs and inventor of the stereo moving coil phono cartridge, passed away this morning at the age of 90. In the early 1950s, Joseph began using the skills he gained as a master watchmaker to start crafting phono cartridges on his kitchen table in Brooklyn, New York. He went on to clear out the Grado family fruit store around the corner and in 1953, Grado Laboratories was born.

Joseph guided Grado until 1990 when he passed the torch to his nephew, John Grado, and our headphone era began. For the past two decades, he enjoyed living in South Carolina building and tinkering with anything to do with audio. The Grado family holds Uncle Joe in the highest regard, and without him, not only would we still be working in a fruit store, but we would have never started making headphones.

McLover likes this.
  10. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I see, he hasn't been "managing" Grado for 25 years. Interesting to know that they started making headphones when he passed the torch to the nephew. I thought they had been making headphones before then. Maybe it's the styling that had me thinking that.

11. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Wonderful man
    Was able to speak with him personally, twice, back in the early '90s
    Very gracious with his time

Sorry when these stories come to an end

Analogman

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I had a few Grado cartridges back in the '80s - I still have the Signature 8M somewhere. A legend in our world and a pioneer. He will be remembered.

Rest in Peace, Joe Grado.

13. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident

Sad news. I had a pair of Grado SR125's and even though they weren't really for me a great set of cans nonetheless. I hope the company & family keeps thriving with the loss.

14. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I believe Joseph had introduced the Signature line of headphones prior to passing the torch to John. John certainly expanded the range of designs after he was in charge, but the early Joseph Grado designs are still valued by many.

15. joelongwood

joelongwood Forum Resident

Joe designed and introduced the HP-1000 series of headphones, the first in the company's history. This line consisted of the HP-1, HP-2, and HP-3 headphones. Here's a review of the HP-1 from May 1991. A true audio pioneer. RIP.
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/grado-hp-1-headphones

16. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

RIP Joe Grado.
    -Bill

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Sad news. Sincere condolences to the Grado family. Joe Grado created a legacy in audio.
    Joe's HP line of headphones back in the early 90s is what started Grado Labs on headphones. The headphones were designed to be monitor headphones for Joe Grado's opera recordings. Not only did he design and build phono cartridges and headphones, but also sang opera and did recording. Joe's headphones were and are exceptional monitoring headphones, especially for vocal.

18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yep. He created a microphone or three as well for his own use.
    -Bill

19. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

RIP, Joe.

Revolver likes this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

RIP, Joe. You made many nice cartridges, tonearms, and headphones. And always a fine watchmaker, opera singer, audio company founder and designer. And your gracious and friendly demeanor made you many friends, including me. And above all, your legacy means much, and you will never be forgotten. And your son, John is very much in your mold. Go rest high on that mountain. My condolences to all the Grado family. My heart is extended. A very sad loss.

action pact and littleugly like this.
  21. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Active Member

Only a few of the good ones are left.

See you around, Joe.

22. pcfchung

pcfchung Forum Resident

Our good friend Martin gave us the sad news on Facebook.
    I was talking to Joe on the phone regularly and he always had great stories to tell. When his dear wife Brigitte was still with us, I talked to her as well. She was fighting Cancer already at the time. Joe took on the role as a 'doctor' and started monitoring the treatment process. I thought it was extraordinary that at an advance age, he would start doing research into this and put it into practice. He said afterwards that what he did prolonged Brigitte's life by two years.
    I will always treasure his HP1000, his opera singing; and his wisdom too.

action pact likes this.
  23. action pact

The legacy that Mr. Grado created appears to be secure in the hands of his nephew, John, who currently owns and manages Grado Laboratories, and John's sons, Matthew and Jonathan, who are poised to take over the business down the road.

Indeed, one of the things that makes me feel good about purchasing Grado products is the fact that they are a multi-generational family business that does nearly all of their manufacturing in the USA. My understanding is every Grado product, with the exception of the iGrado portable headphones, is made in their Brooklyn factory.

Speaking of which, this is the legendary former fruit stand where every Grado cartridge has been made, since 1953! The family lives on the top floor!

[​IMG]

Peter Pyle, Dan C and gregorya like this.
  24. action pact

Joe was the last of the hifi pioneers from the golden age. There are none left.

Jacob Johnson likes this.
  25. action pact

Great post today on AudioKarma:

Originally Posted by luvvinvinyl [​IMG]
    RIP, Joe Grado.

In preparation for a Fest, a few years ago, I sent an email to Grado Labs marketing department, asking for a doorprize. I got an email back from Joe, himself, asking me to call him ([​IMG]) as he had a few questions. I called and talked with him for about an hour. He had visited AK, and read a bunch, and was glad for the future of audio. It didn't hurt that Grado carts have a decent rep here, notwithstanding the 'hum' issue. I couldn't talk him into joining. He said that he had too much stuff to do, without taking on another hobby. Apparently, even though John was running the company, Joe had input, even into his mid-80s.

Joe was just a great guy, very personable, and funny. I so enjoyed the conversation. I was hoping to get him to tell me about some of his accomplishments, maybe a 'warstory' or two from back in the day. Joe would have none of that, not that he was rude about it. He wanted to know about me, my tastes in music and gear, what about my friends' systems, etc. Talked about family, other interests, his and mine, funny stories from our jobs. Just the greatest time. He ended the conversation by telling me that he would send out something for us.

"Something" turned out to be several pairs of headphones, and a double-handful of cartridges, along with a note wishing us well.

I've spoken with Joe Grado, Joseph D'Appolito, and Winslow Burhoe, at various times. All three of them are extremely well-grounded and well-rounded individuals. All of them struck me as guys you would just like to hang out with, and enjoy a couple of beers and some conversation. People like that are rare, indeed. I consider myself fortunate to have done so. Music today is on my SR80s, in remembrance of an audio pioneer and a great guy.

StimpyWan and McLover like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.