Uncut Magazine - 200 Greatest Albums Of All Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nedryerson982

nedryerson982 Member

Also props for including "No Other" - unexpected and well deserved.

Crispy Rob and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  2. I now have 107 of these but more interestingly to me, I have the complete Top 35 sans The Smiths album which I owned from new in 1986 but sold off before 1987!

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The Queen is Dead is a much better record.

ndoheny likes this.
  4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The Uncut list does appear to be the sour grapes rantings of a middle aged British white guy whose employers have been turned down for interviews from U2, REM, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, The Wailers, and The Police.
    The usual grossly overrated albums inevitably appear.

"Marquee Moon" by Television
    "Astral Weeks" by Van Morrison
    "Pet Sounds" by Beach Boys
    "Doolittle" by the Pixies
    "Horses" by Patti Smith
    "Forever Changes" by Love
    "Blue" by Joni Mitchell
    "OK Computer" by Radiohead
    "Nevermind" by Nirvana
    "Blonde on Blonde" by Bob Dylan

HenryFly likes this.
  5. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

why throwing up a lonesome jazz album (A Love Supreme) in an otherwise rock-based chart? And what an album, I'd say.

dennis the menace likes this.
  6. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

...and...In The Court Of The Crimson King? :wave:

7. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I have 135 albums on the list. Some of those I don't have is perhaps lacking in the collection. I think Uncut could DJ'ed at my party without having to throw them out and dance to silence instead. :bdance:

8. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Turtlenecks 2: Electric Boogaloo.:pineapple:

Synthfreek likes this.
  9. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

This list is alarming. Our beloved music is in a deplorable state.
    The first 21st century record is at 72: LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver (2007)

10. What gets me about these lists is that they're nearly all "classic rock", "alternative", "progressive rock" and, surprise surprise, Public Enemy because there's always at least one "groundbreaking" hiphop title in these lists. Now I'm not saying we should all be crazy about disco, synthpop, techno or, Heaven forbid, metal. But certainly there's room for just a little of that. I'm going to check the list again and make sure my statement is accurate.

[Edit]--> OK, I'll correct myself, there's a little synthpop in the 100's, No Iron Maiden? No Elton John? The guy has 30+ albums, surely one of them would have been good enough for this list. And I'm surprised that "Nevermind" by Nirvana is not on this list. I'm not a fan of theirs at all but so many people go gaga over that album.

Look, what I'm saying is any list is subjective. At best, use this as a springboard to find some new music, but take it with a grain of salt. I mean, not any AC/DC at all? Who wrote this list?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  11. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

143. Almost there...

12. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

you have a point on all of these, except Doolittle. I don't see how you could claim that is overrated unless you don't actually like the band. The rest have become statement pieces, and sort of necessitate mention due to "HISTORY" -

13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

This is a pretty good list, but who determines the order? Is there some type of voting process or is this list simply an opinion of one or two journalists?

Rock66 likes this.
  14. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

55...fail:nyah::doh:o_O:mad::cussing::crazy::wtf:

15. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

55...fail:nyah::doh:o_O:mad::cussing::crazy::wtf::shake:

16. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Can were a German band, I beg your pardon

17. Pete Evans

Pete Evans Well-Known Member

I agree 're Stevie and would add Steely Dan. Six or seven imperious albums in the 70s and The Nightfly is also a masterpiece !

deany76 likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I used to love lists like this when I was a teenager. Pre-internet they got me into a lot of albums that are now favourites of mine.

Now that information is more readily available and so much more of it too, I don't see the point in these lists, except to fill an issue in a magazine that has nothing substantial to put on the cover that month.

Most Uncut readers will be older music obsessives with big collections. I can't see the point in telling these people what they think the greatest albums ever are. These articles take up a lot of pages and say very little.

I don't mind NME doing articles like this as they have a young readership who will be just getting interested in the history of music or the influences of bands they like. But Uncut readers don't need telling how great Highway 61 Revisited is!

mianfei, It's Felix and shaboo like this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Having said all that above. Orange Juice is in there, all is forgiven Uncut! It would possibly make my top 20.

One of my friends works for Uncut (not a journalist) and that is his favourite ever album. He got me into it. He'll have voted for it and he's almost certainly played it to other Uncut staff. 65's an unexpectedly high placing, but in my opinion not high enough!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Beamish13 likes this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Most of these albums are indeed "grossly overrated"* , but that doesn't mean that most of them aren't great anyway.
    I think for some of them, "you had to be there" to "get it."

*Blonde on Blonde deserves all of the accolades it receives.

shaboo, Man at C&A and rednax like this.
  21. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Are all those Uncut guides and histories available digitally for international buyers? What about the monthly issue? And does anybody know which is the best plataform or app to read digital magazines?

22. mianfei

mianfei Forum Resident

The list is basically far too predictable, but there are kudos for Laura Nyro and Joanna Newsom. I myself would have New York Tendaberry and The Milk-Eyed Mender in the Top 25 – and Hejira, which was not on those Top 500s at all, as a candidate for #1 – but these personal considerations aside, the list contains hardly anything else not found on other lists I have seen.

Of the other artists unrepresented in the Top 500 lists by Rolling Stone and NME:
    • The Hangman’s Beautiful Daughter is a deserved choice – it was on the best albums lists of Joe S. Harrington (#88) and David Keenan which seriously altered my thoughts back in the early to middle 2000s – and even if it is difficult at first it is a really good album
    • Solid Air – which I own but have not listened to for many years – is not really an unpredictable choice especially for a British magazine. I did like it on first hearing but probably need another serious listen
    • I have never liked Syd Barrett’s voice or been impressed by Piper (or any era of Floyd), so I do not imagine I would enjoy The Madcap Laughs
    • I have never heard Paris 1919 or anything by John Cale outside the Velvets, and whether their famously lauded debut has not been surpassed by its emulators is a serious question
    • I have never heard 3 + 3 or – consciously – anything by the Isley Brothers
    • I have never heard The Heart of the Congos or anything related, and have too much music to listen to for it to be a priority
    • I have never heard The Only Ones, and do not imagine liking it if I did
    • I have never heard of Sulk by The Associates before
    • The Nightfly, as Rolling Stone said in 1992, sounds like Steely Dan, and it is not as good as any of their first five albums

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just updated my list...

1. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds - 1966
    37. The Kinks - The Kinks Are The Village Green Society - 1968
    46. Michael Jackson - Off The Wall - 1979
    59. Prince - Sign O The Times - 1987
    122. Prince - Parade - 1986
    135. The Beach Boys - Surfs Up - 1971
    169. T.Rex - Electric Warrior - 1971
    171. Prince - Purple Rain - 1984
    180. Michael Jackson - Thriller - 1982
    195. T.Rex - The Slider - 1972

Darryl

24. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Don't you think there might be a reason why these albums usually and inevitably appear in most top albums listing ? You not liking them don't make them overated.

It's Felix likes this.
  25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I never said I didn't like them. But magazines tend to pick their album lists based on the magazine demographic. It gets boring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.