Uncut Magazine - 200 Greatest Albums Of All Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

It's out of fashion, like the Doors....

2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Nothing The Doors released sounds as dated as Sgt. Pepper.

vegafleet likes this.
  3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I know its a quiet time of year for releases and most of the mags have already done Bowie in the last few months, the new Mojo has the 40th anniversary of Sex Pistols and punk. But best 200 albums and when I had a brief look there didn't seem to be much writing about the albums. Probably been said many times already on this thread but a very lazy edition of Uncut and certainly not worthy of nearly £5 of my money. I noticed this edition was extremely thin also.

4. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Relevant music albums started around 1963? Riiiiiiiight.

5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Highly subjective.

And what's wrong with sounding 'dated' anyway?

I'd rather listen to Pepper than any of the **** that's in the charts nowadays.

6. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

Best albums of the last 30 years? Take any Anouar Brahem album and its worth more than the complete Smiths discography! And a like The Smiths, a lot, i have all of their albums, but is baffling how easily people throw around the phrase "best of all time", and it's also baffling how limited people's tastes can be. Believe me, search for any ECM's release from the last 5 years, or any Tzadik's release from the last 5 years, and you'll find tons of stuff that are much better than The Smiths.

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Have you read pop music criticism in the New York Times lately? Their all-male line-up of critics has gone full hip-hop/pop, with a narrow band of jazz, country, world and female artistes like Bjork and Joanna Newsom included for alt-cult cred, and traditional rock canon stuff like this Uncut list treated as the worst, most embarassing Dad-rock imaginable. "Grime" is the new peak of artistic greatness.

Check out their 2015 year-end best-of lists — they've thrown most of this Uncut/Mojo history into the memory hole.

Vinyl_Blues and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Ha, no I have not, thanks for the heads-up. That sounds like a knee-jerk thing, not optimal either...

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Should be "Uncut's what Urban Outfitter told us was great" list.

Brother Maynard likes this.
  10. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

No "Day In the Life", No Radiohead. No Radiohead, no modern rock music at all. Dated, my foot.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  11. Poxy Bowsy

And just now i noticed, where is Elton ****ing John on this list?!

12. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Pet Sounds is No. 1 because it is the Anti-No. 1
    Dads that want to be the Cool Dad.
    :rolleyes::sigh::laughup:
    For reference see....
    [​IMG]

Stone Turntable likes this.
  13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

After checking out several other such lists, I take back what I said: This one is pretty much business as usual, and not all that much worse than most others.

We should come up with our own forum-approved list of the 100 or 200 greatest albums. Or has that already happened? And if it hasn't, is it doable?

14. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

laughable list....
    so wrong in so many ways.
    not worth the time to list 'em.

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The lack of much post 1997 stands out and one of those listed must be the only LP I ever purchased that I couldn't listen to all the way through (Ys, Joanna Newsom). Considering what they missed out I can't think of anything in the last 17 years that should be in a top 200 (would be a Steve Wilson album if anything or XTC Apple Venus). Sgt Pepper may not be the best album or even Beatles album but it is surprisingly low on that list. I'm sure JN and Rap albums have been included to make them look trendy and cool.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I have always liked lists.

When I didn't know jack about anything (as if I do now), I found them as sort as a road map to seek out new music. Tower Records used to put out Pulse Magazine that they would give out. I always like the Desert Island picks by the customers. When someone had listed a bunch of LPs I like and some I never had heard about. I felt good going after those I had never heard of from before.

It is always easy to rant on the lists, but make your own. Share your lists.

mschrist, davers, Vinyl_Blues and 3 others like this.
  17. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I think its a pretty decent list. Albums I'm surprised to see missing (each of which is my #1 album of the year they came out):

Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair
    Suede - Dog Man Star
    Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Weezer - Pinkerton
    The Strokes - Is This It
    Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

Carlox and Jim B. like this.
  18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

You were expecting something different from this place?

I have 132 of them.

19. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Sgt Pepper is now so unhip it is cool again, in my book.

Stripped of the hype, I have recently renewed my acquaintance with the album, with fresh ears--and it certainly does it for me.

e.s., Brother Maynard and bobcat like this.
  20. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

With regard to Beastie Boys they've got the excellent Check Your Head, but can find no space for Paul's Boutique. which is far more acclaimed..(I think)

Maybe PB has now completed it's critical reappraisal, and is on the way down? :rolleyes:

PS also no Psychocandy !! (could have least swapped it out for one of the MBV albums)

basie-fan and sparkmeister like this.
  21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

No Dire Straits! Criminal. :) But not surprising.

Carlox and Brother Maynard like this.
  22. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I have no issue with it not being in the Top 10.

The reason I'd say for it slowly dropping down the list is that it was partly there in the first place because writers remembered it being released and its cultural impact. The further we go away from 1967, the more it has to stand purely on its musical merits. Forget influence, just think about what's on it.

23. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Based purely on it's musical merits, would you consider it top 10 material?

24. Poxy Bowsy

One does not simply make a list of the consensus top 100 greatest albums of all time. Boromir knows that, and i know that too.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, it has happened.
    But I think it is totally doable. (again) We just need a thread and a volunteer compiler. Not it! :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.