Under $500 Speaker Review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rattlin' Bones, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ya know, I just gotta wonder why there is no UB6? Especially as there is a Debut 2x6.5" tower?
    In other ELAC news, I laughed to see their Black Satin models carry "BS" in the model number. Kinda like how Chevrolet was trying to sell the Nova (="No Va"="No Go") in Spanish markets :laugh:

jasn likes this.
  2. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

Yes: BS is a very poor choice for a product marketed in USA :biglaugh:

3. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I find it interesting that there is a presumed, and promoted at times, mutual exclusivity between the two markets. As if somehow a speaker can't excel at both music and movies.

timind likes this.
  4. Rattlin' Bones

I would suspect AV HT is a larger market than hi-fi???

5. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Have had the Wharfedale 225's for only a couple of days, but this is my experience as well. They are definitely somewhat colored and warmer, but I'm really enjoying the sound they put out. They also are not fatiguing at all, likely because they are softening some of the brightness you are hearing in a more accurate sounding speaker. So far, I'm very happy with them in my small listening space.

crazy eights, timind and JackG like this.
  6. jasn

jasn Forum Resident

Being a Uni-Fi owner (F5's and a C5), I can verify that they drive easily and fully using either a 125 W/ch MArantz AVR (SR7010) and/or a 60W Bob Latino ST120 tube amp. An NAD amp switch allows me to choose and I prefer the tubes for 2-ch (of course!).

7. Rattlin' Bones

They're rated at just 85db, so that's on lower end of sensitivity; at a given power level it would not be as loud as some other speakers being discussed. Plus they're floor speakers, which is a whole different animal than desktop bookshelf. Still, my fav right now is rated 86.5 and I find it sufficient for my needs.

8. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Great speaker when listening for pleasure, absolutely.

9. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

HT speakers aren't allowed to sound good, didn't you know that's in the rules? :shh::laugh:

10. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

RE: Under $500USD.
    The Klipsch RP series is on clearance right now. I was able buy the bookshelf RP-160m for $439USD/pair Piano Gloss. The RP-150m even less.
    Klipsch has the RP2 line out now, hence the discounts. I just have the 160's for straight 2.0 stereo listening. The updated model basically cosmetic.
    Caveat: room placement ca be tricky; once you find it, they are fantastic. Used YPAO EQ assist. Love 'em.

H8SLKC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.