Under The Dome (tv series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dance Mxyzptlk

Dance Mxyzptlk Forum Resident

JBL EON's. Good choice for a bomb shelter.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I don't watch much tv. I'm trying to stick with it, but there are at least 3 or 4 "oh please" moments in every episode.

The most annoying thing for me is how they keep calling the skinny chick's family her "moms".

How about her "parents"?

I think this episode might have been my favorite so far, so I guess I'm in for 45 more minutes at least. Lol

3. I stopped watching when I read that this was not a mini series but will be continued as a regular series for perhaps several seasons -no thanks.

4. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I just finished Monday's episode. I read it was good so I picked up watching again. Who ever posted about the deputy not understanding military time was spot on. I have quit again. I know the show is different then the book, but at the end of the episode where is the wind coming from? I didn't like how these small town people seem to use people's full name all the time.

5. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I know. I agree. This is not a strong enough concept or storyline to warrant being stretched into season(s). Plus, it's just me but I have Post-Traumatic-LOST-Disorder and so I cannot risk huge amounts of time on what might be an asinine conclusion. I am still going to follow it because at this point it is still interesting.

Dan

Pete Puma and Vidiot like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Funniest line of the thread! :righton:

The conclusion is in the 1100-page novel, if you want to read it (1 page). The producers claim, however, that they're going to change the ending somewhat (with King's permission), but I suspect it'll be along the same lines. The big clue is the kids' convulsions -- not a spoiler.

They already had a huge change from the book when, in the show, Big Jim has discovered his son's little problem. That sure didn't happen in the book, and it makes everything weirder for me.

The series just got renewed (!!!) for another season, but I can't see how they can drag this out for another 12 hours.

7. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

They can CSI the show. Under The Dome: Miami, Under The Dome: New York, Under The Dome: Dallas until the end of time.

mrjinks, LEONPROFF and jriems like this.
  8. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Maybe the dome just keeps reappearing. Season 1, finale: "We're free!" Next day (which is season 2, episode 1): "Argh! It's back!" This keeps happening season after season until everyone finally wises up and leaves town when the dome goes briefly goes away.

9. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Or maybe "Under The Dome", "Beneath Under The Dome", "Escape From Under The Dome", "Conquest of Under The Dome" and "Battle For Under The Dome"?

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

within 5 minutes last night:

the female sheriff was standing in the rain and her shirt was not even wet.

the people standing 5 feet behind her were in bright sunlight

they were holding buckets up in the air over their heads to catch the rain, wouldn't the bucket catch the same amount sitting on the ground?

they were dumping the fresh water from the buckets into dented, dirty garbage cans to save for later use.

just careless, "who gives a s**t" production.

and i, and millions of others, keep watching:crazy:

mrjinks, rburly and LEONPROFF like this.
  11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It rains inside a Dome?

12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

:laugh:Yeah...yeah...same here. Bloody show is addictive, that's for sure, even my wife (who can't stand Stephen King) is like, "Ooh...Under The Dome is on tonight!" We set our Monday evening around this damned show now, order pizza or Chinese and whatnot...

I do agree about the myriad of production faux pas on the show, though...you'd think considering the thing has both Stephen King and Steven Spielberg's names attached to it that the quality control would be just a little bit better.

13. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

It is for sure not perfect, but it is entertaining. I try to overlook some of the flaws and realize it is in reality only a TV series. I dont rank it up there with huge budget movies, that take a year to make 2 hours of show time.
    After reading a lot about tv production, im shocked that shows like this are even able to be made on time and finished.

14. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

When the rain stopped the mayhem in the street my wife and I looked at each other and said "well, that was convenient". I can look over bad production and weekly weak story lines (and a weekly slice of cow, too) but need to care what happens to characters in a program. I could not care less about any of these domed citizens.

I'm out.

15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Please! No franchising!

Dan

16. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I think the point though, was it was not convenient so much, but the dome of whatever is controlling it, did it intentionally.....

Dave and kevywevy like this.
  17. I also noticed that it was very sunny behind the digital rain. I was initially very annoyed with the many changes from the book in this series but I think the Big Jim/Junior/Girlfriend arc just got interesting. I don't care much for the rest of the goings on but I'm curious about what happens next between those three.

18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

If only she would stop screaming. I liked her character when she was a nurse, but as soon as she started that high pitched squealing I lost all sympathy for her.

19. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

For everyone complaining about this series just think about it this way...AT LEAST IT'S NOT ANOTHER REALITY TV SHOW! It's an actual scripted dramatic show, keep watching them so they don't all get replaced with "Real Stepmoms of Big Brother's Kitchen Nightmare".

20. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Man is this show Dumb.. And i thought Sharknado was bad. I keep watching but last night might be my last one. So many plot holes and unbelievable stuff happening. A delivery truck that runs into the water tank. What was he delivering? The girl running away is found by Barbie who I believe last episode was told by her brother that she was missing. Earlier in the day people walking around like nothing has changed after a bombing then a riot breaks out. 2 huge propane tanks that take no time at all to get to the farmer. Where were they this whole time that nobody in the town could have seen them. Still can't figure out how there is so much wind in the dome.

21. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Yeah, this isn't exactly a Peter Weir film, is it? I can't tell if some of the acting is campy on purpose or just poorly directed. The jury is still out. I mean, the scenes between Jim and the farmer were really tense, arguably more tense than the riot scenes. And Angie is still like listening to worn city bus brakes squealing, but I can give them that she is traumatized by having been held captive.

We don't know that the truck was delivering something, but it sure said "King's" on it, haw, haw, haw. Not.

Oh, and A) Let's move someone who has just been in a truck crash, because B) water falling on you is dangerous(ok, maybe the water pressure could have injured him further); C) Let's not make even a small attempt to capture any of THAT water, but D) let's put buckets out to catch the rain water. Am I missing something?

And what is up with the dialogue? Are they afraid to use words with more than two syllables? That scene with the rain where Barbie and the reporter kiss might have been more effective without ANY dialogue. She says, reassuringly, for no apparent reason, "We're gonna be OK." Oh, shut the frig up. I think I almost reached out to Cali and threw Marc's copy of the book at the wall.

Is THIS what network notes do to a show?

The last scene between Angie and Jim became very interesting, where one can imagine perhaps a hierarchy or power structure forming here. There is potential, but many events have the plausibility of an episode of Spongebob.

I want to like this show, but each episode is getting more challenging to watch. Getting awfully close to "bots" territory here. Might have one episode left.

Dan

22. progrocker71

Watched that scene tonight, it's self reassurance, I don't believe she was speaking to Barbie. In that context it makes sense.

The show is fairly mediocre but there are some good sequences, the attack scene in the diner was intense. Overall it is interesting enough for me to finish the season.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  23. A show of this type requires a lot more foresight and planning than a typical drama, unfortunately it doesn't look like the writers have thought through all the details and logistics of living in a self-contained dome. It does get pretty silly and stupid at times, though a few episodes have been entertaining to a degree. I suspect many of us will be disappointed in the answers they provide for the Dome.

24. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

This is the type of show that British TV could do much better sadly.

It is not horrible, and the main idea is intriguing, but its very addictive in some ways. To me there is enough good stuff to outweigh some of the bad.

And that redhead reporter is cute as hell, and big jim and angie, that story is interesting. The 2 lesbian "mom's" as they like to call it, not all that interesting really.

At least it is not another Reality show.

The problem I see, there are very few shows of this type made anymore, reality shows about everything under the sun are dominating sadly.

25. progrocker71

No doubt! I remember seeing her on Charmed years ago and thinking "who the hell is that?!"

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.