Under The Dome (tv series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

The thing that is bothering me the most is the way they make each episode "the one about sickness" "the one about the drinking water" "the one about the bomb" and they try to jam a tidy conclusion in the last 30 seconds of each episode.

It would be much better if they could keep more than one idea going at once.

I'm still hanging on by a thread. The rain episode irritated the hell out of me.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The show's ratings have actually gone UP. Go figure.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm almost at strike three with this show, when I start pressing >> to get thru the predictable crap, it's almost the end for me.

4. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

It's summer rerun time, so there is not so much competition.

5. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Americans like mindless TV I guess. I'm watching the show, but like others here find some of the acting/writing laughable. Sometimes I watch the "extras" in some of the scenes and the looks on their faces and body reactions to the main characters look so lame to drag down the rest of the scene they are in.
    I, too, wonder how a show that is really pretty mediocre is getting such high ratings. The last commercial for the TV show I saw on CBS claims that 40 million (or was it 20 million) people are watching!!! (REALLY ???) Actual ratings put it between 11 and 13 million - still mind boggling see how pedestrian the show seems to be.

I just actually finished watching "The Orange is the New Black" - a Netflix streaming show only - and thought it was worlds better than Under the Dome. But that's just me, I guess.

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The show has the name "Stephen King" attached it, that alone is going to bring in some viewers. And as was stated earlier it's summer and there really isn't much else on.

And while it may have flaws it is still a better show than crap like Revolution or V.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is sadly true.

Note that King has announced that he'll be writing the script for the first show for next season.

8. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Current season is coming out on DVD/BD. With the "extras". Didn't catch the date, just saw the blip Monday night.

9. The show is also being streamed to Amazon Prime members for free, which I think is driving viewers to it. Most people are starved for dramatic content in a summer of horrible blockbusters.

10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Do you realize the sunlight behind the rain, etc was not a mistake. It was ONLY raining inside the dome - outside the dome it was still sunny. The sun we saw while it was raining in the dome was the sunlight coming from outside the dome.

Therefore, I don't believe the sun shining while it was raining was a mistake.

Dave likes this.
  11. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

If you have ever lived or been to Hawaii this happens almost daily.
    In upcountry Maui I can be on one side of the House where it will be pouring and the other side not a drop of rain and as bright as can be. This lasts for a few minutes at a time and then it's over.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no no no

it was the people in the street, seriously 5 feet behind the speaking actors.

it was terrible , just terrible.

no excuses.

kevywevy likes this.
  13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yeah :). Is the mailman still delivering the mail? The UPS guy delivering packages? And how are the Sox doing? :)

14. progrocker71

I'm thinking that people complaining about wind inside the dome or sunlight being visible while it is raining have forgotten that films/tv shows are filmed IN THE REAL WORLD and some things are out of your control.

Would you rather they film inside in front of green screens so there won't be any wind?
    Should they hold up production for weeks while they wait for it to actually rain?

Of course not, that would be STUPID, almost as stupid as the nitpicking about those things.

15. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Not in the book.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Good points. The propane is for the meth making that big Jim and the dead undertaker were making. They talked about it but did not show it. In the book there is no wind. The delivery truck really got me laughing.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

it makes a nice summer show....

18. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

You say nitpicking,I say it pulls me out of believing they are in a dome, doesn't follow the book, and makes a major scene that has been alluded to a joke. I can't say more without giving too much away. Sunlight I can stomach, the dome could be reflecting things weird. You should be able to film those scenes with wind cropped or framed so you don't see the tree's blowing and no need of green screen. For me it makes it hard to believe in the context of the show and it is a lot easier to see then a gas can on a chariot.

19. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I live in Minnesota and I have been rained on when the sun is shining.

Dance Mxyzptlk and jriems like this.
  20. progrocker71

So then you just need CGI so the actors hair isn't blowing, their clothes aren't rippling, etc. People looking for complete and utter realism in a science-fiction show where the main plot could never actually happen in real life might just want to watch documentaries instead.

Doug Sclar likes this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

This thread is more entertaining than the series.

Scott222C and Tony Caldwell like this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Just finished watching this week's episode...Have to say the lousy dialog and often lousy acting is making this feel more and more like Revolution Pt. Deux. I am (barely) hanging on, but against my better judgement at this point.

23. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Seriously. I live in Florida, and it happens all the time. It's called a sun shower. There are far more legitimately stupid things on this show to be nitpicked.

Vidiot and rburly like this.
  24. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I know this is not real but I am sure that there are hundreds of shows that were filmed outdoors that don't have gusts of wind blowing through out the show. For a major plot point that they are inside a dome, don't you think maybe they would try to find a place to shoot that is not so windy. Unless they explain somewhere down the line why there is wind, although I might not wait that long to find out.

25. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Well if it can rain in the dome, why can't there be wind?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.