Under The Dome (tv series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I keep watching it. :sigh: I watched several episodes of Lost[ and have the almost the same feeling I did back then.

If this show without a story continues, I'm gone. I keep seeing Dean Norris and thinking "I hope Hank gets blown away."

2. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Well, nice seeing ya! :) The show has been signed for a 2nd season. I'm not a King fan, but this show has me glued to the seat.

3. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Barbie will be very busy digging those graves with "military corners". That made me laugh. :laugh:

4. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

So, uh, did anyone remove the corpse of the Diner's late proprieter from its kitchen bench before re-opening?
    Presumably the food hygiene inspectors are all outside the dome.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, the girl (Angie) and friend (Benny) cleaned up the diner and dug a hole for the former Diner manager Rose. None of this was in the novel, to my knowledge -- in fact, the girl did, in fact, get murdered by the crazy son while in the bomb shelter in the book. So they're veering quite a bit away from the novel's storyline.

Call me crazy, but I'm kind of enjoying the show, despite its divergence from the novel. The characters are fairly appealing, and I like that they're stringing us along with more details about the origins of the Dome (though I'm convinced they won't pan out any more than the novel did).

6. Not quite. The son murdered her in the book (right at the beginning, not a spoiler for the tv show) but she was in her house. The bomb shelter didn't come into play (and it didn't involve the son) until almost the end.

7. D Schnozzman

I'm enjoying it as a bit of escapism. At our place we tend to guffaw inappropriately at characters' deaths, like when the loony deputy's bullet ricocheted off the dome into the other deputy. It was a bit weird this week seeing Big Jim the night after seeing Hank Schrader's confrontation with Walt. Big Jim doesn't quite have the gravitas of Hank.
    A shame to see Leon Rippy dispatched so quickly too.
    I haven't read the book.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Exactly. I laugh out loud at tons of stuff in the show that's stupid. I'm still aghast that Hank -- excuse me, "Big Jim" -- doesn't just shoot the guy with the water and take it. No doubt, this is coming.

I remember the bodies starting to smell... but no question, the ex-girlfriend certainly didn't last long, let alone get rescued by Big Jim. That's a weird change for them to do in the show.

Note also how they're making Big Jim a much more admirable character than in the book. In the book, everything he does has got an ulterior motive; in the show, he seems to care about how much the townspeople are suffering and is trying to help -- in addition to making money with his nefarious side-businesses.

9. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Monarch will be crowned is only in the tv show. Pink stars falling is in both. Apparitions I don't remember. I know they saw something.

10. Considering the number of people who die every episode I doubt there will be a food shortage much longer.

Craig likes this.
  11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The funeral guy will make a killing!

12. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

People are dying to do business with him (yuk yuk yuk)

13. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Uh, wouldn't they consider eating the dead people if there was no other food?

14. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

I'm enjoying this show. Didnt read the book, dont care about the book.

I caught myself getting really annoyed with the Joe character always having that same worrying / questioning / raised-eyebrows look all the time. Then I remembered that little kid in TV version of ''The Shining'' from the 90's. God, I hated the look on that kids face, he ruined that whole mini-series for me. At least this Joe character is only annoying (so far).

15. D Schnozzman

Big Jim offed the funeral guy a couple of episodes back. That's why people are digging holes with military corners.
    For any fans of Viz comics out there, that guy reminded me of Paul Whicker the Tall Vicar.

16. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Was so glad to see "the water guy" wasted. Greed....will get you EVERYTIME.

17. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I know I'm cross-referencing shows, but that doesn't bode well for Walt on Breaking Bad, does it? ... ;)

18. Well, if they like their dead a few days/weeks old :D

19. JohnG

Oh that sucks, he would have made a killing. :D

20. JohnG

It's also funny that the DJ guy has taken up arms and then gets shot, get back in that radio booth DJ Guy! :)

21. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I'm not too critical of this show overall, I guess. It is a decent distraction. I'm mostly bothered by how slow it moves. A lot of this action that is spread across multiple shows could be packed into one really amazing episode. I'd rather have watched these 13 (is it?) episodes over, say, 4 or 6 jam-packed, action- and suspense-filled episodes than they're doing now. Dragging things out like this just gives us lots of opportunity to question things that, in a tighter schedule, might not have been so obvious.

I am still stunned no one has turned The Gunslinger into a series. There are always murmurs of something coming, and then they disappear. Maybe the success of this will light some fires under HBO, Showtime, Netflix, whoever, and get it made. I will subscribe to see that!

22. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

great take on the series. Last I heard Ron Howard had the rights to the Dark Tower, but if whoever does to the Dark Tower what they did to Dome, I and many others will be really pissed.

23. I would only trust HBO to handle a series like the Dark Tower with care. It simply can't be made on network television.

Vidiot and agentalbert like this.
  24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

I just re-read the DT short "The Little Sisters Of Eluria" (appears in Everything's Eventual) and thought it would make a cool standalone short film. Too bad the series Masters Of Horror isn't still going, cause it would have been cool if someone did that (or some other short segment of the DT) rather than try and take on the entire epic.

25. The plot thus far:

russian-dolls.jpg

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.