Under The Dome (tv series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

impossible....nothing could possibly be as insipid as 'under the dunb".

Vidiot likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Do all the haters watch the show and then come here and bash it?

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Yeah that's pretty much it.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nope. I dropped it after a handful of episodes in season 1. I come here to marvel at how people can continue to watch this even when they hate it (a concept I still can't understand).

5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Honestly, I'm still watching out of curiosity. Waiting to see what original cast member will be knocked off next. The back and forth BS got on my nerves last week, wonder if this is a trend for the season.

Gotta give it to them though......a show originally slated for one season now in the third season. Maybe it IS the Boob Tube........

Vidiot likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I read the book and gotten to know the characters. I find it entertaining enough. Not sure how much more they can stretch out it though.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I get the strong feeling that the actor had a reluctance in playing a character as reprehensible and evil as the "Big Jim" from the book. His son is not even 10% as bad as the same character in the book. They really, really tried too hard to make these characters likable on some level.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yes- as much as Big Jim and Junior are yer archetypal Stephen King over the top villains in the book on the TV show they're nothing of the sort...it's as though the writers honestly can't decide if Big Jim on the TV version is a good guy or a bad guy. I wouldn't be surprised if even Dean Norris has read through a script or two pre-filming and thought, "What the hell are they trying to do with my character here?" They're gonna give the poor bugger an identity crisis before too long...

Vidiot likes this.
  9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

The "book" Big Jim, as diabolical as he is, helps make it a better read. Yes, you could never make the Dean Norris character fly like that. But he has enough evil in him for a TV bad guy. For the show to work, Big Jim Lite (and maybe even Junior) must go down in a ball of flames. This is the magic formula of Stephen King. As for the other main characters, Barbie, Julia -- I actually like the TV versions a bit more. I just wish they'd develop their faults a little better. After all, isn't that what this story is all about? Redemption for those imperfect personas...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  10. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I wanna see Red and the Barbie's new preggo girl get into a long drawn out street fight like in "They Live" and toss each other around.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Way, way too much of this show feels like the writers are throwing a bunch of crap at the wall just to see what sticks.

RDriftwood likes this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Well...somebody had to say it! Yer probably right, and like I said before: Executive Producer or not, I wonder what Stephen King thinks of how they've adapted his book (a book that he seemed quite proud of) now?

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

tonight......................................dumb!

can't wait to how much more stupid it can get.

14. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

julia never has a bad hair day, jeans always perfectly tight and neat, they know that since angie died julie is it.

what happened to the scientist girl?

16. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He doesn't care. He gets paid, and (as he's often said), his books haven't been changed -- every word of the novel is still the same. The book is the book, the show is the show.

18. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I watched last season and also the premier of season 2. After about 5 minutes of last night's episode.....I'm done

19. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I have to say, the scene in Episode 2 of this new third season where the Helgenberger character is talking to Melanie in the underground cave has to be the most obvious, ham-fisted, gobbledygook bit of exposition I may have ever seen on a TV show. It was painfully obviously a HUGE amount of exposition for something the writers clearly don’t want to take the time to actually show on screen (they essentially want her to be the new bad guy and clearly wanted two new faces in the dome, and everything else including explaining how and why they’re there is not important), and it was a nearly SNL level of clunky sci-fi parlance (“you didn’t get the egg so they could all be injected with the LIFE-FORCE!”).

The premier episode also had one of the all-time awesome lines. Big Red tells Melanie how she found out all the crap that happened and caught Melanie (e.g. “How did Junior get out of the pod unless you cut him out?”, or whatever the explanation was), and Melanie deadpans, “Oh.” It was literally a moment where you could tell the people in the writers room literally didn’t even try to write a line.

The new Helgenberger character is pretty hilarious. It almost seems as if she has been hate-watching the show for the past two seasons and then got the chance to come on the show and see if she could moustache-twirl worse than anyone else on the show. I can’ t believe she said the “life force” line with a straight face. (Or did she actually keep a straight face?)

20. Well this is fun. It's turned from whatever the heck it was into an us versus them show where half the people are freaked out and the other half are fighting the first half and man I like this season better than the first two. Yeah, it is bad, but now it is also fun! At least for me. Now I'm off so I can go back to watching @midnight.

21. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

It certainly lost a lot of it's audience in the first few episode from this season ((certainly if the FB page is anything to go by), but it's kinda getting interesting again.

I like the show, when I look past the terrible dialogue, acting, cliches, characters, psychology, consistency, logic...

D-rock likes this.
  22. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Funny you mentioned Zoo. They announced it will be EXTENDED from the original run of 6 episodes. Here we go again........ Glad I didn't get involved with that one!

Back to Dome......strange to see Julia and Big Jim on the same side...somewhat. This thing is getting more and more strange each week. Sometimes I wonder what kind(s) of chemicals King is on when writing this stuff.

23. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I believe the only things King wrote for the television show was the first episode of last year's series and maybe one in the first year. Unless you count writing his name while endorsing the checks. He does that plenty.

24. King has never been one to impose himself too much on licensed adaptations. This season has continued the wackiness from prior seasons. The cast are having fun with their characters, often chewing the scenery when they speak their lines. I think everyone working on Under the Dome now realizes it's not a good show and rolling with it. Which actually makes it a bit of fun.

I don't know why I enjoy this show's cheesy goodness. The showrunners are doing things more tongue-in-cheek this season with a wink at the audience. The ratings have declined a bit this year, which is disappointing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.