Underrated guitarists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stratosphear, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratosphear

stratosphear New Member Thread Starter

Who are the most underrated guitarists in music, in your opinion?

1st, a couple of ground rules:
    1. The guitarist in question must not be a traditional "guitar god",i.e. one who routinely makes the polls of top guitarists in guitar magazines and such. Just because YOU don't think Hendrix is praised by enough people doesn't make him underrated(I have heard this expressed before).
    2. The guitarist must have at least 5 cds/lps in their oeuvre. While somewhat of an arbitrary number, I feel we need at least that much to properly assess the guitarists in question. This would also eliminate fine guitarists such as the late Danny Gatton, who had a tragically short-lived but amazing career--he's not so much as underrated as unheard of. I'm looking for guitarists that the average music fan has probably heard something by, but never stopped to consider how awesome they are

I will start the bidding with
    1.Glenn Tilbrook from Squeeze
    2.Davey Johnstone from Elton John's band
    3.Nick Salomon of The Bevis Frond

Any others?

Chris W

2. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

This guy is pretty good

Local Hawaiian guy called Makana. If you have never heard Hawaiian Slack key, listen to this. This kid is good. Even though he calls me "pops", he's still good :edthumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXiJbEFFwA

starduster likes this.
  3. titaniumman

titaniumman New Member

Rusty Anderson
    Prince

4. Jeff56

Jeff56 Forum Resident

Mick Mars

5. aaron313

aaron313 Member

Rivers Cuomo - Weezer

He helped pioneer early 90s alternative rock, and his work on the "Blue Album" is perfect. It is so subtle and complex for what it is; his solos are economical, appropriate, and inventive. If Cobain can sail to the top of "best guitarist" lists, surely this guy merits more mentions as a guitar god of sorts.

Mechanical Man and KaptKopter like this.
  6. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

J Mascis -- Dinosaur Jr. -- good lord, he makes it howl

Stephen Malkmus -- Pavement, Silver Jews, the Jicks -- might be my favorite player of all time.

Jeff

7. Thanks for posting that. I have heard some really impressive slack key guitar but never watched a real expert play.

I'd also list Gabby Pahinui, probably not underrated in Hawaii but hardly heard of in the other 49 states.

8. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Jim Mankey (Sparks, Concrete Blonde) - great player with truly original style... not an easy thing to accomplish.

Steve Hackett (Genesis) - first guy I heard do the tapping thing that EVH took to the bank.

Mike Campbell (Tom Petty) - have to include this guy in my picks because he never wastes a note... immaculate player, every solo and part he plays just seems perfect to me.

BluesOvertookMe and MrBigShow like this.
  9. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Terry Kath from Chicago.

MrBigShow likes this.
  10. Grunherz54

Grunherz54 Forum Resident

Pete Ham - Badfinger

KaptKopter and MrBigShow like this.
  11. ljuddpro

ljuddpro Forum Resident

Bill Kirchen

12. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars; Black Crowes)

13. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

Rick Emmett - Triumph
    Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden
    Kim Thayil - Soundgarden
    Jerry Cantrell - Alice in Chains

14. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Declan Sinnott - guitarist for many Mary Black and Christy Moore recordings.

15. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Lindsey Buckingham
    Peter Frampton
    and as always, Alex Lifeson

blackmoreb35 likes this.
  16. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Rick Nielson - Cheap Trick
    David Bromberg

17. Dream Operator

Dream Operator New Member

Steve Stevens - Billy Idol and solo.

Not sure if he has done work outside of those two situations. Flamenco A Go-Go is a really fun album filled with great guitar work. DVD-A is the way to go on that one (OOP though :().

Tim

18. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yep. I saw Badfinger live in the early Seventies, and Pete was like Cream era Clapton. He was really blazing on guitar,even though he had to stay within their Beatles- like format. Remarkably good playing from a guy in a "pop" band.

Had Pete chosen to, he might have done even better for himself going out as a "rawk/blooze god" kind of guy, as was the fashion of the era. Badfinger did well even though their style of pop music was going OUT of fashion, as heavier music was coming into fashion. He could have just as easily leaned in that direction.

We have had a variation of this thread before, and I never tire of mentioning Justin Hayward . If he ever played a bad or inappropriate note, I have never heard it. Yet, his playing isn't boring.

Most of the world doesn't know about Tommy Emmanuel, and they don't know what they are missing.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  19. Just who I was thinking of, but didn't mention because he does get a lot of credit in indie/alt-rock circles. But yeah, he's one of the few rock guitarists I whsh would solo more! He might not be the most technical player, but his work is so full of feeling.

Good call. A very understated yet skilled player.

20. Master Shake

Master Shake Forum Resident

Buck-'Donald Roeser'-Dharma.

21. egosheep

egosheep New Member

Johnny Marr - The Smiths

Considering how young he was and how shortlived the band was, I'm shocked that I never see any guitar magazine features on his guitar work. Maybe in the UK but never here... I think he qualifies.

22. waynenet

waynenet New Member

Roger McGuinn

That solo on "Eight Miles High" says it all!

Also Mike Rutherford of Genesis who is often in the shadow of Steve Hackett...his understated rhythm approach is very tasteful to me ("Invisible Touch", "No Son of Mine", "Calling All Stations") making him an excellent guitarist. And his solos on And Then There Were Three are probably his best.

23. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

24. cparamo

cparamo Active Member

Michael Rother

25. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Eric Johnson

kozy814 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.